1) 5A Covington Catholic (1-0) – The Colonels put up their first running clock of the season, beating 6A Ryle (0-1) in a 37-0 shutout in Park Hills. Cov Cath put up their first 6 points on a 76yd TD pass from Caleb Jacob Michael Mayer on the 2nd play of the game. On defense, they held Ryle to 79 total yards offense, intercepted the Raiders 5 times, and sacked the QB 4 times. The Colonels still have some polishing to do, particularly on offense, after having at least 3 touchdowns “left on the field” in the game, but the ship is still certainly headed in the right direction. Caleb Jacob 12-23 passing for 207yds, 3 TDs, and 2 INTs. Michael Mayer 2 receptions for 106yds and 2 TDs, 7 tackles, and 1 INT. Cov Cath will head to Alexandria on Friday to take on the 6A Campbell County Camels (0-1) in their first game on the road.

2) 5A Highlands (1-0) – Highlands may have started off a little flat on Friday, trailing 4A Scott (0-1) for most of the first quarter, but they definitely got things back into gear in the second half. Coming out of the halftime locker room with a 28-13 lead, the Birds finished off the game with two un-answered TDs to win 42-13. Jake Fahlbusch and Collin Hollingsworth double-teamed quarterbacking duties in the game, combining for 227yds in the air. The offense also had 57yrds on the ground. The Highlands defense had a strong performance in the game, coming up with 4 interceptions and 1 fumble recovery, including a pick-six by Jacob Brass. They also held Scott’s offense to 216 total yards of offense. Highlands will travel to Corbin on Saturday to take on 1-0 Knoxville Catholic (TN) in the Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic.

3) 2A Beechwood (0-0) – The Tigers didn’t have any action in Week 0. They open their season on Friday at Georgetown College against 1A Paintsville (1-0).

4) 6A Simon Kenton (1-0) – Simon Kenton started things off for 2019 with one in the W column, heading down to Lexington and coming home with a 38-27 win after beating 6A Henry Clay (0-1) in the Bumblebee/Mingua Beef Jerky Showdown at Lafayette High School. The Pioneers started a freshman QB, Chase Crone, who was 7-10 passing for 50yds and 1 TD, and rushed for another 62yds and 2 TDs. Erik Brown, who also doubled as a QB last year, spent most of the game in the backfield alongside QB Crone, and rushed for 198yds and 1 TD in addition to throwing a 30yd TD pass to WR Landon Meyer. The Simon Kenton defense intercepted Henry Clay 4 times, and Jack Milton led the D with 8 tackles and 1 sack. The Pioneers will host the Anderson (OH) Redskins on Friday in the Redskins’ first game of the season.

5) 5A Conner (1-0) – Another team that was a little slow to get started on this past weekend, the game on Saturday between Conner and 6A Madison Central (0-1) was scoreless at the end of the 1st quarter. The Cougars brought a change to that, though, scoring on their first possession of the 2nd quarter and then adding on another 2nd quarter TD after the Indians’ responded with a TD of their own. Conner won 27-6, with senior QB Jared Hicks passing for 147yds and 2 TDs, and rushing for another TD. Receivers Justin Daniels and Drew Siegmundt each had a TD catch, and the remaining TD came on a 17yd jet-sweep by WR Colton Roy. The defense was able to intercept Madison Central 3 times, and forced a fumble for a 4th turnover. Conner will head to Union on Friday to challenge 6A Ryle (0-1).

6) 1A Newport Central Catholic (1-0) – The Thoroughbreds had a great start out of the gate on Friday, coming home from Alexandria with a 29-13 win over 6A Campbell County (0-1). Senior QB Paul Kremer had a very solid first performance of the season, passing for 151yds and 3 TDs, and rushing for one more TD. WR Caleb Jefferson came in with 99yds and 2 TDs on 3 receptions, and Joe Doeker had the remaining TD on a 7yd reception. The New Cath offense totaled for 272 total yards in the game, and the Breds defense was able to hold the Camels to 181 total yards of offense, in addition to having 3 interceptions and 1 fumble recovery. Newport Central Catholic will host 5A Cooper (1-0) in Newport on Friday.

