Everything posted by WoodyJr
-
Chase Minnifield commits to UVA
Why would anyone take his statement as a negative? #1 it presumes petrino is such a good coach that he'll get a better offer #2 He's 100% absolutely correct:thumb: Grohh is practically certain to be there & insure this young mans continued support/coaching while petrino, uh not so much Woody Jr
-
Could Mercer/Harrodsburg Consolidated be forced to play 3A in 2006?
I think the KHSAA is like a huge battleship which is very slow to manuver in a specific detailed manner. However if they get all their guns focused on you - it's big trouble! In other words - I don't think they can even get organized enough to respond to this issue before the season is upon us I think one reason some have brought up this issue (entirely reasonable to do so) is that a few people on BGP have been posting statements that "Mercerburg" is a lock to win the 2A title, bragged how they are going to dominate 2A, or have considered them one of the favorites, etc. All this on top of some very dismissive comments about anyone who expressed any concern about the problems it will cause for all the other schools Harrodsburg had promised to play/scrimmage this season or the questions people had about why a team with with 3A numbers is eligible in 2A competition. [we already know redistricting isnt done every year so no need to beat that horse] So I doubt they will be forced into 3A now. I also doubt that they are close to a "Remember the Titans" sequel Woody Jr
-
Chase Minnifield commits to UVA
Gosh I'm old, I remember when that name meant basketball Woody Jr
-
Ironton, OH Coach resigns after 34 years...
I never noticed any questionable calls against Ashland :laugh: Woody Jr
-
If Boyle County can dance, I can too..
I would also - if those are the only factors in play for both Woody jr
-
Coaching
:thumb: Congrats on your results. I'd like to remind anyone who starts into coaching that if you get too personally invested in the kids or particular kid(s) that you can be setting yourself up for problems. Keep in mind that if you want to get into the coaching profession, that its best to maintain a professional approach to everything - including your players. Believe me, that can be very hard to do. It's definitely a razors edge that seperates connecting with your players vs. keeping a safe, professional distance. I don't know if I'm presenting this as I intend - but hopefully you get my drift. When they screwup you can't take it personal b/c you have invested so much into it :sssh: It sounds like you have a nice way with the kids so far. Good luck coach P.S. I would suggest you read some history on my namesake. He's much more than some of the stupid sideline outbursts most like to recall Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Coaching
Nice to hear of those with a passion for the game & want to impart that to others. IMO it's not X's and O's or what scheme a coach runs - it's how he imparts things to his players. Some genuises of the game couldn't coach joe Montana. A coach is a "teacher" . For me an understanding of the age group you are dealing with is very important. If a coach is truely honest they will admit they are a thief. We steal ideas fro those who came before us. Read up on those who came before you. All the so-called genious passing wizards you here about today - owe everything to Sid Gilman. Go watch & study lots of different coaches andhow they go about things - take the best of each and what works for you. If you are normally quiet and analytical, you can't scream & holler at players. take what you have & build on it - no one is strong in every aspect. As a youth coach, my goal was to always find help that was "smarter" than me in some area or aspect of the game or coaching. If I was goin gto asst someone else I needed to bring something to the table that would benefit them/their team (was how I looked at it) Talk to coaches. Talk to coaches. Talk to coaches. ask smart questions ! the good thing I've found is that most coaches LOVE to share & talk about what they love - FOOTBALL. Unless you have a specific connection I would commit yourself to working your way up from lower levels / youth leagues. Offer to hhelp the HS program with scouting maybe, sit in on film sessions maybe, observe various practice stations and coaches for a period of time with each. As you can see, those of us who love the game- often love to talk about it to. Best of luck Wody Jr
-
When will a Lexington 4A school win another championship?
Not sure how it is lately but last time I observed many Lex teams didnt have enough fans to start a good pillow fight Need support for a successful program IMO Woody Jr
-
If Boyle County can dance, I can too..
I'm an Ashland fan who was living in the Lex area about 1996-98. As a HS football fan I went to different games in the area most Fridays; Lex Cath, Harrodsburg, etc as well as the other city schools. I told people back then that Boyle was going to be amajor power as long as "that coach" was there - only knew he was a former Uk player. They weren't winning all the games back then but had great fundamentals, an outstanding approach to everything, and especially - played hard. Students of the game could see what was going to happen once they got a good run of athletes!! Boyle did it the right way IMO. and thats nice to watch. Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Who should be the New Boyd County Coach?
