Republic Bank/KHSAA State Tennis Team Championships

Girls’ Team Semifinals

Sacred Heart Academy (SHA) defeated Highlands (H) 3-0

1 Singles – Samantha Higgins (SHA) led Lexi Herman (H) 6-3, 1-0 abandoned

2 Singles – Ella Rueff (SHA) led Sarah Hoffmann (H) 6-4, 2-0 abandoned

3 Singles – Kailey King (SHA) defeated Lauren Auteri (H) 6-2, 6-1

1 Doubles – Natalie Dahlem/Isabelle Kuo (SHA) defeated Brooke Hodory/Mia Smith (H) 6-4, 6-1 *Updated Score - Not An Official Score*

2 Doubles – Abby Birk/Natalie Chou (SHA) defeated Lacey Pohlman/Elizabeth Schwalbach (H) 6-0, 6-1

McCracken Co (MC) defeated Corbin © 3-0

1 Singles – Michelle McKamey (MC) def. Jaclyn Jewell © 6-0, 6-0

2 Singles – Taylor Sprouse (MC) defeated Samantha Spady © 6-4, 6-0

3 Singles – Mesa Trimm (MC) led Caroline Reedy © 6-3, 5-1 abandoned

1 Doubles – Madelyn Kauffman/Sophia Shiben (MC) def. Ellie Jane Carloftis/Cora Stevens © 6-0, 6-0

2 Doubles – Danni Poat/Shelby Puryear (MC) led Sarah Gibbs/Emily Morton © 6-3, 5-0 abandoned

Boys’ Team Semifinals

St. Xavier (X) defeated Trinity (T) 3-0

1 Singles – Drew Singerman (X) defeated Trey Akmon (T) 6-3, 6-0

2 Singles – Alex Wesbrooks (X) defeated Sam Rueff 6-0, 6-1

3 Singles – Matt Graft (X) led Brandon Chou (T) 6-3, 2-2 abandoned

1 Doubles – Spencer Blandford/Patrick Koshewa (X) led Tommy McConville/Lucas Sakamaki (T) 6-2, 4-4 abandoned

2 Doubles – Preston Camerson/Adam Hardin (X) defeated Zach Kelly/Cameron Strause (T) 6-3, 6-0

Henry Clay (HC) defeated McCracken Co (MC) 3-0

1 Singles – Noah Tapp (HC) defeated Tommy Hagan (MC) 6-0, 6-3

2 Singles – Alex Dubilier (HC) led Logan McKinney (MC) 6-4, 1-1 abandoned

3 Singles – Keifer Mays (HC) led Eddie Lam (MC) 6-3, 5-1 abandoned

1 Doubles – Will Andrews/Matt Telfer (HC) def. Landon Davis/Vincent Shiben (MC) 6-3, 6-0

2 Doubles – Matt Castle/Philip Priest (HC) def. Zach Althouse/Beau Garcia (MC) 6-1, 6-1

Girls’ Team Final

McCracken Co (MC) defeated Sacred Heart (SHA) 3-0

1 Singles – Michelle McKamey (MC) defeated Ella Rueff (SHA) 6-0, 6-1

2 Singles – Taylor Sprouse (MC) defeated Kailey King (SHA) 6-0, 6-1

3 Singles – Mesa Trimm (MC) won by default

1 Doubles – Madelyn Kauffman (MC) led Abby Birk/Samantha Higgins (SHA) 6-3, 1-2 abandoned

2 Doubles – Danni Poat/Shelby Puryear (MC) led Natalie Chou/Kennedy Martin (SHA) 6-3, 3-0 abandoned

Boys’ Team Final

St Xavier (X) defeated Henry Clay (HC) 3-0

1 Singles – Drew SIngerman (X) defeated Noah Tapp (HC) 6-2, 6-0

2 Singles – Alex Wesbrooks (X) defeated Alex Dubilier (HC) 6-0, 6-0

3 Singles – Matt Graft (X) defeated Matt Castle (HC) 6-1, 6-0

1 Doubles – Spencer Blandford/Patrick Koshewa (X) led Will Andrews/Matt Telfer (HC) 2-6, 6-2, (9-6) abandoned

2 Doubles –Keifer Mays /Philip Priest (HC) led Preston Cameron/Adam Hardin (X) 7-5, 3-1 abandoned

Girls' Bracket

http://khsaa.org/tennis/2016/girlsteamresults.pdf

Boys' Bracket

http://khsaa.org/tennis/2016/boysteamresults.pdf

I watched some of the tournament on Saturday in the cold and wind.

I was impressed with Corbin's girls team, Owensboro Catholic's boys and Henry Clay's boys. Those were the three I watched the most and they were all fine teams.

I wanted to give a shout-out to Belfry's boys team who made their first appearance in the tennis state tournament.

Belfry only started tennis two years ago (this is their 3rd season) and a lot of the kids had never played the game before. The Pirates don't even have any tennis courts. For practice they travel to a local community park where there are two really old courts, and in bad weather they have to rent space in Logan, WV which is about 30 minutes away. Because of the lack of courts, they can't host a match, and they have to travel for every match they play during the season, which sometimes is 1-2 hour drive.

Even though they have some adversity, Belfry's kids have worked hard, and are building a program. When they play at the state level, the boys were overmatched in talent, but they played with heart and everyone in Belfry is proud of their accomplishment.

Congratulations, guys!!!

I don't feel as bad now for Russell Boys(3-0 loss to ST.Xavier) Tennis since ST. Xavier also beat Greenwood 3-0,Trinity 3-0,Henry Clay 3-0 on the way to the State Title. Russell did at least Manage to beat Highlands and make it to the quarterfinals.

Also everyone, I had someone send me this:

Subject: Incorrect scores in Highlands vs Sacred Heart Kentucky State Team Semifinal

1 Doubles Dahlem/Kuo of Sacred Heart Academy defeated Hodory/Smith of Highlands 6-4, 6-1 instead of 6-3, 6-1 listed on your webpage. I watched the whole match. Please let me know if it is your mistake or whether you got the scores directly from the tournament, because then I will notify them.

They were a no show is what we were told on Saturday.

Thanks That's crazy, does the school system's not provide a bus for tennis? Or does the team have to provide its own way to the State tennis Tournament? I don't understand why they didn't show up but the Boys team did.

Four Sacred Heart seniors chose to go their graduation over playing in the state final against McCracken Co., per Jason Frakes in the C-J, including their number 1 doubles team and their no. 1 singles player.

Thanks That's crazy, does the school system's not provide a bus for tennis? Or does the team have to provide its own way to the State tennis Tournament? I don't understand why they didn't show up but the Boys team did.

I believe I read it was a prom conflict.

I can't imagine how anyone would choose prom or graduation over playing in the state tennis tournament (especially the finals), but I guess everyone makes their own decisions.