John Edge leaving Owensboro Catholic

zoneblitz2

Man...Coach Edge must have been there since the second or third year of their football program! Unless I'm mistaken, this would make only the 3rd time that O-Cath has had to look for a football head coach.

No, actually, Coach Edge played for Catholic under coach Mojo Holowell. I played there in the 70's and I played for 2 coaches, Fred Gibson and Jim Wilson Fred Gibson coached the first Catholic team to beat Owensboro. Bill Cox (who coached later at Warren Central) coached after Wilson who took over the helm again after Cox left. I think Mojo took over for Wilson. I believe the coach before Edge was Lawson, who came in after Mojo. Mojo took the Aces to their first state championship game. Catholic has been playing football since the 50's if not earlier. Harold Mischele was a coach there in the earlier years. He later became the AD there. Father head coach before him. Before they were Owensboro Catholic they were St. Frances Academy. I am not sure if they played football, they may have. If anyone has a more definitive history, please add, subtract, point out where I am wrong.

There were several people that I've talked to that thought Edge's time had come. Good luck to him, I think he'll do well. Gonna be interesting to see who gets the job over on Parrish Ave.

No, actually, Coach Edge played for Catholic under coach Mojo Holowell. I played there in the 70's and I played for 2 coaches, Fred Gibson and Jim Wilson Fred Gibson coached the first Catholic team to beat Owensboro. Bill Cox (who coached later at Warren Central) coached after Wilson who took over the helm again after Cox left. I think Mojo took over for Wilson. I believe the coach before Edge was Lawson, who came in after Mojo. Mojo took the Aces to their first state championship game. Catholic has been playing football since the 50's if not earlier. Harold Mischele was a coach there in the earlier years. He later became the AD there. Father head coach before him. Before they were Owensboro Catholic they were St. Frances Academy. I am not sure if they played football, they may have. If anyone has a more definitive history, please add, subtract, point out where I am wrong.

There were several people that I've talked to that thought Edge's time had come. Good luck to him, I think he'll do well. Gonna be interesting to see who gets the job over on Parrish Ave.

Did O-Cath drop out of KHSAA competition for a time? The KHSAA has some years where they aren't showing the Aces as having a football team...

1949-1951 Leslie Van Meter (St. Francis 1949 and 1950)

1952 Father Robert Conner

1953-1958 Bill Medley

1959-1960 Bill Settles

1961-1962 Leslie Van Meter

1963-1965 Don Netoskie

1966-1967 Tony Lanham

1968-1969 Terry Clark

1970 Perky Bryant

1971-1975 Fred Gibson

1976 Jim Wilson

1977-1978 Bill Cox

1979-1987 Jim Wilson

1988-2000 Mojo Hollowell

2001-2003 Mike Lawson

2004-2017 John Edge

I have season records too...if anyone is interested.

Edited by broadcaster
adding info

Did O-Cath drop out of KHSAA competition for a time? The KHSAA has some years where they aren't showing the Aces as having a football team...

Not sure, broadcaster has the coaches and records. He is much more detailed than I am. I don't know if they dropped out for a time. Never heard that.