Draft Kings

Very addicting, in a fun way. No strings attached. Basically you create a fantasy team for that day. They have beginner games so you can use to playing. Can go into tournaments, 50/50 Leagues(Top half get $) and Head to Head. Everything resets daily,

Very addicting, in a fun way. No strings attached. Basically you create a fantasy team for that day. They have beginner games so you can use to playing. Can go into tournaments, 50/50 Leagues(Top half get $) and Head to Head. Everything resets daily,

Sounds like a recipe for losing $.

• 2 weeks later...
I hear these commercials a lot -- is anybody winning money?

I'm thinking about seeing what it's about but don't know enough about it. Most of the guys in my fantasy league seem to make pretty solid moves and I thought about trying to follow those moves with a DraftKings account. If I do it, I'll let you know how it goes.

I wound up signing up and putting a very small amount in. Basically, you have a budget and draft a lineup each day. There are variety of ways you can play, but the ones that appealed to me most were the $1-$3 ones that were "50/50" contests. In a 50/50, you'll have, say, 30 people and the top 15 are paid out, with a $3 entry getting $5.40 in return, I haven't looked, but I'd imagine that the ratios are pretty similar across.

For NBA games, you pick an 8 player roster with a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C, plus a G, F, and UTIL slot.

For MLB games, you pick two pitchers and then each position player.

I won both beginner leagues last night. Was fortunate because I used Ryan Anderson on the chance that the Pellies took out Asik and went small ball because of the way they'd looked in the first two games (too hard to play Asik and Davis together because you are putting Davis out on the floor and away from the rim against a small Warriors team). Anyway, he exploded and everyone really stepped up and played over their expectations, which was enough to make up for Olynynk's game. I won $11 on a risk of $6. I have three lineups tonight that I'll post below.

@ColonelCrazy

LineUps.png

The thought here is that Patty Mills gets a lot of minutes because Parker is so banged up, and that Duncan has some lower minutes as well (he didn't come off the floor in Wed.'s Game 2). I like the Raptors to make it a game tonight and Derozan is their man to do it. The lineup on the left and in the center are in 50/50 leagues where the top half wins. The lineup on the right is a worst case scenario hedge on the other two lineups that I entered into a bigger pool where only the top 1/3 win, but the payout is higher (and I only risked a dollar).

Here are the teams I had last night. Both barely won, but each was a winner. I like the contests where you just have to finish in the top 'x' percentile, and will probably be playing lots of ones where you just have to finish top half. Seems easier to strategize for that and just stay up on the curve.

Night1.png

Lost back of those and basically now back to even. I was one place out of the top 50% on one, but the Spurs blowout and emptied benches killed me on a night when the Houston/Dallas game was in the 100's and I didn't really have anyone save Demar Derozen from either.

Never played Draft Kings, but I'm a user on Fanduel, which is basically the same type of site. I mostly play during football season. I've never won any big money...the most I won was $50 on an NBA lineup. All in all, it's mostly fun, and my $25 deposit got me through the entire football season, and I won a total of just under $100.