3A Notebook - Pirates Sink, Devils Stunned, and Two Unknown Unbeatens

gchs_uk9

Belfry Undone by Turnovers, Cabell-Midland

One thirty-second advertisement for this year's Super Bowl will cost around $5 million. For Belfry on Friday night, thirty seconds might not have cost them millions, but it probably did cost them the game. On a night when seemingly nothing could go right at West Virginia powerhouse Cabell-Midland, the Pirates were still in the ball game just before halftime, trailing 21-7 but driving. However, an interception with 1:30 left gave Cabell-Midland the ball and they scored with 32 seconds on the clock to make the lead 28-7. Belfry then fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Cabell-Midland tossed a touchdown pass to make the halftime score 35-7 and the game was effectively over.

Belfry (5-1) was sloppy all evening, turning the ball over five times, while only accumulating 150 yards of total offense. Cabell-Midland, meanwhile, had two rushers clear the 100-yard mark and the Knights totaled 581 yards of offense. The loss was the worst for Belfry since falling to Ironton (OH) 55-7 on October 20, 2000.

So what does this mean for Belfry in Class 3A? Probably not much. Cabell-Midland is one of the biggest schools in West Virginia and would be a favorite against almost every school in Kentucky. Belfry is still counted among the best in the class. But the turnovers are troubling and something that will need to be fixed for the Pirates to assure themselves another title shot in December.

Fleming County Stuns Russell, Takes Command of District 5

When Russell beat West Carter last weekend, most were ready to anoint the Red Devils as champions of District 5. In fact, last week's 3A Notebook put Russell "in the driver's seat for a district championship." Fleming County may have something different to say about that after pulling off a huge 18-7 victory at Russell this weekend. Fleming County (4-2) was supposed to be in a rebuilding year after losing over twenty seniors from last year's seven-win ball club. But coach Bill Spencer's team has started this season 4-2 and has to now be considered among the district favorites.

Fleming County trailed 7-6 going into halftime before Zac Alexander returned a third quarter interception 91 yards to give the Panthers a 12-7 lead. T.J Miller would put the finishing touches on the upset with a 20-yard touchdown run halfway through the fourth. Fleming didn't do much offensively, tallying only 42 yards on the ground and 68 yards through the air. But the Panthers were able to capitalize on two lost Russell (4-2) fumbles to get their first victory in the series since a 24-3 win in 2001.

Adair, Henry Make Push for Top Ten

Four teams in Class 3A have undefeated records at this point in the season. Two you already know - Boyle County and Elizabethtown. The other two have flown just below the radar but should now be considered among the top ten in the class. Adair County routed Edmonson County by a score of 42-6 on Friday night to improve to 7-0 on the season. The Indians are led by the three-headed rushing attack of Jordan Lasley (694 yards, 9 TDs), Chance Melton (422 yards, 7 TDs), and Lonnie Grant (358 yards, 10 TDs). Melton also serves as the quarterback and has passed for 650 yards and 10 more scores. The biggest knock on Adair has been their schedule, but that will change in two weeks when the Indians return to the field to take on unbeaten district rival Elizabethtown.

Henry County has begun the season 6-0 and will look to improve on that this coming weekend against an improving Waggener program. Picked in the preseason to finish third in District 3, the Wildcats are now on pace to host a playoff game and have an outside shot at winning their first district title since 2009 if they can beat Central on October 23. Like Adair, Henry has done most of their damage on the ground. Jacob Watson is the leading rusher with 594 yards while Cameron Johnson is close on his heels with 551 yards. The defense has been very strong, allowing 175 total yards per game and only two teams (Lincoln County and Owen County) have scored more than one touchdown in a game against Henry.

Around the Rankings

#3 Central (4-2) had little trouble with Moore, dispatching the Mustangs 46-6. A road trip to Henry County on October 23 is likely the only thing standing between the Yellowjackets and a tenth consecutive district championship.

#4 Caldwell County (6-1) showed no ill effects of a big win over Paducah Tilghman last weekend, coasting to a 40-14 victory over Union County. The Tigers ran for 153 yards and passed for another 236 yards in the win.

#5 Elizabethtown (7-0) ran for 398 yards in a 49-7 dismantling of Hart County. The Panthers have allowed only 62 points all season and now have two weeks to prepare for what will likely be the district championship game at Adair County on October 16.

#7 Paducah Tilghman (4-3) pitched a 50-0 shutout over Trigg County. The Blue Tornado have averaged 42 points per game in their four wins, but only 22 per game in their three losses. They've also allowed 43 points per game in those losses.

#9 Bell County (5-1) continued their winning ways with a 47-12 victory over Casey County. Treyton Humfleet ran for 205 yards and five touchdowns.

#10 Corbin (4-3) had little trouble with Jackson County, winning 36-0 in the rain on Thursday night. The Redhounds ran for 187 yards and allowed only 95 yards total offense in a game that featured a running clock.

Extra Points

Bardstown (3-3) picked up a needed win after two straight losses to undefeated teams. The Tigers beat Waggener 30-18 and still look to be in solid position to finish third in District 3.

Magoffin County (2-5) lost much from their first ever district title team last season but did get their first district win of this season, beating Knott County Central 54-35.

Lewis County (1-5) got their first win of the season, knocking off Pendleton County 20-15. Isaac Kelly passed for 91 yards and two touchdowns in the win.

Edited by gchs_uk9

I wonder if there will be any psychological hangover for Belfry after such a bad loss? I don't know if any of the kids on this year's roster have ever been on the receiving end of a beat down like that. I know they lost to JC last year 35-0, but they were missing a lot of starters. As far as I know, Belfry was at full strength last Friday and on a bit of a roll. It's like they hit a brick wall going 100mph. It'll be interesting to see how they rebound.

As far as Russell's concerned, this team has been running in place all season. After returning so many starters/major contributors on offense, I thought this year's unit would be one of the best in recent memory at Russell. The defense continues to play well, but the offense has zero continuity. Now their best player is out for a week or two. Fortunately, the next two weeks feature arguably the two weakest teams on the schedule. If the Devils don't get themselves sorted out, they won't last long in the postseason.

Estill County should win the remaining of their games (Morgan, Knott and Berea) and end the season at 6-4 with the 3 spot on the road first round of the playoffs.

GCHS, great articles my friend. You do a fantastic job with these.

Thanks!

I wonder if there will be any psychological hangover for Belfry after such a bad loss? I don't know if any of the kids on this year's roster have ever been on the receiving end of a beat down like that. I know they lost to JC last year 35-0, but they were missing a lot of starters. As far as I know, Belfry was at full strength last Friday and on a bit of a roll. It's like they hit a brick wall going 100mph. It'll be interesting to see how they rebound.

You were dead-on with this one, my friend.

Just done some research. Estill has actually a chance to finish 2nd in the district and host a home playoff game. They would have to win the two remaining district games (Morgan/KCC) that would put them at 3-2. That would put Morgan adn KCC at 1-3 going into their final district game. They would need Breathitt to lose at least one more district game in order for the head to head tie breaker which would go to Estill County because Estill has 2 out of conference wins to Breathitt's 0