Dad With An Innovative Idea For Youth Football

I would of said Single Wing because those guys have some crazy numbering systems. Numbers for backs and holes tend to be a holdover now a days. In many offenses they aren't really needed.

Good thing the kid doesn't have to learn DL techs. Try explaining why a 7 is inside a 6 and 9 and an 8 is outside.

Won't lie, as a kid, I struggled with holes. Have trouble telling left from right occasionally (especially if talking to someone else and trying to think "my right or your right"), etc. I also wondered why they didn't just number them 1-2-3-4-5 as you went across.

Won't lie, as a kid, I struggled with holes. Have trouble telling left from right occasionally (especially if talking to someone else and trying to think "my right or your right"), etc. I also wondered why they didn't just number them 1-2-3-4-5 as you went across.

That's how wing-t teams do it but it flips with the strength of the formation. Other systems do go straight across. Then some of those single wing teams start inside with large numbers and get smaller but it starts over the middle of the formation. Then you have the series guys where the first number is the backfield action and second is point of attack. Then you have guys like Wyatt where the first number tells direction of the FB and second tells poa. For some people giving the center two numbers screws them up.

Honestly a lot of the terminology we use is what we learned and then either forced other systems into what we learned or added it to what we learned as players. There is a ton of verbiage that can be eliminated if we as coaches were willing to do so.

Well it's a 3 digit play call. First being the formation, second series, third being POA. Yeah that took me a bit to wrap my head around. Once I got it I was fine but man at first. We dropped numbers all together for words and letters.

Just hope the coach isn't an old school Delaware wing-t guy. The numbers move as you flip the formation.

I'm from Delaware and my coach played for Tubby Raymond. We ran the Wing T and never flipped holes numbering based on strength. Our plays had 3 numbers. The first number set the formation which basically told the wing where to go, the second number was the series of plays, and the third number was the point of attack. Holes were numbered traditionally, odds to the left, evens to the right. Lots of different ways to do the same thing.

Tubby numbered straight across unless he decided to do it differently from his book. We used the series and POA but used the traditional numbering system like you stated. Well at least kind of. We didn't have the center have two numbers. We numbered gaps not OL.

From the Delaware stuff I am familiar with for instance you want to run Buck Sweep to the right: 121 buck sweep would denote that 100 would be the formation, 20 being buck sweep series, and 1 being the POA, to the left would be 929 Buck sweep with 900 being 100 formation flipped, 20 would be the buck sweep series still and this time 9 would be the POA. I know a lot of coaches don't really favor this system of numbering and would simply call it 28 buck sweep etc.