Cooper 66 Ryle 36 (33rd District Championship)

Hope the Tarvin boy is ok. Yikes, looks like Cooper coach thoroughly enjoys laying it on Mcfarland. Boys seem to play like they were supposed to get drubbed. At some point would’ve been nice to see them say enough & get physical & compete. There’s been entirely to many 30+ point beatings. Maybe the rumored changes will show something different next season.

Hope the Tarvin boy is ok. Yikes, looks like Cooper coach thoroughly enjoys laying it on Mcfarland. Boys seem to play like they were supposed to get drubbed. At some point would’ve been nice to see them say enough & get physical & compete. There’s been entirely to many 30+ point beatings. Maybe the rumored changes will show something different next season.

Couldn't make the game

What happened to Tarvin?

Please explain rumored changes at Ryle?

Not a word out of you on the Boone win, sounds like a personal thing, be nice to see something positive just one time. I believe Conner put up low numbers also, maybe Cooper is that good on defense.

Here’s your positive participation trophy, 2 quality wins against Boone. Two of the most fun games I’ve watched in the last 10+ at Ryle. I think Boone beat Cooper once this year? Even if Cooper wasn’t at 100% are they seriously a 50 point win over Ryle. No 6A school should be thumped that often in your own backyard. Just haven’t figured out how we can beat a Boone team twice and then get that result. Yes Cooper is that good and loaded with talent, they could’ve scored 100 if they wanted. Have seen some good things from young kids last few games at Ryle & hopefully it builds some momentum into offseason?

Not defending Ryle or coach McFarland as i have no dog in the fight but at some point you have to have the talent walking thru the hallways and judging by the fact that Ryle is playing an 8th grader who is contributing I would say the high caliber talent is simply not there. I judge a coach by what he gets out of what he’s got and it appears he’s getting what he can with what he’s got. Surely no one in the Ryle camp of fans thought this team would be headed to the regionals. At some point their fans might just want to take the positive and realize Coach is playing with what he’s got and doing ok and until a Kunkle, McNeil and Hendrix type player shows up on US 42 you might just want to say “it is what it is” and take the positives. Better yet, tell me what coach would have gotten more out of this group. Last I checked it only takes 1 point to lose so does it really matter if you get beat by that one point or 30 if you don’t have the talent level to compete?

I know in the wins/losses it’s irrelevant but I’m pretty sure a 1 point loss is competitive and a half dozen 30+ losses are a little hard to get over and pumped up to play. Perhaps some adjustments in scheme on both sides of the ball with the talent or as you said lack of talent may put a little more competitive team on the floor? Ryle couldn’t have written the tournament schedule themselves and been provided a better opportunity to make it to regional finals. Your right nobody thought this team would be playing at the end of February but good for the boys. Good luck

Not defending Ryle or coach McFarland as i have no dog in the fight but at some point you have to have the talent walking thru the hallways and judging by the fact that Ryle is playing an 8th grader who is contributing I would say the high caliber talent is simply not there.

If you have a coach who understands spacing, angles, the importance of the outside shooter, the importance of defending the outside shooter (the number of 3s Ryle allows is staggering), the importance of developing a great JV program (not repeatedly telling the JV players that wins and losses don't matter), and the importance of doing everything possible to instill confidence in your top seven instead of playing musical chairs with that rotation starting early in the season, you'll have a coach who wins games. McFarland is one of the only coaches I have ever known who finds ways to kill the momentum of a run and loses games that shouldn't have been lost. Say all you want about the talent that walks the halls at Ryle, but if you have a hard look at the girls basketball program, the football program, and the baseball program, you have to wonder what is going on with the boys basketball program.

If you have a coach who understands spacing, angles, the importance of the outside shooter, the importance of defending the outside shooter (the number of 3s Ryle allows is staggering), the importance of developing a great JV program (not repeatedly telling the JV players that wins and losses don't matter), and the importance of doing everything possible to instill confidence in your top seven instead of playing musical chairs with that rotation starting early in the season, you'll have a coach who wins games. McFarland is one of the only coaches I have ever known who finds ways to kill the momentum of a run and loses games that shouldn't have been lost. Say all you want about the talent that walks the halls at Ryle, but if you have a hard look at the girls basketball program, the football program, and the baseball program, you have to wonder what is going on with the boys basketball program.

So this is a culture issue IMO. The coach dictates the culture I do know that. Again, I don't have a dog in the fight but I know that culture and getting players to buy in to that culture WILL create wins. When Cooper was getting it's teeth kicked in by everyone else in the district Coach Sullivan stuck to his guns and created his culture and demanded his players buy in and trust the process and that has transferred into what is one of the top programs in the State. A better example of this what is going on at Newport. Coach Snapp is not blessed with a bevy of talent but his culture dictates players giving his all.

Ryles jv team was very competitive and I think won around 15 games, played the regional jv champs,Covington Catholic to within 7 points in the tournament. I can tell you for a fact, Ryle jv coach wants to win and does not tell his players it don't matter if they win or lose, just not true. Let the coaches, coach and fans be fans. Future looks good at Ryle.