Why don't all the teams play in week 0?

Belfry tries not to play Week 0

Haywood really values two scrimmages.

I think part of the mindset has to do with the fact Belfry always has a couple District games where Haywood knows he can rest any starter with bumps or bruises.

Haywood is also a man of ritual. I think once he gets into the groove of a season and the weekly schedule it brings he doesn't like breaking that flow up

I think part of the mindset has to do with the fact Belfry always has a couple District games where Haywood knows he can rest any starter with bumps or bruises.

Haywood is also a man of ritual. I think once he gets into the groove of a season and the weekly schedule it brings he doesn't like breaking that flow up

Who can argue with the outcome?

Every team has their own situation and may schedule differently for whatever reason. I think you have summed up Belfry's situation exactly.

@snakesnot_2000 , do you think we should force everyone to start Week 0 and then have a bye week?

I don't know if "force" is the right word but I think having a mid season break helps teams heal up, mentally and physically. The high school football season starts 2 weeks ahead of college and 3 weeks ahead of the pro's, so a mid season break seems worth while.

On the whole, you certainly like the BYE week when you win the game going into the BYE week. But if you lose that game; it's a LONG 2 weeks you have to sit before you can get that out of your system.

I like it personally, as BG always beats Grayson County to set it up; so not sure everyone has that setup.

I think it's good for the teams to have a mid season break to heal physically and mentally. It's been a long grind since mid July, I think it's good scheduling to have this break. Any other thoughts?

I still like the: two scrimmages, play 10 games, take a week off to prepare for playoff teams that you are not familiar with, then play the playoffs model. But, that's just me.

I don't know if "force" is the right word but I think having a mid season break helps teams heal up, mentally and physically. The high school football season starts 2 weeks ahead of college and 3 weeks ahead of the pro's, so a mid season break seems worth while.
So even though you prefer it that way, you are still in favor of giving teams the choice, right?

Each team's staff has the choice to do it the way they see fit. For some, having that bye week is desirable. For others, like Belfry, the value of a 2nd scrimmage is preferable. The current setup gives each of them the ability to tailor their schedule to their own needs, and for that very reason I am in favor of keeping it the way it is.