NKY Basketball Spotlight - Mason Rusch

This time of the year all basketball fans are looking forward to the start of a season that seems to approach at a snail’s pace once your teams football season is over. If you are anything like me you look for key match-ups and key players to watch throughout the year.

All too often we overlook some of our best players that are playing at the smaller schools. It’s an easy thing to do. The CovCath’s, Cooper’s, etc. of the world get all of the pub so who would think of a school like Calvary Christian? Calvary Christian is the where junior Mason Rusch roams the halls.

Mason is the point guard for the Calvary Christian basketball team, and one of the most electrifying players you can go and watch at a small school. Last year, as a sophomore, Mason averaged 26.7 points per game. As a freshmen he averaged 13.9 points per game, and even more impressive is as an 8th grader he averaged 9.3 points per game. He joined the 1,000 point club during his sophomore season.

Often the argument for these players from the smaller schools is that they are playing a weaker level of competition, and it is a valid argument. Calvary Christian cannot and should not take on a schedule like the teams even within their own district do, but Rusch has put up numbers against the big schools too.

He played 10th region champion Campbell County twice last season. In the first game he scored 16, and in the second game, a district tournament game, he went off for 34 points. Mason scored 30 or more points in ten games last season, including a 42 point game in the first round of the district tournament. This goes along with scoring totals of 39 and 38 in other games during the season.

I challenge you as a basketball fan to give a big time player from a small school a chance. Get out and watch one of the best Northern Kentucky will have to offer this season. Go and watch him make things happen against a big school on the schedule.

Below are some of the best dates to catch Mason Rusch in action.

Nov 27th @ Pendleton Co.- 7:30PM- Yes, it’ll be a little bit of a drive, but you will get to see Mason play against UK signee, Dontaie Allen. In last years matchup Rusch scored 17 and Allen scored 24. It’ll be worth the drive!

Jan 8th @ Campbell Co.- 6:30PM- In district matchup. Last year Mason averaged 25 points per game in 2 games against the Camels.

Feb 7th @ Bishop Brossart- 7:30PM- In district matchup. Last year Rusch averaged 21 points per game in 2 games against the Mustangs.

This time of the year all basketball fans are looking forward to the start of a season that seems to approach at a snail’s pace once your teams football season is over. If you are anything like me you look for key match-ups and key players to watch throughout the year.

All too often we overlook some of our best players that are playing at the smaller schools. It’s an easy thing to do. The CovCath’s, Cooper’s, etc. of the world get all of the pub so who would think of a school like Calvary Christian? Calvary Christian is the where junior Mason Rusch roams the halls.

Mason is the point guard for the Calvary Christian basketball team, and one of the most electrifying players you can go and watch at a small school. Last year, as a sophomore, Mason averaged 26.7 points per game. As a freshmen he averaged 13.9 points per game, and even more impressive is as an 8th grader he averaged 9.3 points per game. He joined the 1,000 point club during his sophomore season.

Often the argument for these players from the smaller schools is that they are playing a weaker level of competition, and it is a valid argument. Calvary Christian cannot and should not take on a schedule like the teams even within their own district do, but Rusch has put up numbers against the big schools too.

He played 10th region champion Campbell County twice last season. In the first game he scored 16, and in the second game, a district tournament game, he went off for 34 points. Mason scored 30 or more points in ten games last season, including a 42 point game in the first round of the district tournament. This goes along with scoring totals of 39 and 38 in other games during the season.

I challenge you as a basketball fan to give a big time player from a small school a chance. Get out and watch one of the best Northern Kentucky will have to offer this season. Go and watch him make things happen against a big school on the schedule.

Below are some of the best dates to catch Mason Rusch in action.

Nov 27th @ Pendleton Co.- 7:30PM- Yes, it’ll be a little bit of a drive, but you will get to see Mason play against UK signee, Dontaie Allen. In last years matchup Rusch scored 17 and Allen scored 24. It’ll be worth the drive!

Jan 8th @ Campbell Co.- 6:30PM- In district matchup. Last year Mason averaged 25 points per game in 2 games against the Camels.

Feb 7th @ Bishop Brossart- 7:30PM- In district matchup. Last year Rusch averaged 21 points per game in 2 games against the Mustangs.

I have watched him in past years and I'm sure I'll catch him a few times this year. Agreed, the kid brings a game.

Thanks for the heads up @ChickenWyngz :thumb:

He's fallen under the radar for me as I didn't know about him, but I always dig hearing about exceptional players making big noise for teams that normally don't get much attention. I will keep an eye on his successes over the next couple of seasons, and will make a point of getting out to watch him in action.

Locally this brings to mind Bert Capel from Heritage Academy from the late 90's who was an exciting and incredibly dynamic player, and also Mitchell Blewitt from Covington Latin from about 5 years ago who broke Latin's boys all-time points record held by esteemed alumnus and former major league baseball star and MVP, David Justice '82.

Here's Mason Rusch's highlight film from last season...