What Do You Consider Inappropriate Chants/ Behavior for Student Cheering Sections??

Science Friction

I heard a chant(taunt) last night at the Corbin-South Laurel game that I felt went over the line and was very inappropriate. I don't know how much I want to elaborate at this point.

What do you consider "all in good fun" from student cheering sections? What types of chants/behaviors do you think are silly and immature but fall short of being inappropriate ? What types of things go over the line of appropriate behavior?

I look forward to hearing your comments.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think vulgarity is crossing the line and shouldn't be tolerated. Also vile and cruel taunts of a player. For example,some of the Duke student section chanting "How's Your Grandma?" to a N.C. State player while he was shooting free throws. His grandmother had died a week earlier. Such cruelty doesn't belong in sport.

What do you think is "fair game" and what is "over the line" ?

What do you think is "fair game" and what is "over the line" ?

I think vulgarity is crossing the line and shouldn't be tolerated. Also vile and cruel taunts of a player. For example,some of the Duke student section chanting "How's Your Grandma?" to a N.C. State player while he was shooting free throws. His grandmother had died a week earlier. Such cruelty doesn't belong in sport.

What about taunting a player about a personal or family tragedy?

Steve Kerr's father was President of the American University of Beirut and was murdered in the Middle East back , I think , around 1984. When Steve was a senior for Arizona and playing a game against homestanding Arizona State, a few of the students chanted "P-L-O ," "P-L-O " at Kerr. Unacceptable...

The Cameron Crazies allegedly once yelled "Orphan, Orphan" to a UNC kid who had lost his parents to a murder-suicide. Unacceptable...

All of those just seem in bad taste, but are also extremely specific. My original post was more to the point of "general chants" instead of specifically aimed at certain players.

If it has no bearing on the sport or game, it serves no purpose. The best way to shut them up is to sink that three or free throw. Several chants I heard last week were vulgar and disgusting. One close to racist. I never saw one adult come forward to stop them, no Administrator, no teacher, no parent. Who has control over a group that is preventing other fans from enjoying the game they paid for? Can or does or will the local law enforcement agencies at the game remove them from the facility? Do they have the authority?

If it has no bearing on the sport or game, it serves no purpose. The best way to shut them up is to sink that three or free throw. Several chants I heard last week were vulgar and disgusting. One close to racist. I never saw one adult come forward to stop them, no Administrator, no teacher, no parent. Who has control over a group that is preventing other fans from enjoying the game they paid for? Can or does or will the local law enforcement agencies at the game remove them from the facility? Do they have the authority?

Couldn't agree with you more, Mamaw. Every time I hear these vulgar and disgusting chants, I think where in the heck are the adults? Do the parents approve of this? I think there is a line that, when crossed, perpetrators of this disgust should be removed from the facility.

Wireman, you say that there is a line in high school. What is your line?

Also, I disagree with you about college. I don't think ANYTHING goes. As mamaw said, if it isn't sport-related it doesn't serve a legitimate purpose.

Couldn't agree with you more, Mamaw. Every time I hear these vulgar and disgusting chants, I think where in the heck are the adults? Do the parents approve of this? I think there is a line that, when crossed, perpetrators of this disgust should be removed from the facility.

Wireman, you say that there is a line in high school. What is your line?

Also, I disagree with you about college. I don't think ANYTHING goes. As mamaw said, if it isn't sport-related it doesn't serve a legitimate purpose.

Somewhere along the line families have lost their way and they don't even know it. So, children aren't being raised by anyone sometimes.