2A Game of the Week: 2A Mayfield vs. 3A Paducah Tilghman

Who gets the win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

• Mayfield Cardinals
    • Paducah Tilghman Blue Tornado

The annual meeting between Mayfield and Paducah Tilghman is one of the oldest and best rivalries in Kentucky high school football. However, it's lost a bit of its statewide appeal lately because of its one sided nature as of late. The Cardinals are riding an 11 game winning streak over PT. That's the longest streak for either team in the history of the series. The Blue Tornado have not tasted victory since an 18-15 triumph in 2005. That recent surge by Mayfield has given them a slim 47-46-10 lead in the all-time series.

This year's edition is hard to get a read on for a couple of reasons... Mayfield came into this season with questions surrounding who would replace a star studded senior class that only lost 4 games in four years. Tilghman had just hired its 4th coach in five years after a recent stretch that could generously be described as tumultuous, both on and off the field.

The Cardinals don't appear to have missed a beat as they've posted impressive early season wins over Hopkinsville and highly regarded Tennessee power Union City. PT showed promise in a close Week 0 loss to 6A McCracken County before defeating 2016 Tennessee 3A runner-up Liberty Tech Magnet on the strength of a suffocating defense.

Mayfield Coach Joe Morris has utilized the two pronged QB attack of Jaden Stinson and Connor Guthrie to great success thus far. RB Travon Halliburton, WRs Jack Murrell and Trey Matthews, and LB Kyle Hurt are a few of the names that have shined early on for the Cardinals.

Coach Duncan, with extensive coaching experience at Fort Knox and Murray, amongst others, has provided a much needed steady hand at Tilghman. Under his guidance, PT is playing tough, fundamentally sound football. So far, they've shown a firm commitment to the running game and, perhaps most importantly, they're not killing themselves with penalties like they have so often in recent years. Discipline is the one key ingredient that has been missing from this program lately. That hasn't been an issue through the first two games this season. But, is that new found discipline enough to get them over the hump against the Cardinals?

Do the new look Blue Tornado have what it takes to end the losing streak, or does Mayfield continue to flex their considerable muscle in this storied rivalry?

This MHS vs PT, it's rarely a blowout. MHS is ahead of where many thought they would be, and PT impressed me at McCracken Co, one dimensional but have 2 bruising runners and one very fast one. I think the cards take this one but I've seen crazy games in this series. I'll take MHS 35-21

Slobber-knocker incoming. PTs ground and pound vs MF's strong run defense should make for an interesting match-up. PTs RB, I believe he converted from another position, is a LOAD! I'm anxious to see if PT opts to take away the run or the pass from MF. I don't believe they can manage both. My guess is they take away the big stuff over the top and force MF to earn it on the ground. If MF manages to get up a few scores early it could get ugly, but I think PT keeps it close with MF putting it away late. 27-13 MF.

I think PT can somewhat stuff the Cardinals run game. The question is, can they also stop the air attack? I just don't see them being able to do both.. Coach Morris will take what the PT defense gives him and I'm sure OC Steven Hatchell will have a few new wrinkles to throw out there.. I look for the Cardinals to come out and make a few big plays early thru the air and by the time the 4th qtr. roles around, that big Cardinal OL will start imposing its will and get the ground game going to keep them comfortably out of reach..

Without much in the way of a passing game, the Cards will load the box and make it tough on the Tornados to generate offense, similar to what they did against Union City.. UC did have some success on the ground, but, kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers.. I don't expect the Tornados to shoot themselves in the foot like UC did and I think they'll manage some 1st downs and moving the chains, keeping the potent Cardinal offense off the field.. While that strategy will likely make the score more respectable, having to put together long, sustained drives simply running the ball, will prove to be a tough task against a fast and swarming Cardinal D, so, not sure how many points they'll be able to generate..

With all this said, I expect PT to muster enough offense to score once, get another score from a defense that'll likely set the O up in good field position somewhere along the way or from special teams, most likely a long KO return, setting them up with a short field, but, I don't think they can do much more than that.

I look for the Cards to put together 2 or 3 big plays early, then go to the ground and pound game in the 2nd half and add a couple more scores..

Mayfield 35 PT 14

Mayfield is playing as well as anyone in the state right now. The Tornado are figuring a lot of things out very fast. I've got a lot of things going through my mind that could happen in this game, but I'll keep it short and get to the point.

Tilghman gets a couple of much needed players back in the rotation this week that missed the first two games. I know I'm going way against the grain here, but I'm gonna say Tilghman in what looks to be a big upset, 21-17.

Good luck to both teams! I think they both have a lot of respect for one another.