Iroquois 68 Knox Central 65

Not surprised by this at all. Iroquois might be the 9th or 10th best team in the 6th region, but they play a brutal schedule which prepares them to play some of the better teams in other regions and come away with a victory. It says a bunch about the 6th, but this happens almost every year.

Not surprised by this at all. Iroquois might be the 9th or 10th best team in the 6th region, but they play a brutal schedule which prepares them to play some of the better teams in other regions and come away with a victory. It says a bunch about the 6th, but this happens almost every year.

I typically would agree with you Coach, but I saw Iroquois earlier this year and that wasn't a good team at that time. Certainly not good enough to beat KC. The 6th does stay loaded though

I tend to agree, Dognation.

I like Iroquois - they have talent and are well-coached. They're a dangerous team. But they haven't fared well against the 8th this year, losing twice in the past two weeks to two good 8th region teams, Spencer County and South Oldham.

They would be a mid-pack 8th region team this season.

I'm wondering if this result tells us more about Knox Central. (which I really don't know much about)

CM

I am pretty much in agreement with what you both are saying, they are not a great team which is why there are 8 or so teams well ahead of them in the 6th. I see they are 1-2 against 8th region teams beating North Oldham by 20 and losing to Spencer by 11 and South Oldham by 6. The are athletic, can shoot, can play defense and they have a very good coach. Not too long ago they played Butler to a 1 point loss. So on any given night they have the ability to compete. I guess part of my point is also what does that say about Knox Central. My guess is if they played night in and night out in the 6th or perhaps even the 8th they would not be one of the top teams and pretty average. There are not many victories against any team that is one of the better team in the state and a lot of victories against teams that just are not that good. Who knows, maybe they bounce back and make some noise. I just would not be surprised if they do win the 13th, they do not advance unless they get a favorable draw in the Sweet 16. I expect Corbin to advance though.

In most of my 50+ years of watching high school basketball teams in Kentucky the top mountain teams would be middle of the pack teams in the 6th, 7th, and 11th regions.

Oh, a few years there have been exceptions, such as Clay County in the Farmer era, Paintsville with Van Hoose, Shelby Valley’s great team, and Harlan back in the ‘90s. But for the most part the mountain teams would not even be in the equation in those three regions.

So Knox Central, who is in a funk right now but have a very good team, losing to a middle of the pack 6th region Iroquois doesn’t surprise me.