Tua undergoes Trapeze surgery for high ankle sprain

Oldercoach

Alabama's QB Tua underwent a relatively state of the art surgery today to a 2nd degree high ankle sprain suffered in the 2nd qtr Sat. against Tennessee. The surgery entails drilling into both lower leg bones and running wires(?) that are tightened to diminish the torgue/splaying apart of the tibia and fibia bones when the connecting ligaments are strained as lateral cuts are made. He underwent the same surgery on the opposite ankle last year when 28 days recovery allowed him to play in the championship playoff series. He said afterward he was 80-85% healed. The timing of this surgery leaves him 20 days to heal for the critical LSU game.

Has Coach Saban put Alabama's goals ahead of Tua's longterm health? Or, has Saban simply positioned the best case scenario as a possibility and the final decision will be made later? I personally think it is the latter, but I am troubled that Tua says he was only 80+% healthy last year in the playoffs.

I believe it's a Tight Rope procedure not Trapeze procedure.

I was reading an article a doctor wrote and said it’s debatable if it’s even necessary right now. Sounds like it’s not the norm and might be coming on as an exploratory shortcut.

Edited by John Anthony