Everything posted by WoodyJr
-
Recruiting a bad word, WHY?
So my question (1of them) is did Lou public schools change to an open enrollment policy to keep up with the privates? and/or what are the related factors? thanx, Woody Jr
-
New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
Don't know what the midpoint is. Just offering thoughts re; others who are "positive" they know exactly how it should be. I dont think there is a 100% answer to the various alignments - thats why no matter what is used someone will cry Woody Jr
-
Recruiting a bad word, WHY?
IT'S ABSOLUTELY Urban vs Rural [i am NOT going to use a red state blue state comparison b/c too many people will blur this important subject with their other views] I keep seeing folks arguing that public schools don't have to limit their boundaries for accepting kids as if they just nilly willy made that up out of thin air. There have to be reasons! I don't recall if the larger cities of say Lou / Lex didnt used to have enforced boundaries and then changed or if it's always been that way? If changed, what were the political, financial, legislative pressures that caused it? As someone from a smaller city I recall having school boundaries originally mirroring the political lines of the city (those have evolved with annexation, etc. so I dont know that they match now) My "understanding" was that if we accepted X number of students from another school district then we had to reimburse that school district the fed/state/local?? monies equal to X's attendance. I believe it was a district by district agreement with sometimes no agreement reached - as I recall. I'd like to hear some opinions (preferable FACTS) on whether publics alleged "choosing" to have district boundaries is/was simply a gentlemans agreement in order to prevent so-called recruiting or simply mass exodus from one school to another that would leave a % of PUBLIC children in an unstable educational situation? Was it enforced/recommended by state legislature? After all, this is public school with a mandate to educate all children. So doesnt it make sense that each public school (or district) was established to serve a specific area - not have open enrollment? Are/were the public schools concerned with an influx of students that would overcrowd them and make the educational setting poor or unstable for their current students. (ie. would they not have enough monies from say their tax base to expand - since these kids were from outside where they received their local tax money?) There are other ideas/possible factors/reasons that I could throw out but I would really like to hear from others on: 1. what are the reasons the larger cities have open enrollment (and when/why did change - if it did so) 2. what are the reasons that most (it seems) public schools outside of those urban areas have a district boundary that is basically enforced for accepting students? Lets keep it on the basic principles - not slamming others please? Woody Jr
-
New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
- Scott County's Rodney Haddix ineligible for senior season
It's hard to imagine that since the youngster is so talented athletically that school officials did not make it crystal clear what the rules were on this. If school officials did not do so I find them at fault. Parents should obviously take whatever steps are necessary to know the details but we all know that some parents aren't quite up to the task and some kids just don't have a parent figure involved enough to do so. (it doesn't "seem" to be the case here but I havent heard anything about a school official who says they were told ....yet?). Maybe they were trying to gain an advantage - shame for the kid Woody Jr- Blume or Beach
:banana: :banana: :banana: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: Thats great for Arliss. Not he that he would say it , but I hope a lot of people are noticing ;) Big Tomcat Cheers, Woody Jr- Recruiting a bad word, WHY?
Then why have most(?) publics had this policy? There must be some sound needs for it - no? Woody JR- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
Id rather have the academics you mentioned - thats what schools are for. Athletics is about particpation and competing. If someone hammers you in one particular sporting event, that means nothing negative personally for you(or whoever lost). I've always said that the losing team might actually have the higher caliber "people" who go on to succeed in life.:thumb: Woody Jr- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
:thumb: just being my usual sarcastic self RP. No jab meant for T/X. Woody Jr- Why don't you hear T and X complaining about the blind draw and...
