NFL Rules Question

I am one that seems to know the rules well, but something happened in the Bengals Steelers Monday game.

The illegal hit Juju Smith-Schuster put on Burfict. There was a live ball unnecessary roughness(live ball penalty), then an after the whistle taunting (dead ball penalty).

Rewind. Back to the playoff game with the same teams on 1/9/16.

Burfict made an illegal hit on Antonio Brown, then Pacman Jones got a personal foul after the play.

The difference that I noticed is that the game Monday night, only 1 penalty was enforced. However in 2016 BOTH penalties were enforced (30 yards instead of 15).

Both situations had a live ball penalty, and a dead ball penalty. Why was only 1 enforced in 2017, and both enforced in 2016?

I am one that seems to know the rules well, but something happened in the Bengals Steelers Monday game.

The illegal hit Juju Smith-Schuster put on Burfict. There was a live ball unnecessary roughness(live ball penalty), then an after the whistle taunting (dead ball penalty).

Rewind. Back to the playoff game with the same teams on 1/9/16.

Burfict made an illegal hit on Antonio Brown, then Pacman Jones got a personal foul after the play.

The difference that I noticed is that the game Monday night, only 1 penalty was enforced. However in 2016 BOTH penalties were enforced (30 yards instead of 15).

Both situations had a live ball penalty, and a dead ball penalty. Why was only 1 enforced in 2017, and both enforced in 2016?

As posted in the game thread, Dave Lapham said the officials ruling was both fouls on Juju were live ball penalties. They said the unsportsmanlike penalty was not a dead ball penalty.

Plus the Burfict hit was already counted off before Pacman got his penalty. It just figures in both cases it ended up working out well for the Steelers lol.

Gotcha. I think the rule is a bad rule then. If there is a live penalty. All 11 players can taunt and it is still penalized the same. What stops another Steeler during that play from taking another unnecessary roughness before the whistle?

By the way this was ruled, it is as if you can only mark 1 penalty off as long as it is a live ball. So if you see roughing the passer, why not taunt, hit people out of the play, blindside hit, clip, facemask, and chop block everyone before the whistle?

If the rule was enforced correctly I am not mad at the refs, I am mad at the rule.

Gotcha. I think the rule is a bad rule then. If there is a live penalty. All 11 players can taunt and it is still penalized the same. What stops another Steeler during that play from taking another unnecessary roughness before the whistle?

By the way this was ruled, it is as if you can only mark 1 penalty off as long as it is a live ball. So if you see roughing the passer, why not taunt, hit people out of the play, blindside hit, clip, facemask, and chop block everyone before the whistle?

If the rule was enforced correctly I am not mad at the refs, I am mad at the rule.

That would take way too much coordination to pull off. And there's too much going on during a play for someone to make the snap decision to say "hey I'm going get my illegal shot in now that my teammate has already gotten a flag". I'm guessing most Steelers didn't know a penalty had occurred. And in reality, what would doing so accomplish...at best you'll likely get fined.

That would take way too much coordination to pull off. And there's too much going on during a play for someone to make the snap decision to say "hey I'm going get my illegal shot in now that my teammate has already gotten a flag". I'm guessing most Steelers didn't know a penalty had occurred. And in reality, what would doing so accomplish...at best you'll likely get fined.

Yes it would be difficult, but grabbing a facemask wouldn't, or knowing good well that you committed a personal foul and taunting immediatly after.

My purposal is separating unnecessary roughness or other personal foul, with taunting.

They already have the 2 unsportsmanlike ejection.