Highlands or Newport?

Since this has become a discussion elsewhere, it needs its own thread. As a Holy Cross fan, I can safely say NewCath is the overwhelming favorite to win the district, but who will be the runner-up?

Will it be Highlands, improving each game and gaining momentum. The Birds nearly beat Newport earlier in the season while still getting their football players into basketball shape.

Will be it Newport, showing off a good record and fine individual players. The Wildcats held on for dear life against Highlands the last time. The Bluebirds lost by a point.

No, I did not include Bellevue or Dayton in here. IMO neither has a real shot at beating the other two. Is it Highlands or Newport getting the trip to the Ninth region tournament as runner-up?

Bellevue beat Highlands last year for the 3 seed. Highlands was the 4. Now different teams this year....absolutely....but Highlands has struggled before defeating Dayton twice and Bellevue has split with Dayton. Now I agree I think Highlands will be the three seed but I also think Bellevue will give them a decent game.

I will go with Highlands. Kevin Listerman is a good coach who has the tough job of getting football players without much basketball practice. Listerman will have lots of time between now and the districts to get a good rotation and chemistry.

I like how physical his team plays. If they can hit some fts, Highlands could be a tough team for some of the Ninth region qualifiers in March. Listerman is the consummate winner, his days at CovCath and NKU as a player an example.

Now, that said, NewCath should win that district without a doubt. But the Highlands and Newport game in the other bracket could be an intense battle since one of the teams will be finished after the game. Lots on the line in that one.

Bellevue beat Highlands last year for the 3 seed. Highlands was the 4. Now different teams this year....absolutely....but Highlands has struggled before defeating Dayton twice and Bellevue has split with Dayton. Now I agree I think Highlands will be the three seed but I also think Bellevue will give them a decent game.

You are right, Bellevue did beat them last year. Don't see that happening this year. Watched Bellevue at the All A the other night and they have a LONG way to go before they can think about beating Highlands this year.

This may be your most thoughtful comment I've seen in any of these threads. lol.

What is the over/under for technical fouls with Mullins in that game? lol!

Leave the kid out of it. Everybody got their "jabs" in a month ago when he made his mistake, now it's over. If he does it again then have at it, but until then, give it a rest.

Edited by hoops5
Rule 14

Leave the kid out of it. Everybody got their "jabs" in a month ago when he made his mistake, now it's over. If he does it again then have at it, but until then, give it a rest.

I'm assuming you heard about what happened after the Holy Cross/Newport game the other night with said player. My reason for asking that.

This may be your most thoughtful comment I've seen in any of these threads. lol.

I know you're a Newport fan/coach, so good luck to you when Highlands meets you in the district. What is the over/under for technical fouls with Mullins in that game? lol!

You really need to read, and think about your posts, before you hit the submit button. The constant bashing of people and their comments is getting pretty old.

Please remember that Mullins is a kid.... yes a kid.... that you are bashing. Grow Up!!!

You really need to read, and think about your posts, before you hit the submit button. The constant bashing of people and their comments is getting pretty old.

Please remember that Mullins is a kid.... yes a kid.... that you are bashing. Grow Up!!!

Thanks for your comments. It's an open forum, broke no rules. Calm down and hit the soccer field.

No, do tell.

He was actually quite respectful and shook hands with the Holy Cross players, I was impressed. That is why I jokingly asked about over/under for T's, as he seemed totally different than what we had been told. I hope he gets his self together and plays well. He has good talent, but is he coachable? That was my point.