Lawson brothers transferring to Kansas

Dedric, KJ Lawson, the transfers from Memphis, are transferring to Kansas.

My guess is that Kansas is more interested in the younger Lawson brothers and the cousin than they are Dedric and KJ (not that both aren't solid players - especially Dedric).

I think they left in January...or at least they stopped playing. Memphis imploded down the stretch. Their last two games were lost by over 70 points combined. I don't know exactly what happened, but Tubby totally lost that team for whatever reason. Inquiring minds would like to know. Most thought Tubby was a reasonable pick to come in and work with some of the existing talent. Dedric was an excellent performer the year before and much of this past year. The Memphis faithful thought this routine would be over when Pastner left, but it was even worse this year.

The pressure will be on Tubby this year.

Markel Crawford also transferring. These were the top three scorers at Memphis. It was thought Crawford might stay if KJ was leaving, but that theory is wrong. This makes at least five players transferring out. Tubby is starting over next year it appears.

I think Keelon Lawson is poison. Quote: " Kansas giving me a lot more than Memphis". Memphis was not going to retain him as a coach, and he will be doing something other than coaching at Kansas. Something smells rotten, and I hope KU gets caught. I care less each year about college sports, and I was once a big fan.

I think Keelon Lawson is poison. Quote: " Kansas giving me a lot more than Memphis". Memphis was not going to retain him as a coach, and he will be doing something other than coaching at Kansas. Something smells rotten, and I hope KU gets caught. I care less each year about college sports, and I was once a big fan.

Where is that quote from? I listened to an interview he did yesterday with Gary Parrish and he couldn't have came across much better.

Where is that quote from? I listened to an interview he did yesterday with Gary Parrish and he couldn't have came across much better.

He has said a lot of good things, but that doesn't mean his influence on the program is positive. His statement was a quote to John Martin on April 10. I/ve been offered and they offered a whole lot more than Memphis gave me."

He can say the right things in public, but it is his actions that speak. The program collapsed after January, and it is the head coaches responsibility, but I wonder if Tubby really had the influence over this team. Lots of dynamics going on when you have an apparent high profile dad and two important players. I don't know the back story, but I am trying to find out what went on. UM is my alma-mater, and we take our basketball seriously there also, and the program is very comparable to UK except for national championships, tourney appearances, players in the pros, all-time wins and stuff like that....ok we are both blue. However a Tiger is bigger than a Wildcat.

He has said a lot of good things, but that doesn't mean his influence on the program is positive. His statement was a quote to John Martin on April 10. I/ve been offered and they offered a whole lot more than Memphis gave me."

He can say the right things in public, but it is his actions that speak. The program collapsed after January, and it is the head coaches responsibility, but I wonder if Tubby really had the influence over this team. Lots of dynamics going on when you have an apparent high profile dad and two important players. I don't know the back story, but I am trying to find out what went on. UM is my alma-mater, and we take our basketball seriously there also, and the program is very comparable to UK except for national championships, tourney appearances, players in the pros, all-time wins and stuff like that....ok we are both blue. However a Tiger is bigger than a Wildcat.

He might have been a pain in Tubby's butt, but if he was he was a pain in his butt with connections to 5 really really good basketball players. I could put up with a lot if dude is bringing in good players.

Parrish projects next years Memphis roster to be the worst in his lifetime. Much of that is totally on Tubby.

He might have been a pain in Tubby's butt, but if he was he was a pain in his butt with connections to 5 really really good basketball players. I could put up with a lot if dude is bringing in good players.

Parrish projects next years Memphis roster to be the worst in his lifetime. Much of that is totally on Tubby.

I can't argue with you. Tubby is not connected to Memphis, and Keelon was. Tubby better GET connected really fast or he will fail. I believe the Memphis faithful are willing to see Tubby's plan and progress to that plan, but we don't see either yet.

He didn't end up being Cal 2.0.

So it was involuntary....or at least mutual? With the trouble that Tubby is reported to be having, I was wondering if there might be something amiss with the perception of the program, or with the school administration or alumni support.

So it was involuntary....or at least mutual? With the trouble that Tubby is reported to be having, I was wondering if there might be something amiss with the perception of the program, or with the school administration or alumni support.

First, Tubby was a terrible hire for Memphis. Tubby clearly isn't a recruiter and has shown limited interest in playing the recruiting game (or hiring someone to play it for him, from how it appears). Memphis is a good job with good local talent, but you have to go out and get it. I don't know if he has that ability anymore (or really if he ever liked recruiting that type of kid; remember, he was beating out schools like Miami-Ohio, Akron, and Temple for kids while at Kentucky).

Second, it does appear there is some friction between the higher ups and the athletic department at Memphis. I don't know any details but I did read a couple of articles from down there when Tubby was hired and also this week. That can't be a good work environment.

Finally, and someone already said it, neither Pastner nor Tubby is, was, or ever will be John Calipari. And for Memphis, when you've had someone like Cal, it is very hard to find the next version.

Good post @gchs_uk9. There is no lack of alumni support in Memphis. It was believed that Tubby could come in, coach the existing talent (particularly the Lawson's), bring some other guys up and provide a "name" coach for the program.

Pastner was always believed to be a good guy and a good recruiter, but his teams usually appeared ragged and lacked execution, and he as well struggled with transfers...Tarik Black to name one who went to Kansas. For him to leave was mutual. There are many faithful who still believe that Penny Hardaway will be the answer. It was thought he may tutor under Tubby, but maybe the fact that he hasn't tells us something. He is well-connected with talent, well liked, and passionate about Memphis. I am disappointed with what is going on there. There seem to be questions about whether Tubby is really engaged in the program.

Regarding the administration...my opinion is the AD is an idiot and needs to be gone.