Thanx guru, Another had questioned whether all kids are eligible (wasnt sure what he was referring to?) I have no idea what percentage of publics have a strict district boundary for their student pop. Being from Ashland Im just used to a boundary which I believe was based on political lines, and they became different with various annexations, etc (not sure if schools eventually changed with it or not?) I had always understood that the schools had an agreement:confused: (for lack of a complete understanding on my part) that only kids in "their district" could enroll. As I recall, if for example we accepted 3 kids from a neighboring district we had to pay that district the federal/state/local? (its been a while) stipend or monies those students were generating. So the basis for my question in relation to your mantra:D is that I never see anyone get on here and say well the publics "have" to do this, or this is why they choose to do this, etc. Do you/others feel that publics(the majority??) institute this policy for no reason, for their benefit, etc?? I'm just curious whether its a need to make sure they dont have too many students, a gentlemans agreement between districts to prevent wholesale recruiting and/or destroying another public school, that they just don't want to fool with establishing a policy of accepting this student but not that one (thereby opening themselves up to legal action since they are a public school thats supposed to serve everyone - as per their policy?), or many other possible reasons. Sorry for the long windedness. Hope I got across what I was curious about. I would love to have open enrollment & get everyone! but not being a school admin person I realize there are lots of complicated issues Cheers, Woody Jr- Where will Ron "Blume" at next?
:thumb: :thumb: Nice post MT I agree with you intent though I feel & hope that most dont intend to take shots at a kid. This sort of thread ? just begs for a digression like what you mention. I TRY not to make any personal comment about a HS'er and instead focus on specifics but that is a grey area which folks can interpret differently. Cheers, Woody Jr- Yeagle to Ironton???
I think this is a perfect match I have absolutely no idea of coach Yeagles teaching situation but he certainly has demonstrated his capabilities to most all KY HS fans, especially No KY. We see numerous coaches who take retirement in one state then go coach in the other state - a nice double dip for hard working underpaid? coaches:thumb: Wanting to stay in No KY would be entirely normal if thats what happens, but if he is at the stage of life where he'd like to try a different shtick then Ironton would be great. It's only 2 hours right up the river, it's a small school, it has incredible tradition with totally committed players & community support(juist like his old job), and it's Ohio HS football. Sorry folks but thats a different level. I love KY HS football and feel it has made really great strides recently and will keep growing still, but Ironton has been a power who has truthfully stumbled in the championship games more than a little. They feel that they should have more championships [won't get into their opinions on how OHSAA (&officials) "seem" to be against Ironton:rolleyes:] and Yeagle could see this as a great coaching environment AND a place where he could still have a great challenge to meet. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this rumor. Woody Jr- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
Exactly :thumb: in making this change they may have wanted to keep the initial rotation rather "limited" to eliminate extreme possibilities this 1st year. I had predicted they removed #7/8 from the #1/2 draw but it could have been even more limited as you said. That would make the result VERY plausible, rather than the conspiracy some feel. Great work TBF Woody Jr- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
Amen brother TBF, Sing it loud, Sing it proud. :thumb: Be careful though. I feel the earths axis starting to tilt :scared: You know it does go right through a certain highway in Louisville Woody Jr- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
I was just looking at Sandmans list of the schools and how a 6 class setup would roughly look Of the Two Hundred and twelve ( 212 ) schools in the entire state of Kentucky - Manual is the sixth largest ( #6) That puts them in the top .03 percentile of biggest schools I believe. If you look at a "super" class of just the 16 teams - Manual is at just over the top 40% of that Mega group, size wise I believe. If a school the incredible size of Manual openly suggests that it is completely incapable of playing the big 3 for three consecutive weeks without possible loss of hope?, injuries?, decay of the program?, or having a reasonable chance to ever advance in the playoffs?, etc? ..... and this is indeed the fact, then perhaps we should do something to remove those teams from our midst, or make them have 2 teams, or handicap them in some way. (of course I'm being overboard T & X fans;) ) It's just hard to believe these big schools have such a defeatist attitude Woody Jr- What type of equipment does your team have?
As someone who just fooled with Middle school & youth leagues you have NO idea how important your help is to coaches. At one point I had 2 teams with 40 some players. The fact I had some dedicated dads AND moms who had been with me and learned what needed to be done - that made working with the kids much more efficient and productive Cheers, Woody Jr- Blume or Beach
Flip my man, You asked this question and opened us(ME) up to scorn from those who disagree:sssh: how about giving us "your" overview of it Thanks, Woody Jr- What type of equipment does your team have?
