Kentucky AP Voting For Preps Polls/Awards

Oldercoach

Josh has zero control over deadline times just like Frakes has no control over the C-J's deadline times, just like any of the rest of us in that line of work has no control over deadlines. Has nothing to do with each paper's "commitment to sports." Those earlier deadline times come from places far above their — and even their publishers' — pay grade.

This is what the corporatization of journalism has brought us. Anymore, layout for these papers is done by a centralized hub (I think it's still the IndyStar for the C-J; not sure about the H-L) that has several papers lined up to lay out each day. It's why unless a game is done by 8pm, it doesn't make it into the next day's issue.

Could not agree with you more and this is why one renowned professor at U.K. refers this never ending efficiency process as "dumb sizing". In the name of cost cutting to make your processes more efficient make decisions that impair the quality of your product's demand. As demand shrinks further, more cost cutting steps are sought out and implemented that invariably make your product less attractive shrinking demand again. Rinse and repeat the cycle until you no longer have a viable product.

I've also said this lots of times on here over the years, but it bears repeating: The AP polls and All-State and other recognitions they do are severely limited in their scope and breadth.

Only media outlets that subscribe to the AP service — i.e., pay for it — are eligible to vote in the weekly polls and the season-ending All-State teams. It's a very expensive service, and most small media outlets can't (or won't) afford it. As a result, AP voters are clustered around the state's largest population centers. As another result, those All-State teams and weekly polls tend to be heavily biased toward athletes/teams from the state's larger population centers.

Don't read this as me taking a swipe at Aaron and what his team does at the ADI. I totally get it from his standpoint. Given the limited number of voters around the state, nobody else is going to vote for the kids from their area.

Jim Schue, I think you laid out the perfect explanation that the AP Award process is broken and simply needs to go away. Hope the coaches can be unbiased and run with this ball in as serious a fashion as they diligently coach their teams.

The system is flawed when a person who runs a football website pays for an AP subscription and is given a vote to ensure his son, who was not voted to his all-conference team by the coaches, is nominated and voted first team All-State.

Care to elaborate?

Aaron Snyder wrote a pretty pointed article in The Daily Independent yesterday regarding the nomination and voting for the AP All-State team. It seems like the two biggest issues are a disparity in EKY and NEKY voters, as well as some major issues with communication regarding nomination and voting windows. He even said there are names left off the email chains regarding nomination & voting. Sounds like, at the very least, someone needs to educate the Kentucky AP administrator on how to use the "create group" function in their email address book.

AARON SNYDER: Clean-up on Aisle All-State | Sports | dailyindependent.com

Aaron Snyder wrote a pretty pointed article in The Daily Independent yesterday regarding the nomination and voting for the AP All-State team. It seems like the two biggest issues are a disparity in EKY and NEKY voters, as well as some major issues with communication regarding nomination and voting windows. He even said there are names left off the email chains regarding nomination & voting. Sounds like, at the very least, someone needs to educate the Kentucky AP administrator on how to use the "create group" function in their email address book.

AARON SNYDER: Clean-up on Aisle All-State | Sports | dailyindependent.com

And that just about sums up the totally broken system revealed by an insider. The shocking reveal was the apparrent indifference, or sensitivity to the importance of the recognitions by those in charge. Just a shame.

• 1 year later...