Another turkey season

spindoc

I had a good hunting / fishing buddy try to get me in turkey hunting a long time ago and I told him that I would but that was the same weeks that the crappie and bass were wide open and I had to be there every chance I had, lol.

Now, being disabled / wheelchair bound, bed ridden w/ Multiple Sclerosis .....I wish I had tried chasing those thunder chickens.

There is a flock of turkeys that live in the fields around my farm. I can see why they are a challenge to hunt....even though they may be a few hundred yards away, when I walk out the door, they take off running...and they are fast. The scariest thing about them is encountering them when I am out there on my horse. When they jump and fly, it is not a fun experience on a spooky horse.

There is a flock of turkeys that live in the fields around my farm. I can see why they are a challenge to hunt....even though they may be a few hundred yards away, when I walk out the door, they take off running...and they are fast. The scariest thing about them is encountering them when I am out there on my horse. When they jump and fly, it is not a fun experience on a spooky horse.
They probably wait on you just for kicks.:banana:

They probably wait on you just for kicks.:banana:

I wouldn't be surprised. Nothing like seeing a 1,200 pound animal do a jump and 180 spin with a stupid human hanging on. I am learning to send the dogs out first.

I use decoys, have had big toms attack them, however the Big Tom that I have I actually put a real fan on, and re-painted his head, if a tom is not a dominate bird they run from him, however those dang jake's come in numbers for a fight and lets just say it has cost them before. I have taken them both ways, but I prefer the right type of decoys, its an eye grabber for sure for them, I have watched Tom's enter the field and sprint to my decoy's. The 2 that we saw this weekend double gobbled 15 yards away, it was awesome...

I wish I had a video of a hunt my bro in law and I were on in Texas. We had a jake and a hen out in a set up and this tom was literally sprinting towards us when he saw our decoys and made a u-turn without breaking stride and when back from whence he came. Didn't fly, just made a nice transition to his previous location. We laugh about it still today.