Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NAIA adding 8 new teams including Thomas More

Featured Replies

Thomas More is returning to the NAIA in the fall of 2019. They will be joining the Mid-South Conference.

 

The other seven teams will be joining the NAIA in July 2018.

 

Columbia International enters the NAIA as a member of the Appalachian Athletic Conference and Ottawa will compete in the Golden State Athletic Conference and Sooner Athletic Conference for football only. The other five schools will be members of the Association of Independent Institutions.

 

Follow this link for more information:

Thomas More approved to move to NAIA beginning in 2

NAIA is also going to one division in a couple of years as well.

I wonder why the move by Thomas More ?

I wonder why the move by Thomas More ?

 

They cited distance traveled in their entirely Pennsylvania conference. There are more local conferences but it seems like TMC wants to drop down. Recruiting restrictions are much less in NAIA and based on the trouble they got into recently there may have been a desire to leave that set of rules.

They cited distance traveled in their entirely Pennsylvania conference. There are more local conferences but it seems like TMC wants to drop down. Recruiting restrictions are much less in NAIA and based on the trouble they got into recently there may have been a desire to leave that set of rules.

 

Drop down? NAIA is a much more competitive, and expensive level, than D3. They’ll now be recruiting against the other NAIA and D2 powers in the tri-state area. I actually look for some of the NAIA schools in Kentucky to convert to D3 now that they’re requiring a minimum of 8 full scholarship players.

The bigger question is how does this impact student athletes? In the state of Ky there are several NAIA Div 1 schools. They will all lose scholarships from 11-8. This will reduce the number of players getting scholarships each year.

Drop down? NAIA is a much more competitive, and expensive level, than D3. They’ll now be recruiting against the other NAIA and D2 powers in the tri-state area. I actually look for some of the NAIA schools in Kentucky to convert to D3 now that they’re requiring a minimum of 8 full scholarship players.

 

I used the term "drop down" when I probably should have said "drop out" of the NCAA - it wasn't meant as a slight toward the NAIA programs in Kentucky, many of whom, like you said, are more skilled than some of the D3 schools.

From the article:

 

Administrators said Tuesday that the school has received an invitation to join the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the Mid-South Conference starting with the 2019-20 academic year. but has not made a formal decision whether to accept it or not.

 

It says they haven't made a decision yet, although it sounds like they will make the move.

I used the term "drop down" when I probably should have said "drop out" of the NCAA - it wasn't meant as a slight toward the NAIA programs in Kentucky, many of whom, like you said, are more skilled than some of the D3 schools.

 

NAIA teams are better than Division III about 90% of the time. The have scholarship players and DIII is non-scholarship.

NAIA teams are better than Division III about 90% of the time. The have scholarship players and DIII is non-scholarship.

 

90%? I'm not sure Alice Lloyd, Brescia, Asbury and Midway would be beating Centre or Transylvania with any regularity.

90%? I'm not sure Alice Lloyd, Brescia, Asbury and Midway would be beating Centre or Transylvania with any regularity.

 

A few D2 teams are on equal level. Most D1 teams and good D2 teams would roll.

A few D2 teams are on equal level. Most D1 teams and good D2 teams would roll.

 

Fair point. And again, my original post meant to say drop out and not drop down. It wasn't a criticism.

90%? I'm not sure Alice Lloyd, Brescia, Asbury and Midway would be beating Centre or Transylvania with any regularity.

 

I’d take Alice Lloyd, Midway and Asbury over Transy and Centre.

I’d take Alice Lloyd, Midway and Asbury over Transy and Centre.

 

Maybe occasionally but I'll not argue over it.

I wonder why the move by Thomas More ?

 

I'm almost certain they couldn't find a conference home in D3.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.