Which class is the most difficult to win a state title in, 5A or 6A?

Which class is the most difficult to win a state football title in, 5A or 6A?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which class is the most difficult to win a state football title in, 5A or 6A?

• 5A is the most difficult to win a state football championship
    • 6A is the most difficult to win a state football championship

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No question about it, by far 6A is the most difficult class to win a state football championship in.

Trinity, St. Xavier, Male, Scott County

6A is by far more difficult.

What class do you think is most difficult? Why?

I put 6A, but I guess it depends upon your perspective. For Trinity, winning 6A seems quite easy most years.

So do you think it would be easier for Trinity to win 6A most years than it would be for Trinity to win 5A most years?

So do you think it would be easier for Trinity to win 6A most years than it would be for Trinity to win 5A most years?

Of course, but they are a 6A school, it should be easier. I am thinking more along the lines of competitive balance. The gap between the top tier of 6A and the tier below is more significant than the gap between the top tier of 5A and its tier below, consistently speaking.

Of course, but they are a 6A school, it should be easier. I am thinking more along the lines of competitive balance. The gap between the top tier of 6A and the tier below is more significant than the gap between the top tier of 5A and its tier below, consistently speaking.

I believe you have contradicted yourself. You voted that 6A was the most difficult class to win the championship in but you just said 6A is easier for Trinity. You need to think this through.

6A has the likes of Trinity, Male, St. X, and Scott County. 5A now has the likes of Highlands and Bowling Green two teams who probably were 2 of the 3 top teams in the State 4 out of the last 5 years. Then also CovCath who's program has really been built up and probably can start competiting regularly now with Highlands and a Bowling Green. So 6A still would get the nod at being tough, but 5A definitely is tough in its own right now too.

6A has the likes of Trinity, Male, St. X, and Scott County. 5A now has the likes of Highlands and Bowling Green two teams who probably were 2 of the 3 top teams in the State 4 out of the last 5 years. Then also CovCath who's program has really been built up and probably can start competiting regularly now with Highlands and a Bowling Green. So 6A still would get the nod at being tough, but 5A definitely is tough in its own right now too.

Now, sure you can make the argument. But the question was framed year-in and year-out, or as I took it, up until this point.

Now, sure you can make the argument. But the question was framed year-in and year-out, or as I took it, up until this point.

If it was year in and year out then definitely 6A over 5A by a huge margin. However if it is basing on how things are now and for years going ahead from this point, then 5A has closed the gap some in terms of how tough it would be to win 5A.

I agree with Guru that it is 6A by a landslide. Owensboro (and Collins before that) proved that you can compete with Highlands at the end of the title road. And, that was in Class 4A. In 5A you add BG to the mix with CovCath. Then Pulaski Co. and Southwestern will both have good teams this year. Highlands is likely the slight favorite over BG for the title but if any of those teams beats Highlands I wouldn't be surprised based on what we've seen from Collins and O'boro in the past.

In 6A, you have T, X, and Male and usually one other public school out in the state that is very strong. After that there is a MASSIVE drop off. Heck, last season if we ranked teams in all classes many people would have ranked Trinity, Male and Dixie Heights as the top 3 teams overall. And, we saw what Trinity did to Dixie in the state finals. There is just a huge gap between the top 6A schools and the rest.

And, based on another comment above. I think it would be easier for Trinity to win the 5A title than it would be for Highlands, CovCath, or BG to win the 6A title.

What first looked like a simple question to me I'll have to think about. There are two ways to look at it. If you're in the top tier of each class is it easier or harder to win. If you're one of the other non top tier schools is it easier or harder. Has it been easier for T to win 6A recently or BG to win 5A? Has it been easier for all the other schools to win 6A or 5A recently? I think there are conflicting answers depending on who you are.

Or am I over thinking the question?

What first looked like a simple question to me I'll have to think about. There are two ways to look at it. If you're in the top tier of each class is it easier or harder to win. If you're one of the other non top tier schools is it easier or harder. Has it been easier for T to win 6A recently or BG to win 5A? Has it been easier for all the other schools to win 6A or 5A recently? I think there are conflicting answers depending on who you are.

Or am I over thinking the question?

I think you are over thinking the question. Consider this comparison to make a decision.

In any given year your team has made the final four in either 5A or 6A. For argument's sake let's use Cooper High School as your team. Which path is more difficult.

5A Final Four: Highlands, Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, Cooper

6A Final Four: Trinity, Male, St. Xavier, Cooper

If you are Cooper, which class is most difficult to win the title, 5A or 6A?

In 5A Cooper would have to beat two of Bowling Green, Highlands, and CovCath.

In 6A Cooper would have to beat two of St. Xavier, Male, and Trinity.