1st Region Week 3 Review

silo11

Week Three Review:

McCracken County is flexing its muscles and continue to prove they are the cream of the crop. Marshall is busy playing outside the state, so it hard to determine how good they are against KY competition. Paducah Tilghman has been the biggest mover of the week after a 7 game winning streak, and Murray is hanging on to the 3rd spot. Here is what happened this past week in Region 1:

1. McCracken County

Season Record: 7-3

McCracken continues to impress even in the loss they took this week at the King of the Bluegrass. The Mustangs took BGP#4 Male to the limit, but yielded to them in overtime 65-56. They did win their other games against LaRue County and Fairdale, and have a rematch against BGP#6 Madisonville-North Hopkins for 5th place. Sivills continues to lead the Mustangs with 21.3 ppg.

2. Marshall County

Season Record: 3-6

Hard to justify why a 3-6 team is ranked 2nd in the region, and the answer is the schedule. Marshall County has played the toughest schedule in the region facing a lot of nationally recognized out of state teams. They are actually 3-2 in Kentucky, losing to two BGP top 10 teams in close games. They currently are in Florida playing in the national City of Palms classic where they lost to Ft. Myers in Overtime before being blasted by Roman Catholic (PA). The next KY team they play is Ballard, another top 10 team in KY, on Dec 28.

3. Murray

Season Record: 7-2

The Tigers played 4 games this week and rolled off three wins, losing only to Marshall County 69-55. In the loss, it shows that the Tigers are quite ready to compete with Marshall or McCracken yet, but I feel they will before the end of the season. They defeated McLean County, Todd County Central, and Owensboro Catholic in the Hebrews 12 Christmas Classic. They will face off next week in a Holiday Classic in Russellville.

4. Paducah Tilghman

Season Record: 7-2

The Blue Tornado have come on strong winning their 4 games this week and now own a 7 game winning streak. They defeated Henderson County, Cairo (IL), Calloway County, and University Heights. The biggest win would be against Calloway who at the time was ranked above them in the region. Eli Brown had 22 points and Michael Laster 14 points in the win. Tilghman will face a couple teams from Tennessee next week before facing off against Christian County after the new year.

5. Calloway County

Season Record: 6-3

The Lakers won 3 of 4 this week, but they lost the big one against Paducah Tilghman. Calloway was making progress rising through the region 1 ranks until they met the Tornado, losing 61-52. The Lakers were able to defeat Graves County, University Heights, and Cairo (IL). They will play Murray Bank Tipoff Classic next week.

6. Carlisle County

Season Record: 5-4

The Comets won two of three this week, defeating Livingston Central and Fulton City, but losing to Mayfield by 3. Carlisle will be playing in a Holiday tournament in Russellville next week and open against Hart County.

7. St. Mary

Season Record: 6-3

The Vikings seem to struggle in back to back games for the first time this season losing handily to both Graves County and Mayfield. They were able to defeat Trigg County 61-52. They will go across the Ohio River to play in the Carbondale Holiday Classic.

8. Graves County

Season Record:4-5

The Eagles opened the week with a 10 point loss to Calloway County, and then bounced back nicely winning their next three games. Graves was able to defeat Ballard Memorial, St. Mary, and Hancock County all quite easily. Seth Thomas (15.2 ppg) and Race Richards (12 ppg) are leading the way. They will travel to Gulf Breeze, Fl for a holiday tournament.

9. Mayfield

Season Record:3-2

Mayfield is starting to get their feet under them after a late start to the season. The Cardinals played a formidable game against McCracken County, but just couldn’t keep up losing 67-46. They turned around and defeated both Carlisle County and Fort Campbell. They will play in the Murray Bank Tipoff Classic next week.

10. Fulton County

Season Record: 3-3

The Pilots struggled against two teams from Tennessee losing by 9 and 6 points respectively. They will play in the Murray Bank Tipoff Classic next week.

11. Fulton City

Season Record: 1-3

Fulton City lost their only game this week against Carlisle County 59-49. They will play in the Gibson County Christmas Classic next week.

12. Hickman County

Season Record: 3-5

The Falcons were able to defeat Ballard Memorial 69-62, before losing all 3 games in the Hebrews 12 Coffee Christmas Classic to Butler County, Owensboro Catholic, and McLean County. They will play in the Gibson County Christmas Classic next.

13. Ballard Memorial

Season Record: 2-8

The Bombers dropped three of their four games this week, defeating Dawson Springs 69-63 for their second win of the season. They play Lyon County on Dec 23 and then don’t play again until Jan 2.

14. Community Christian

Season Record: 0-9

The Warriors lost their only game this week 76-49 to Hickman County. They will again after the new year.

Player of the Week

Michael Laster, Paducah Tilghman

Senior Michael Laster scored 19 points against Cairo (IL), 14 points against Calloway County, and 20 points against University Heights, all 3 wins for PT.

If you would have told me when the season started that this Tilghman team would have won 7 in a row at any point in the season, I would have probably called you crazy.

They have certainly played better than expected with what they have. Coach Overstreet has done a tremendous job.

Going to have to beat a top 4 team in region 1 or 2 before I get on the Tilghman bandwagon.

I'm not sure they stack up very sell against the top teams. I'm just happy they are where they are, which is much better than we hoped.

Things weren't looking good for them heading into the season. If I had to rate them on a 1-10 scale with 5 being average, I would have had them between a 3-4 this year. I think they peak at a 6-7 now, which is fine with me.