Wood Or Metal?

Considering that metal bats only last about a year and a half to 2 years and cost $300.00 and wood bats can be bought for $40.00 I dont think that there is that much more expense. That's about 7 1/2 wood bats to one metal bat.

BTW, I have enjoyed your avatars lately.

Thanks on the avatars, I'm trying to mix it up a little. :thumb:

I should have clarified on the $$$$, what I meant was the money which the metal bat manufactures have put into with regards to design, manufacturing, testing and than with the sales being sky-rocketing, combined with lobbying. They will fight that until the bitter end. :thumb:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I have to thank STRIKE 3 for the Jim Palmer avatar. I'm shocked and pleased to see my all-time favorite baseball player. I've got a Palmer action photo (circa 1975) on my office wall.

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I have to thank STRIKE 3 for the Jim Palmer avatar. I'm shocked and pleased to see my all-time favorite baseball player. I've got a Palmer action photo (circa 1975) on my office wall.
You are welcome and he's one of the most exciting pitchers, to play and what a competitor.

Wood. High school and college should go to wood bats. It would eliminate wasted draft picks because of inflated numbers. A lot of players have trouble adjusting to the wood bats, this would separate the ball players from the "assisted" ball players.

Great point. That can help raise the stats up BIG TIME.

To look at things at a different angle, if all leagues went to wooden bats, I think those leagues would produce better pure hitters. Instead of kids swinging for the fences on every pitch they would learn to swing for the gaps and learn that an outside pitch should be hit to the opposite field. This would reward the pitchers who make good pitches while also teaching kids the proper way of hitting. Sure numbers would be down, but the overall talent would improve. Pitchers would be able to retake the inner half of the plate, and hitters would reap the benefits of learning to hit a baseball hard using proper techniques instead of relying on technology.

Its getting to the point were one must question whether its the players getting better or if the technology has improved so much it covers up the flaws in a swing. Today's bats are so "giving" that a ball hit 4 inches above the hands is now a line drive and a ball 2 inches above the hands is still a seeing eye single. Let's go to wood so kids will learn to keep their hands inside the baseball.

To look at things at a different angle, if all leagues went to wooden bats, I think those leagues would produce better pure hitters. Instead of kids swinging for the fences on every pitch they would learn to swing for the gaps and learn that an outside pitch should be hit to the opposite field. This would reward the pitchers who make good pitches while also teaching kids the proper way of hitting. Sure numbers would be down, but the overall talent would improve. Pitchers would be able to retake the inner half of the plate, and hitters would reap the benefits of learning to hit a baseball hard using proper techniques instead of relying on technology.

Its getting to the point were one must question whether its the players getting better or if the technology has improved so much it covers up the flaws in a swing. Today's bats are so "giving" that a ball hit 4 inches above the hands is now a line drive and a ball 2 inches above the hands is still a seeing eye single. Let's go to wood so kids will learn to keep their hands inside the baseball.

Great post RNC....too many kids are metal bat swingers, instead of baseball hitters.

If these new metal alloy bats are so much better where is all the power? Back in the day, in the 15th regional tournament every team had three or four guys who could go yard. I have been to the last two tournaments and have only seen one or two players who had a CHANCE of going long. In our area I have seen no true power hitters. :confused:

Yes sir...or ma'am. I think sir though. :thumb:

If these new metal alloy bats are so much better where is all the power? Back in the day, in the 15th regional tournament every team had three or four guys who could go yard. I have been to the last two tournaments and have only seen one or two players who had a CHANCE of going long. In our area I have seen no true power hitters. :confused:

That's because there aren't as many good hitters anymore. If you played in the early 90's you would've seen kids that put good swings on the ball that hit a few out. Now, you see kids that swing for the fences and it's all or nothing, the majority of the time it's nothing. Anyone approaching 200 lbs thinks they're big enough to be a power hitter. Shoot the gaps and get on base for Pete's sake.

That's because there aren't as many good hitters anymore. If you played in the early 90's you would've seen kids that put good swings on the ball that hit a few out. Now, you see kids that swing for the fences and it's all or nothing, the majority of the time it's nothing. Anyone approaching 200 lbs thinks they're big enough to be a power hitter. Shoot the gaps and get on base for Pete's sake.
Agreed, a lot of young hitters have false hopes when advancing from youth leagues, with regards to their own power. Metal or alloy bats, give a lot a false sense of hitting ability and some develop upper-cut swings, that are mere pop-ups at the next level. Quite an adjustment for some.

Most HS fences are 300'± and hitting for average, finding the gaps and contact should be the emphasis of today's hitters.

Agreed, a lot of young hitters have false hopes when advancing from youth leagues, with regards to their own power. Metal or alloy bats, give a lot a false sense of hitting ability and some develop upper-cut swings, that are mere pop-ups at the next level. Quite an adjustment for some.

Most HS fences are 300'± and hitting for average, finding the gaps and contact should be the emphasis of today's hitters.

I could do this all day. :thumb: :ylsuper:

I agree with all. Wood is better for the game and a lot safer.

Agreed completly. Metal is dangerous, not that wood is completly safe, but metal bats are tough. I am taking a coaching baseball class here at school and our teacher has coached everywhere from high school, to georgetown college, to the university of kentucky, and he told us just today he would play third basemen on bunts much differently than aluminum, simply to give them more of a shot should a liner catch them. I also agree that wood bats would help the create more pure hitters, and generally help in player developement.

What would everyone prefer? Wooden Bats or Metal Bats?

Either one is fine with me. I absolutely love the sound of a ball hitting a wooden bat, but seeing the ball go farther with a metal bat is a definite plus as well. I personally think that wooden bats should be used for High School because it prepares players who might be playing at the next level and maybe beyond that as well......