Why don't all the teams play in week 0?

A lot of schools that play week 0 take their bye week on week 10, giving them a week to heal up prior to the playoffs.

That, but I have also noticed more teams taking their off week around this time of the year when a Fall Break may occur and kids are away. Did the Fall Break phenomenon start the need for Week 0s?

Teams still have 2 scrimmages and an off week during the season, don't they? You just bump up the scrimmage time by a week. Although the newer contact rules may make it more difficult?
I don't think so. It is my understanding you have 2 scheduling choices

1. Give up a scrimmage and open your regular season Week 0, and get a bye week later in the season

2. Have both scrimmages, open your regular season Week 1, and give up the bye week

From Bylaw 23...

"d) The season shall consist of a maximum of ten (10) regularseason games and the opportunity to play regular season gamesshall conclude at the end of NFHS corresponding week 17.(1) Any school may play one of the allowable regular season gamesduring Week 0 (normally NFHS corresponding week 7) providedthat the total schedule does not exceed ten (10) regular seasongames and that the allowable number of scrimmages is reducedto one."

I don't think so. It is my understanding you have 2 scheduling choices

1. Give up a scrimmage and open your regular season Week 0, and get a bye week later in the season

2. Have both scrimmages, open your regular season Week 1, and give up the bye week

From Bylaw 23...

"d) The season shall consist of a maximum of ten (10) regularseason games and the opportunity to play regular season gamesshall conclude at the end of NFHS corresponding week 17.(1) Any school may play one of the allowable regular season gamesduring Week 0 (normally NFHS corresponding week 7) providedthat the total schedule does not exceed ten (10) regular seasongames and that the allowable number of scrimmages is reducedto one."

Gotcha. Guess that came about because of the change a few years back.

So even though you prefer it that way, you are still in favor of giving teams the choice, right?

Each team's staff has the choice to do it the way they see fit. For some, having that bye week is desirable. For others, like Belfry, the value of a 2nd scrimmage is preferable. The current setup gives each of them the ability to tailor their schedule to their own needs, and for that very reason I am in favor of keeping it the way it is.

I'm in favor of having a mid season break for the reasons I have mentioned before.

Ashland most seasons has the last week of the season as their bye to rest for the playoffs and always liked that. For a couple of years a couple of years ago they had the week 0 bye and I personally hated them not playing.

I'm in favor of having a mid season break for the reasons I have mentioned before.
I understand that and if I was coaching a team, I think I would be too for the same reasons.

What I wanted to know, and I couldn't quite decide from your post how you felt, was "Are you saying you think it should be that way for everyone?"

I understand that and if I was coaching a team, I think I would be too for the same reasons.

What I wanted to know, and I couldn't quite decide from your post how you felt, was "Are you saying you think it should be that way for everyone?"

I'm just saying I like the idea.

Originally, Trinity started playing week 0 out of necessity. Trinity struggled to find 9 or 10 games. Then, the coaching staff decided it was nice to have the last week of regular season off to heal up for playoffs. Trinity has gotten by with one scrimmage for quite a while. The annual green-white intrasquad scrimmage is a fairly good dress rehearsal. This is followed the next week by a three quarter full speed, game like scrimmage.

I know some schools, especially Fort Knox, like having Week 0 open because being so transient, you need more time to condition and fix the chemistry (in addition to paperwork red tape).

You could force the season up a week, but Fort Knox would be at a huge disadvantage (like FK needs more mountains to climb to get back to relevance).