Would you go to NFL games if ...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the commercial breaks in NFL games ruin the game for me. Sitting in a stadium with all those commercial breaks just seems more like torture than entertainment.

Have you been to a big time college game recently? It makes the commercial breaks during NFL games seem fast.

The Buc tailgates that I've attended are much more elaborate than any I've been part of before college games. I used to tailgate in the same lot for both.

The USF tailgates, though large, were your basic grill out and drink beer affairs.

The Buccaneer tailgates in the same lot featured a pirate ship outfitted with a large sound system, MC/DJ, celebrity guests, a full liquor bar, and all the ribs, pulled pork, chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, and sides you could eat. All for a $20 donation. I've posted pictures of it on here.

Having said all that, I wouldn't go to a Bucs game, tailgate or not. Maybe if you paid me, but it would depend on how much.

Yes. I actually believe this question would probably be better posed to college football as opposed to NFL.

I agree. College tail gaiting usually involves the night before and is way more elaborate, and intense than the pro tailgating I've seen. I've been to college games at Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, and West Virginia. Even some smaller schools at the FCS, D2 and D3 level have pretty crazy tailgates. I think the fact that the pro's play on Sunday (and everyone has to work the next day), and most games are at 1pm, is what lightens things up a little compared to college.

What percent of people would no longer go to NFL games if there were no alcohol?

The reason I opened the thread and am asking these questions is I think the in person NFL product stinks. The commercial time makes the game drag. I don't like going to NFL games because of it. Instead of being stuck in a seat, at home I can fill that commercial time by roaming the house and doing other things while I watch. As I watched the Bengals from home Saturday night and the commercials went on and on, I was reminded how bad it is if you are stuck in the stadium during that time. This has nothing to do with it being pre-season or being the Bengals. I have the same feelings about regular season games.

If the no drinking cuts down on the foul mouthed, know it all, play by play guys...then yes, I would be more inclined to go back with my son.

I won't even take my son to a regular season game, unless it's a private box. Every game I've been to during the regular season, I'm surrounded by those type of people along with those that want to fight every opposing fan in site.

I agree. College tail gaiting usually involves the night before and is way more elaborate, and intense than the pro tailgating I've seen. I've been to college games at Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, and West Virginia. Even some smaller schools at the FCS, D2 and D3 level have pretty crazy tailgates. I think the fact that the pro's play on Sunday (and everyone has to work the next day), and most games are at 1pm, is what lightens things up a little compared to college.

I think it depends on the NFL team. No way FCS, D2 and D3 tailgates are more elaborate than an NFL team, especially a good one.

I think it depends on the NFL team. No way FCS, D2 and D3 tailgates are more elaborate than an NFL team, especially a good one.

Let me restate this. Of course, small colleges won't have tailgates on the same scale as large colleges or NFL games. But while there may only be a few thousand people, things can still get pretty intense and wild. Whenever you have a large gathering of college kids and alcohol, things can get pretty crazy.

What percent of people would no longer go to NFL games if there were no alcohol?

The reason I opened the thread and am asking these questions is I think the in person NFL product stinks. The commercial time makes the game drag. I don't like going to NFL games because of it. Instead of being stuck in a seat, at home I can fill that commercial time by roaming the house and doing other things while I watch. As I watched the Bengals from home Saturday night and the commercials went on and on, I was reminded how bad it is if you are stuck in the stadium during that time. This has nothing to do with it being pre-season or being the Bengals. I have the same feelings about regular season games.

While I don't think the in person experience stinks, I do agree there's a ton of downtime in games that you don't realize exists when watching the game at home. But college games are just as bad, if not worse, because they've got just as many tv timeouts, and the game takes longer. Despite this, there's not much sports wise that rivals the atmosphere of a big time NFL or college football game.