Ashland 21 Russell 14

GOREDDEVILS

Tough way to lose one for Russell. They did a good job all night of keeping Hester and Pittman hemmed in, and they give up the game winning touchdown on a 97 yard touchdown pass from Jake Gregg to JT Garrett late in the fourth. Russell came out smoking, but Ashland held it together and answered Russell's early onslaught. The goal line stand by the Tomcats in the fourth was huge. Ashland and Ironton are the only two teams that have stoned the Red Devils in that situation this season.

Regardless of the outcome, it's great to see the competitive spirit restored to this series. Both sides brought it tonight. This was the Ashland/Russell rivalry at its finest.

I want to give a special mention to Ethan Sanders, who laid the wood to Keontae Pittman in the Tomcat backfield not once, but twice tonight. Pittman might see Sanders in his sleep for the next few nights. To Pittman's credit though, he shook off those hits and displayed some toughness.

Overall, a really, really good football game that didn't go Russell's way. I like this team a lot. They are more than capable, imo, of returning the favor at Putnam in a few weeks, if that's how this all shakes out.

I want to give a special mention to Ethan Sanders, who laid the wood to Keontae Pittman in the Tomcat backfield not once, but twice tonight. Pittman might see Sanders in his sleep for the next few nights. To Pittman's credit though, he shook off those hits and displayed some toughness.

Overall, a really, really good football game that didn't go Russell's way. I like this team a lot. They are more than capable, imo, of returning the favor at Putnam in a few weeks, if that's how this all shakes out.

And Ethan is playing with an injured arm as well. Tough kid.

Is be interested in everyone’s thoughts about whether the coaches showed all their cards tonight or whether they played vanilla knowing their would be a rematch in 4 weeks.

Played it close to the vest. If I had to guess, neither coach would have been too upset to lose this meeting. They were playing for the next meeting.

Played it close to the vest. If I had to guess, neither coach would have been too upset to lose this meeting. They were playing for the next meeting.

Does that mean coaches are not as big on “home field advantage” as fans are?

Does that mean coaches are not as big on “home field advantage” as fans are?

I think coaches are bigger on controlling things, when they can, and would gladly give up a win in the regular season to get a bigger win in the playoffs.