Tony Love would be a great get for BC. I'd be glad to block his driveway if you guys think he's considering it Of course its obvious that BC doesnt deserve him Tomcat Cheers, Woody jr
-
Best Individual Performance....
Jermain / Jermane (sp??)
-
West Jessamine Coach...out!
It doesnt seem that the "coach" was in the wrong ... Why do schools do stuff like this? - arrogance, ignorance, indifference, ineptitude? (gosh I'm using those too much recently:confused: ) It just puts everyone in a bad light. Maybe they though they could slide him through but when the other stuff became public they couldn't take a chance of close scrutiny? (don't mean to dredge up any unfortunate stuff) Woody Jr
-
CovCath Forfeits Game To Beechwood
Yep, the article I saw quoted one of the coaches as saying something to the effect of " you had 2 veteran coaches who both messed up" Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. Making Cuts During Last JV Game
It seems you are evading the actual words you used re; CJ. If as you said, someone is half the player as a junior that means they became twice the player as a senior. You can't fairly use their class one way in a debate then turn around and argue against the very same principle - a player CAN make a tremendous improvement coming into their senior year. We see it over and over and over again, how 5 year seniors and players given up on, end up making a contribution before all is said and done. It happens at all levels and HS is an age where tremendous change can occur in short periods of time. To say thats it, there's no way for this kid, is a view that is too often based in arrogance, ignorance or indifference much too often IMO. So what if someone hasn't made varsity as a junior? It makes no difference. Running off a junior (assuming no problems) at this point benefits the baseball program how?? Not at all in my view. The upside is that one of these times a junior may turn out to help your program as a senior - no one can deny that. The downside is what??? You have one more player working out through the offseason? You have one more player in line during tryouts? Those would be very pathetic excuses to run off kids for a public school program. This is High School. Too many of these high school coaches think much more of themselves and their own ability than they have reason to. Why do so many people play along? Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. Making Cuts During Last JV Game
Well now, your view is that a player can dedicate themself and make a HUGE improvement between his Junior and Senior year. Perhaps even twice the player he was (as per your observation) So that would sure seem to support the view that it's downright silly to just tell a Junior to give up after his JV season, because after all - on top of a possible growth and/or maturity spurt, he could dedicate himself and become twice as good as he was as a junior - RIGHT ? Glad to hear someone else provide evidence for my beliefs :thumb: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Mercer Football 2006
Adding talent and great tradition from Harrodsburg can only help but even with that wasn't last year the first time Mercer has even won one playoff game in at least 10 years? Sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle but from what I've seen most teams built up to their championships through succeeding years of further advancement in the playoffs Woody Jr
-
Who should be the New Boyd County Coach?
Darn it. Guess it's not a surprise the locals apply though since Boyd only seems to hire from other local schools Woody Jr
-
Ironton, OH Coach resigns after 34 years...
Yep, the river might bw running red before too long
-
West Jessamine Coach...out!
It's a shame he had to leave either to attend to his family or unfair pressures? If thats the case Woody jr
-
Who should be the New Boyd County Coach?
Thank you O' wise one Keep an eye on our man there:thumb: Woody jr
-
Raceland 3 Boyd County 1
Wow, this thread has me feeling like I'm trapped in some time warp - though some might say I'm always warped:sssh: I have a hard time remembering what day of the week it is and so many on here have such long ago details that are great/pretty good/fairly accurate/guesstimations/vague recollections/hazy recall/excited utterances/psychotic delusions :D :D So, I heard this rumor that there was a HS game between Raceland & Boyd recently. Can anyone fill us in ? Just having fun guys Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Raceland 3 Boyd County 1
In my experience it helps to add some smilie faces, etc when you post something like above. Otherwise someone might think you really believe that.:confused: I mean it's obvious by now to anyone who has been involved in youth baseball, or even watched it for a reasonable period of time, that there are girls in the age group being discussed that can be competitive with boys. I recall watching several in LL through the years - as well as a starter on a KY LL state championship team. Hope that clarifies things :thumb: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Ironton, OH Coach resigns after 34 years...
Things seem very strange across the river. I looked on the OHSAA website and couldnt find a job listing for the position. Are they not required to post it and follow some guidelines? It seems rather odd that some undefined "search committee" is simply left to decide how to proceed. How long will they let this seemingly drag on? It's a great program to be left twisting in the wind .......... Woody jr
-
Boyd Co. Making Cuts During Last JV Game
Sorry have to disagree with that belief Woody Jr
- Mercer / Harrodsburg Consolidation