NAIA adding 8 new teams including Thomas More

rsmith6971

Thomas More is returning to the NAIA in the fall of 2019. They will be joining the Mid-South Conference.

The other seven teams will be joining the NAIA in July 2018.

Columbia International enters the NAIA as a member of the Appalachian Athletic Conference and Ottawa will compete in the Golden State Athletic Conference and Sooner Athletic Conference for football only. The other five schools will be members of the Association of Independent Institutions.

Follow this link for more information:

Thomas More approved to move to NAIA beginning in 2

I wonder why the move by Thomas More ?

They cited distance traveled in their entirely Pennsylvania conference. There are more local conferences but it seems like TMC wants to drop down. Recruiting restrictions are much less in NAIA and based on the trouble they got into recently there may have been a desire to leave that set of rules.

They cited distance traveled in their entirely Pennsylvania conference. There are more local conferences but it seems like TMC wants to drop down. Recruiting restrictions are much less in NAIA and based on the trouble they got into recently there may have been a desire to leave that set of rules.

Drop down? NAIA is a much more competitive, and expensive level, than D3. They’ll now be recruiting against the other NAIA and D2 powers in the tri-state area. I actually look for some of the NAIA schools in Kentucky to convert to D3 now that they’re requiring a minimum of 8 full scholarship players.

Drop down? NAIA is a much more competitive, and expensive level, than D3. They’ll now be recruiting against the other NAIA and D2 powers in the tri-state area. I actually look for some of the NAIA schools in Kentucky to convert to D3 now that they’re requiring a minimum of 8 full scholarship players.

I used the term "drop down" when I probably should have said "drop out" of the NCAA - it wasn't meant as a slight toward the NAIA programs in Kentucky, many of whom, like you said, are more skilled than some of the D3 schools.

From the article:

Administrators said Tuesday that the school has received an invitation to join the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the Mid-South Conference starting with the 2019-20 academic year. but has not made a formal decision whether to accept it or not.

It says they haven't made a decision yet, although it sounds like they will make the move.

I used the term "drop down" when I probably should have said "drop out" of the NCAA - it wasn't meant as a slight toward the NAIA programs in Kentucky, many of whom, like you said, are more skilled than some of the D3 schools.

NAIA teams are better than Division III about 90% of the time. The have scholarship players and DIII is non-scholarship.

NAIA teams are better than Division III about 90% of the time. The have scholarship players and DIII is non-scholarship.

90%? I'm not sure Alice Lloyd, Brescia, Asbury and Midway would be beating Centre or Transylvania with any regularity.