Kentucky AP Voting For Preps Polls/Awards

Oldercoach

LexHerald treated this award almost as a non-event with the announcement buried very bottom right corner of lead sports page. Accidental???? Purposefully, because of changing commit to U.K.? I think it was no accident and would have merited a prominent location and expansive article on his outstanding career had he stayed a Cat.

I also wonder if this particular Mr. Ky. Football award is about to be replaced by the Coach's Mr. Ky Football Award more timely awarded by a much more boots-on-the-ground, knowledgeable and geographically dispersed group.

LexHerald treated this award almost as a non-event with the announcement buried very bottom right corner of lead sports page. Accidental???? Purposefully, because of changing commit to U.K.? I think it was no accident and would have merited a prominent location and expansive article on his outstanding career had he stayed a Cat.

I also wonder if this particular Mr. Ky. Football award is about to be replaced by the Coach's Mr. Ky Football Award more timely awarded by a much more boots-on-the-ground, knowledgeable and geographically dispersed group.

Not many people read the paper anymore. The Herald Leader did a great job of not only announcing that he won the award but tagging his social media profile when they mentioned that he won the AP Mr. Football Award.

I do think that it would have been a front page story had he stayed at UK but Josh Moore does a damn good job covering HS sports for the Herald Leader. He doesn’t deserve any criticism for the layout of the paper.

I do think the Coach’s Mr. Football Award will soon take over as THE Mr. Football Award to win.

Not many people read the paper anymore. The Herald Leader did a great job of not only announcing that he won the award but tagging his social media profile when they mentioned that he won the AP Mr. Football Award.

I do think that it would have been a front page story had he stayed at UK but Josh Moore does a damn good job covering HS sports for the Herald Leader. He doesn’t deserve any criticism for the layout of the paper.

I do think the Coach’s Mr. Football Award will soon take over as THE Mr. Football Award to win.

No knock intended on Josh Moore at all. He does do a good job with what I suspect is minimal management support. I truly believe if LexHerald was committed to sports they would have figured out how to cure the deadline cutoffs so that most outcome reporting would actually be in the next day's paper rather than two days after. The AP award is so untimely and decided by such a small group of writers with limited exposure to anyone outside of their coverage area.

No knock intended on Josh Moore at all. He does do a good job with what I suspect is minimal management support. I truly believe if LexHerald was committed to sports they would have figured out how to cure the deadline cutoffs so that most outcome reporting would actually be in the next day's paper rather than two days after. The AP award is so untimely and decided by such a small group of writers with limited exposure to anyone outside of their coverage area.

You know the AP process for voting is bad when the actual voters are openly and loudly complaining about the process and the results.

From Aaron Snyder of the Ashland Daily Independent on Twitter:

Extremely, extremely disappointed with the AP All-State football voting process. Poor (virtually zero) communication among many factors that make the process a joke. We voted for 12 NEKY players who we felt deserving of at least HM. Three made the list.

Extremely, extremely disappointed with the AP All-State football voting process. Poor (virtually zero) communication among many factors that make the process a joke. We voted for 12 NEKY players who we felt deserving of at least HM. Three made the list.

Evan Dennison of the Maysville Ledger Independent replied to Aaron Snyder's Tweet with this:

Same here. ZERO kids from our area even got an honorable mention after I nominated them.

Zack Klemme of the Ashland Daily Independent quoted Aaron Snyder's Tweet and added the comments below:

Now, I tweet stuff like this all the time (probably too often), but when @DIndependentQB tweets something like this, it’s bad. (And he’s right.)

From the Lexington Herald-Leader's Josh Moore on Twitter regarding the 2018 AP All-State Football Team:

Original Tweet: See I know for a fact Graham Wald is the best kicker in the state. He didn't make 1st Team All State (Courier Journel [sic], USA Today) for no reason.

Josh Moore's Reply: IDK how USA Today works. Courier Journal is a statewide vote of coaches. Only 16 media voted for AP, good chance I was the only one who voted for Graham.

From the Lexington Herald-Leader's Josh Moore on Twitter regarding his vote for the first 2019 Kentucky AP High School Basketball Poll:

Original Tweet: How many of those 10 have you seen in person? Tough task to rank the entire state.

Josh Moore's Reply: I agree 100% and think voting is a little ridiculous for that reason, especially with so few of us voting any more. I've only see three of them this season (SC, Trinity and HC), but am familiar with styles/players on a few more.

Josh has zero control over deadline times just like Frakes has no control over the C-J's deadline times, just like any of the rest of us in that line of work has no control over deadlines. Has nothing to do with each paper's "commitment to sports." Those earlier deadline times come from places far above their — and even their publishers' — pay grade.

This is what the corporatization of journalism has brought us. Anymore, layout for these papers is done by a centralized hub (I think it's still the IndyStar for the C-J; not sure about the H-L) that has several papers lined up to lay out each day. It's why unless a game is done by 8pm, it doesn't make it into the next day's issue.

I've also said this lots of times on here over the years, but it bears repeating: The AP polls and All-State and other recognitions they do are severely limited in their scope and breadth.

Only media outlets that subscribe to the AP service — i.e., pay for it — are eligible to vote in the weekly polls and the season-ending All-State teams. It's a very expensive service, and most small media outlets can't (or won't) afford it. As a result, AP voters are clustered around the state's largest population centers. As another result, those All-State teams and weekly polls tend to be heavily biased toward athletes/teams from the state's larger population centers.

Don't read this as me taking a swipe at Aaron and what his team does at the ADI. I totally get it from his standpoint. Given the limited number of voters around the state, nobody else is going to vote for the kids from their area.