7) 4A Scott (0-1) – If there was one stat that would be interesting to go back and find, it would be what the longest amount of time Scott has ever held a lead over 5A Highlands (1-0) in the history of the series. With the game at 0-0 for more than half of the 1st quarter on Friday, Scott took the lead with 5:48 left in the quarter and held on for the next 2 minutes and 16 seconds. Even still, the Eagles managed to keep the Birds from taking a lead in the game until there was only 34 seconds left in the half. Jackson Hardin and Cameron Patterson both caught TD receptions giving Scott both of their two trips to the endzone in the 42-13 loss. It was the turnover battle that sealed the deal in Highlands’ victory over Scott, though, with the Birds intercepting the ball 5 times in the contest. Scott will see action again on Friday when they host 2A Lloyd Memorial (1-0), with the Juggernauts heading to Taylor Mill fresh off of a 30-6 victory over 2A Walton-Verona (0-1).

8) 6A Ryle (0-1) – Ryle started off their season with the monumental task of taking on 5A Covington Catholic (1-0) at Cov Cath after finishing 2-9 on the season last year. Unfortunately for Ryle, they headed back to Union on the losing end of a 37-0 shutout. Ryle’s offense struggled to get anything going, finishing with only 89 total yards in the loss. The Raiders had their only 1st down of the half on the final play of the second quarter, and didn’t manage a drive into Covington Catholic territory until the Colonels had already put 30 points on the score board. RB Kyle England worked hard for the offense, but found himself stymied at the line of scrimmage more often than not. Ryle’s defense did look stout, limiting the Colonels to only 102yds rushing, but it didn’t prove enough this week. The Raiders will be looking to dust themselves off and come back on Friday in their home opener against 5A Conner (1-0).

9) 5A Cooper (1-0) – It may not have been the prettiest win, but a win is a win, and the Jaguars are 1-0 after handing 6A Dixie Heights (0-1) a 7-0 loss in the season opener on Friday. Sophomore QB Drew Warth had the start on Friday, with Jeremiah Lee starting at WR. Warth was 9-22 passing for 126yds and the team’s lone TD on a 69yd connection to WR Xavier Smith. Smith led the offense with 79yds of the team’s 126yds receiving, and RB Brendon Tye led the running game with 44yds. Senior safety Anthony Witschey led the defensive effort for Cooper with 12 tackles including 2 tackles for a loss, and 1 interception. DB Zach Armour had 2 interceptions and safey Chester Hale added a fumble recovery. The Jags will head to Newport to take on 1A Newport Central Catholic (1-0) on Friday.

10) 6A Campbell County (0-1) – The Camels are definitely working at rebuilding after being hit heavily on both sides of the ball by their 2019 graduating class. Friday’s game ended in Campbell County’s first loss of the season, with a 29-13 loss coming at the hands of 1A Newport Central Catholic (1-0). Junior QB Justin Little was 8-20 passing for 68yds and 1 TD in the game, connecting with WR Evan Barnes for a 23yd TD reception in the 4th quarter. Junior RB Crosley Gray carried 17 times for 77yds, including the Camels one remaining TD on a 3yd run in the 1st quarter. The offense totaled 184yds in the game, while the defense held the Thoroughbreds to 173 total yards of offense. Campbell County will host 5A Covington Catholic (1-0) on Friday.

TRENDING UP

2A Carroll County (1-0) – Despite a coaching change for the 2019 season, the Panthers started off their season with a 14-12 win over 1A Ludlow (0-1).

2A Lloyd Memorial (1-0) – The Juggs are off to a 1-0 start after beating 2A Walton-Verona (0-1) by a final score of 30-6. This makes Lloyd’s 4th straight win over the Bearcats, with the last loss dating back to 2013.

1A Newport Central Catholic (1-0) – Things are certainly looking up for the Breds after starting their season off with a 29-13 win over 6A Campbell County (0-1) in the season opener.