Wow, great synopsis of things for the curious Im guessing if there "were" a higher rate of rejects of say ..nonRiddell helmets, it goes back to that insurance/liability bugaboo and avoiding anything questionable where they could get hit with the big lawsuit? As I recall, even with diff brands/labels we had been down to basically 2 manufacturers of helmets due to liability issues. Perhaps they are marketing under different lables now to spread out insurance/liabilty costs/concerns? Anyway thanks for the info. New kids & parents should know this stuff going in. I really like the S/P transition for less experienced. Things like that help keep the new/younger ones safe & interested in sticking with it AND show that most coaches are concerned with their kids FIRST.:ylsuper: Bravo, take a bow :thumb: :thumb: Woody Jr- Will Manual ever win a playoff game again?
:thumb: :thumb: preach brother , preach Woody Jr- Playoff Round 4 - what happens?
Your point is valid but a #1 region for example would still rotate between 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , and 6 regions over a 5 yr period. Thats a pretty good variation don't you think? especially in light of our rather repetitive set up now. Yes, on paper it's not a pefectly balanced plan but without doing a specific study of "who" may or may not gain "something" from this I think it's seems reasonable. Woody Jr- Playoff Round 4 - what happens?
Wow, thank you again leatherneck When battling with the conspiracy theorists that is exactly what I said was the proper way they should have done it: pull the #'s 7/8 out when drawing #'s 1/2 to eliminate the travel problem. It still leaves us with a nice rotation with 5 other districts. So what if not a precise draw of all possible. Only selfish fans would look to see if it helps/benefits certain teams - it's just a nice version to try. Woody Jr- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
MY QUESTION TO YOU: So is it your argument basically that before a playoff bracket is setup, that the powers to be(KHSAA) examine the strength of teams and then make sure that those teams are not aligned in a way that some other team would have to play them several weeks in a row? That seems to be your argument as I see it - do I have it correct before I proceed? YOUR Response?: MY RESPONSE to Your Afirmative answer: Since you DO admit that you favor the KHSAA strategy of looking at teams strengths and THEN specifically making up the bracket so that NO other teams will have to play those predetermined powers several weeks in a row. We can stop right there - you're views are based on that premise. I disagree with your premise .... You can stop taking things so personal and making it personal. The above shows that I did not twist anything. We just have a different opinion of how one should set up the playoffs. You want the same consideration as the rest of the state. Well you arent the rest of the state; you are a 4A school sitting in the backyard of some power programs. Quit trying to run away from them and blame others for not wanting to come take care of the bully next door for you guys. P.S. big letters do not make your points better or right:p Woody Jr- Playoff money change coming?
Sorry missd the boat on that one. So is that 3 neutral sites to get to the finals now? Woody Jr- New football playoff format would pit Louisville schools...
It's nice you don't "feel the need to go that route" because no one would understand what in the world that has to do with our exchange of opinions. Since you DO admit that you favor the KHSAA strategy of looking at teams strengths and THEN specifically making up the bracket so that NO other teams will have to play those predetermined powers several weeks in a row. We can stop right there - you're views are based on that premise. I disagree with your premise and feel the KHSAA should NOT make up the playoff schedule based on who is good or not good enough. If Lou folks want to think I prefer having all Lou schools play each other first b/c they are within afew miles of each other and THEN play statewide schools because I dislike Lou then so be it. It's just my opinion that an arrangement like that is no more out of line than what we have had the last few years. As I said before just because some teams have had the luxury of a certain setup the last few years does NOT mean that is the standard from which everything flows. Just look at it in terms of you've been lucky to have the chance to win ONE playoff game (though I'm not sure how many times you've even done that?). When we go to the 5or6A next year? then maybe you can escape the big bad bullies in your backyard, but they "are" in your backyard - no one elses. Hey maybe you'll even get to be in their class "again" - that will be fun won't it:laugh: Woody Jr - Scott County's Rodney Haddix ineligible for senior season