Belfry 42 Garrard County 0

bugatti

Nice way to get the playoffs started for Belfry but it may have been costly.

For the second year in a row Belfry is facing having to make a playoff run without the brunt of their LB corps potentially.

Last year Belfry lost three of their 4 LBs by the Start of the 2nd Quarter against Central.

Seth Mounts has been bit by the injury bug all year and only a couple games after he returned from injury he left the game last night.

It seems injuries have been a storyline in 3A all year but no one has been hampered more this season than Belfry.

Injuries certainly have been a tough obstacle for the Pirates. That's especially true at the linebacker and fullback positions. Seems like a revolving door at those two spots and both are critical to Belfry's style of play.

Mounts, Cook, Lowe and Fields have all spent time on the DL at linebacker for the Pirates, and now they have a couple of them back, but they are still missing a couple. No word on who will be healthy for this Friday.

Belfry has used more fullbacks this year than most teams have used in their entire backfield. If I remember correctly, it was Hensley, Mounts, Coleman, Blankenship, Webb and Warren. Maybe another one or two, lol.

If it is a knee as it appeared, then I think this is the 3rd time Mounts has injured that knee over his first two seasons. That has to be concerning to the young man and his family.

As for the game, it was a typical first round game, and I mean that as no disrespect to the Lions of Garrard. Belfry had far superior speed in this one, and if all else were equal, that alone would have made a huge difference in the outcome. Garrard was big up front, and they were well coached and played hard, but in the end they were just outmatched on talent. The Lions had some success moving the ball, but were foiled by turnovers and they gave Belfry a short field a few times which was exactly what they didn't want to do.

It was good football weather, as a chill was in the air, and when the playoffs start, it just feels different. I really love November in Kentucky.