TRENDING DOWN

6A Campbell County (0-1) – We knew it was going to be tough for Campbell County starting off this year with so many new faces on the starting roster, but a 6A loss to a 1A team is never the way you want to start off your season. The Camels lost 29-13 to 1A Newport Central Catholic (1-0) in their first game.

5A Cooper (1-0) – After starting off ranked 5th in northern Kentucky in the pre-season power rankings, the Jags weren’t able to get much going offensively in their 7-0 win over 6A Dixie Heights (0-1), and drop to #9.

6A Ryle (0-1) – The Raiders dropped to the #8 spot in the power rankings after starting off in the #7 spot in the pre-season edition of the rankings. This comes following a 37-0 shutout loss to 5A Covington Catholic (1-0). Ryle’s offense stumbled, only managing 89 total yards in the game.

NORTHERN KENTUCKY STAR PERFORMANCES OF THE WEEK:

QB/DB Kaleal Davis (Newport) – Davis was 5 for 11 passing for 155yds and 1 TD, and rushed for 103yds and 2 TDs. Defensively he had 8 tackles including 1 tackle for a loss.

RB/LB Samuel Howard (Bishop Brossart) – Howard had 170 total yards on offense, including 141yds and 3 TDs on 16 carries, and 29yds on 2 receptions. Defensively he had 9 tackles including 2 tackles for a loss.

TE/LB Michael Mayer (Covington Catholic) Mayer had 106yds and 2 TDs on 2 receptions. Defensively he had 7 tackles and 1 interception.

WR/DB Brandon McClendon (Covington Holy Cross) – Howard had 155 total yards on offense, including 148yds and 2 TDs on 6 receptions, and 7yds on 1 carry. Defensively he had 3 tackles

RB Logan Sutherland (Grant County) – Sutherland had 177 total yards on offense, including 165 yards and 3 TDs on 27 carries, and 12yds on 2 receptions.

RB Dakota Thiel (Lloyd Memorial) – Thiel had 247 yards and 1 TD on 25 carries.

GAME OF THE WEEK: WEEK 1

2A Lloyd Memorial vs. 4A Scott

Coach Eric Turner will be facing the Lloyd Juggernauts for the first time after departing Lloyd to take over the head coaching job at Scott. The Eagles had a strong showing in the first half of their loss to 5A Highlands on Friday, and will be looking to unleash senior RB Quincy Perrin after Perrin was held to only 8yds rushing in Week 0. The Juggs will be looking to beat Scott after losing to the Eagles the last two years straight. The will be relying heavily on the rushing abilities of RB Dakota Thiel after Thiel put up nearly 250yds on the ground against 2A Walton-Verona last week in Lloyd’s win over the Bearcats.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

5) 5A Conner (1-0) – Another team that was a little slow to get started on Friday, the game between Conner and 6A Madison Central (0-1) was scoreless at the end of the 1st quarter.

I don't know much, but I do know that I saw a few members of Conner's football team at the CovCath vs Ryle game on Friday night, so I have to assume that Conner played a different day.

I don't know much, but I do know that I saw a few members of Conner's football team at the CovCath vs Ryle game on Friday night, so I have to assume that Conner played a different day.

Yep, that was my bad.

Conner played Madison Central in the Roy Kidd Bowl. Both games (Conner vs. Madison Central and Tates Creek vs. Madison Southern) were on Saturday.

Although losing to Cooper, I would add Dixie to the group of teams trending up. Holding Cooper to 7 points and under 200 total yards has to give Dixie some confidence heading into week 1 vs. GRC.

Hey Coach...welcome to BGP. I definitely don't disagree with you on thinking that defensive effort by Dixie is a step in the right direction. I usually tend to stick with 2 or 3 teams when I give my "trending up" and "trending down", but Dixie would have definitely been in the running for it if I had mentioned a 4th, along with Covington Holy Cross.

Hey Coach...welcome to BGP. I definitely don't disagree with you on thinking that defensive effort by Dixie is a step in the right direction. I usually tend to stick with 2 or 3 teams when I give my "trending up" and "trending down", but Dixie would have definitely been in the running for it if I had mentioned a 4th, along with Covington Holy Cross.

Almost forgot about Holy Cross getting that first win since 2016.