UConn to Join the Big East

swamprat

The official announcement is suppose to be tomorrow, but UConn is leaving the AAC and "returning" to the Big East in all sports except football. They and the Big East want the move to be effective by the 2020-21 season.

The American Athletic Conference has indicated it will not keep UConn as a football only school, so the Huskies will probably go independent, unless they are picked up by the MAC or CUSA. They will have to pay the AAC a $10 million exit fee.

UConn football will have to go independent. Don't see the MAC or C-USA picking them up without their other sports. Maybe they can try to get a deal with ESPN+ but I can easily see their football team going back to FCS.

The interesting question is who does the American add to replace them? WKU would be an interesting choice, but their mediocre media market hurts them. If the conference wants to add a football/basketball school, though, WKU has one of the better combos of that relative to other candidates like UMass, FIU, or VCU.

UConn football will have to go independent. Don't see the MAC or C-USA picking them up without their other sports. Maybe they can try to get a deal with ESPN+ but I can easily see their football team going back to FCS.

The interesting question is who does the American add to replace them? WKU would be an interesting choice, but their mediocre media market hurts them. If the conference wants to add a football/basketball school, though, WKU has one of the better combos of that relative to other candidates like UMass, FIU, or VCU.

Reports are the AAC is not going to add anyone. They will stop division play in football and the two highest ranked teams will have a playoff for the top conference bowl berth.

Reports are the AAC is not going to add anyone. They will stop division play in football and the two highest ranked teams will have a playoff for the top conference bowl berth.

It should be this way in every conference. I like it.