Another turkey season

spindoc

and I'm excited. But like the past 2 seasons, I'll be hunting without my old man again. This season is always bittersweet for me. I love the season, remember all the good times, but when the turkeys gobble and the smallmouth get hot, I can't make a call or cast a line without missing my dad. I'm so very thankful he trained me up the way he did. Thankful he invested in me. My youngest and he were very close, and when he took an Osceola just a week ago in Fl, I have to admit I got a bit emotional watching him run over to that flopping tom. My dad would have loved that like nobody's business. Here's to another turkey season, wish all of you luck, and hope you invest in someone else like was done for me, and how I hope I've made him proud by investing in mine.

and I'm excited. But like the past 2 seasons, I'll be hunting without my old man again. This season is always bittersweet for me. I love the season, remember all the good times, but when the turkeys gobble and the smallmouth get hot, I can't make a call or cast a line without missing my dad. I'm so very thankful he trained me up the way he did. Thankful he invested in me. My youngest and he were very close, and when he took an Osceola just a week ago in Fl, I have to admit I got a bit emotional watching him run over to that flopping tom. My dad would have loved that like nobody's business. Here's to another turkey season, wish all of you luck, and hope you invest in someone else like was done for me, and how I hope I've made him proud by investing in mine.

I fully understand the feeling you have about your Dad. I go through the same emotions with golf as that was the primary activity in my Dad and my relationship for many years. At least you are carrying things forward with your sons.

Perfect morning! My buddy and I set up in a thick line of trees overlooking an openning that works down to a valley. Where we were set up, you could t really see down the hill.

As we were walking in, we were hearing gobblers all around. After we got the decoys set up, I started calling with the slate(he called in the turkey and I shot last time, so I returned the favor). After about 45 minutes, we heard GOBBLES. I'm talking close, just far enough down the hill where we couldn't see them. They finally presented themselves and started motoring toward the decoys. Three strutting toms. I put the slate into my pocket and picked up my Gun. My buddy picked one and dropped him, so I dropped the other closest one. Bang, bang just like that. It was incredible!

We grilled one of my breasts wrapped in bacon and enjoyed that with the heart and liver. Delicious!

I called three in at the lake yesterday and my friend shot one, they didn't present where we could double. So I've hunted twice in two states for about one whole hour and there have been two Toms taken and I haven't fired a shot and don't care if I do. I've had a great season so far.

Congrats Thrillville, those are great memories

I called three in at the lake yesterday and my friend shot one, they didn't present where we could double. So I've hunted twice in two states for about one whole hour and there have been two Toms taken and I haven't fired a shot and don't care if I do. I've had a great season so far.

Congrats Thrillville, those are great memories

Spin.....you and my dad sound the sameway....he doesn't even care if he kills one or not anymore. With that said, he got one Monday morning (when I couldn't go ironically enough); even though he told me all day that he came away empty......lol. He finally told me Tuesday after we came away empty after working this bird that pitched down probably 75 yards from me that morning, but he got henned up ASAP.....then we went back to working him...but, I came away empty (I had to get to work).

I've had a couple of close calls so far....nothing yet. I'm going before work tomorrow just myself then he and I are going to hit it up again Saturday and Sunday morn if it's not a complete wash out.

Side note....have you seen those "Funky Chicken" decoys? Looks like a Gobbler on crack to be quite honest. Anyway....the reason I ask is I'm not so sure it didn't spook one off opening morning down close to LBL where dad lives. This bird gobbled on the roost, then we he got down on the ground a couple times.....after that he came in "stealth" mode. He got within 35 yards of us.....I could barely see him through some brush and trees. Dad didn't see him until he started "putting" away. Anyway....I didn't move...and, I'm not so sure he didn't see that "Funky Chicken" decoy (we had a couple hen decoys out too) and it scare him off?

I'm empty so far, but there has been a couple of fun hunts.

Spin.....you and my dad sound the sameway....he doesn't even care if he kills one or not anymore. With that said, he got one Monday morning (when I couldn't go ironically enough); even though he told me all day that he came away empty......lol. He finally told me Tuesday after we came away empty after working this bird that pitched down probably 75 yards from me that morning, but he got henned up ASAP.....then we went back to working him...but, I came away empty (I had to get to work).

I've had a couple of close calls so far....nothing yet. I'm going before work tomorrow just myself then he and I are going to hit it up again Saturday and Sunday morn if it's not a complete wash out.

Side note....have you seen those "Funky Chicken" decoys? Looks like a Gobbler on crack to be quite honest. Anyway....the reason I ask is I'm not so sure it didn't spook one off opening morning down close to LBL where dad lives. This bird gobbled on the roost, then we he got down on the ground a couple times.....after that he came in "stealth" mode. He got within 35 yards of us.....I could barely see him through some brush and trees. Dad didn't see him until he started "putting" away. Anyway....I didn't move...and, I'm not so sure he didn't see that "Funky Chicken" decoy (we had a couple hen decoys out too) and it scare him off?

I'm empty so far, but there has been a couple of fun hunts.

I think I know the decoy you're talking about. It's a dilapidated thing. Frankly, I quit using decoys. Not to say that they don't work, I have had some good and bad with decoys. I've seen them flogged and I've seen them cause Toms and their harem to hit the road. So now I just choose to set up better. I know in some cases you just can't, and there have been times I had one stick his head up and not see that hen that was just calling and he sauntered off. But those times are few.

turkey 1.jpg

Saw these 2 big boys strutting for the little lady this past Monday. I had the wrong set of weapons with me. This was at Fox run (notice the dandelions?) and i had my golf clubs versus my shot gun. They hung out there for a while. We drove past them and they walked into the woods. When we got past they came back out and paraded around again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61402[/ATTACH]

Saw these 2 big boys strutting for the little lady this past Monday. I had the wrong set of weapons with me. This was at Fox run (notice the dandelions?) and i had my golf clubs versus my shot gun. They hung out there for a while. We drove past them and they walked into the woods. When we got past they came back out and paraded around again.

A hooded 3 iron.

I understand . My Dad brought me up fishing / hunting and I have had similar feelings. I remember going on a trip to Dale Hollow the Spring after the fall that Dad passed, when I caught a 5lb. smallmouth .....had to hold it up and look to the sky with a smile and tears in my eyes. 2 cast later, caught a 4 1/4 ol' brown fish just like he told me "stop admiring that one and throw right back there ...there's another one there ;).

I know that your Dad was looking down, smiling when your boy's turkey flopped.

Edited by oldrambler

I think I know the decoy you're talking about. It's a dilapidated thing. Frankly, I quit using decoys. Not to say that they don't work, I have had some good and bad with decoys. I've seen them flogged and I've seen them cause Toms and their harem to hit the road. So now I just choose to set up better. I know in some cases you just can't, and there have been times I had one stick his head up and not see that hen that was just calling and he sauntered off. But those times are few.

It's a very dilapidated thing. You're onto something....I'm not sure they make one bit of difference either. Dad has all, but quit using them.....until he was talked into buying this Thunder Chicken thing by his buddies who swore by it. I know he didn't have it Monday morning when he got his first one this year.