Matt Barnes Ejected For Throwing A Strike To Manny Machado

Bizarre sequence from the Boston-Baltimore game today. To set the stage: On Friday Manny Machado slid late and with his cleats high into second base. Dustin Pedroia was stretched out to receive the throw from shortstop with really no intention of trying to turn the double play and Machado struck him in his knee that he had repaired in the off-season. Pedroia had to leave the game and has missed the last 2 games as well. Red Sox manager John Farrell was upset with the slide and argued that a double play should have been awarded. The umpiring crew did not allow the double play since Pedroia was in a stretch and made no effort to make a turn. Everyone expected Boston to retaliate--especially given the already volatile relationship between the Sox and the Birds. Yesterday Boston had knuckleballer Steve Wright going and was locked in a close game so nothing happened. Today, however, Boston had a 6-0 lead. Boston started Eduardo Rodriguez appeared to throw at Machado's knees 2 or 3 times earlier in the game but did not hit him. When he came to bat in the 8th inning Boston reliever Matt Barnes launched a fastball up near Machado's head/shoulders. The ball zoomed past him and ended up going behind him and hitting his bat. The home plate umpire, Andy Fletcher, believing the pitch had hit Machado, immediately tossed Barnes and awarded Machado first base. John Farrell came out to argue the ejection and award of first base. The ejection stood but Machado was returned to home plate where he later doubled. I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher ejected after throwing a strike before. I understood why they did it and it had to be done but it was bizarre nonetheless. It is going to be a very interesting season series between these 2 clubs--they have 14 games remaining.

The slide from Machado was legal which is why the DP wasn't called Friday. He did slide a tad late. In the old days it was "good hard baseball."

The umpiring crew explained the the DP wasn't called due to the fact that Pedroia was in a stretch position and not attempting to turn a double play--which I agree with. It was however, a really late slide and he did come in with his cleats high. It was unnecessary given that he didn't need to break up a double play. To his credit, he did reach out to Pedroia after the game to let him know that he hoped he was okay.

Title is a more than a little misleading, in my opinion. When you talk about someone throwing strikes, you're usually referencing throwing them over the plate. I know that technically this will go in the book as a strike, but come on...throwing behind the batter's head?

Title is a more than a little misleading, in my opinion. When you talk about someone throwing strikes, you're usually referencing throwing them over the plate. I know that technically this will go in the book as a strike, but come on...throwing behind the batter's head?

But it was, in fact, a strike. I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher tossed after a pitch that ended up being called a strike before.

I screwed up a play like this once. Pitch was inside coming at the head of the batter. He ducked. Ball hit his bat. I immediately signal "foul ball" in order to let every one know it didn't hit him.

Problem is the darn ball rolled fair.

I don't understand why it's so hard to plant one in between a guys shoulder blades. If you're gonna plunk him, make it nearly impossible to get out of the way. It's not that hard to avoid one at your noodle. Getting your numbers out of the way is difficult.

But it was, in fact, a strike. I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher tossed after a pitch that ended up being called a strike before.

I realize that. That's why I said "technically". But, you can hit the bat 10 times out of 10 if you want to...you throw it up by the head all 10 times, it still doesn't mean you're throwing strikes to me.

It wasn't called a strike. There's a difference between a foul ball resulting in a strike (what this was) and a called strike.