Everything posted by WoodyJr
-
NCH celebrates without Mayo, Walker, Butler & Evans
Oak Hill & coach Smith may be the way to go at this point Woody Jr
-
State Title Location
Well lets just get everyone on the bandwagon and do it ! :banana: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
NCH celebrates without Mayo, Walker, Butler & Evans
Here is an interesting opinion article by Jeff Goodman on the Fox site that came out within the last 24 hours. It discusses a different #1 player in the 2007 class and has some questions about the "circus act of sorts" around Mayo. Check out why & who the other #1 could be: http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5539492 WoodyJr
-
State Title Location
Actually to add a little flavor to the debate of geographic center I would like to suggest its completely irrelevant! You're talking a compass, as-the-crow-flies point. We all know theres not one road in KY like that:D Personally, rather than debate which city it's in I would prefer a discussion of how they can make it more of an event and social gathering like the sweet 16:dancingpa As it is, a huge majority of fans are only present for their own teams game and then they're outta there! The "Freezing Our Fanny" (FOF) principle is obviously a huge factor in that, being as it's December.:scared: However, if KHSAA and some creative minds could/would start trying an approach like the NFL does for the Superbowl and the NCAA does for most of its various championships; basically come up with various themes, attractions, events, concerts, contests, & so forth to create an "EVENT" over just a couple days/nights, then I think you would see a dramatic increase in interest among everyone - including casual fans without a rooting interest. Besides, the KHSAA could maybe make more $$$$ as well Otherwise, I wouldnt mind if they split up the games and played 2 at Commonwealth and 2 at the pizza box (Sat & Sun). Or even 1 each at E.Ky, W.KY, Lex & Lou (Fri, Sat am, Sat pm, Sun). Ohio splits their games up at various sites all over the state (or they used to) Creative Cheers, Woody Jr
-
NCH celebrates without Mayo, Walker, Butler & Evans
150 people turned out to celebrate North College Hill's Division III state title-winning basketball team Tuesday night according to Tom Groeschen and Dustin Dow / Enquirer Staff Writers. They also "claim" that Walker stated OJ was suspended only 10 days for a fight. I cannot confirm whether these reporters are telling the truth - I am just noting this published article for BGP'ers who may miss it :thumb: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060426/SPT0301/604260377/1078 Woody Jr
-
School Letter Tournament - Paducah Tilghman vs. Newport Central Catholic
It's all good Thanks :thumb: :thumb: :D
-
School Letter Tournament - Paducah Tilghman vs. Newport Central Catholic
Oh but mighty Scribe, Have you forgotton about my lowly little Tomcats already?:cry: Woody Jr
-
O.J. Mayo suspended!
It said with the "mayor" or is he the governor ? Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Preseason Mr. Football
I think folks have a LOT of different opinions on what "being recruiting" means. Schools request miles of film, send tons of forms, literature, etc. to kids, and "talk" a LOT to everyone, sometimes even saying they would like to have that person play for their team.......... None of that means that an offer will ever be extended ! I don't mean to throw cold water on anyones hopes and certainly don't intend to put down any players ability or performance, but I've seen so many kids and parents get disillusioned by this process. You can call it either being lied to, mislead, misreading the signs, or being overly optimistic.:cry: I just hope more players and families are informed and educated on the process so everyone has a more realistic view of whats happening - that way they are better able to pursue a viable option for the student-(hopefully)athlete :thumb: Perhaps those who have been recruited or involved in the process could start a thread to provide info to newbies?:thumb: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
The latest football class rumor is...
I just love all these hard workers on BGP Thanx Coach J Just from my sketchy knowledge that top class looks pretty fair to the schools. I think the real power grouping is at the top end of 3A: Highlands Lawrence Co. Pendleton Co. Western Hills Rockcastle Co. W. Jessamine Bourbon Co. Fairdale Boyle Co. Bell Co. Warren East Knox Central Bullitt East Lex Cath McCreary Central (enrollment: 869.5) Sorry if I didnt highlight all the power teams (no slights intended) I think this is the spot that will cause the most complaining, consternation, or create the most questions regarding options to play up (if that is allowed). I can just envision these guys having to submit a blind envelop stating whether they want to play up or not:D Lots of variables here :confused: That 2A group looks like the most interesting 'new" mix of teams. Thanx again, Woody Jr
-
Rose Hill's Sarah Yates accepts Athletic Scholarship to Asbury College
Real nice article on Sarah Yates :thumb: http://www.dailyindependent.com/articles/2006/04/25/sports/2yates25.txt Cheers, Woody Jr
-
O.J. Mayo suspended!
That might be a little awkward, huh ? :creepy: Woody Jr
-
School Letter Tournament - Ashland vs. Elizabethtown
Be alert old wise one. I'm sure we're gonna need you and all your friends in this next round against those birdies :thumb: Take care, Woody Jr
-
What is going on at CovCath?
I hope your not talking about the coach of that team up north We love how he does against the "Tressell Vest" :banana: Please don't say bad things and get him fired. Stay Lloyd, Stay :jump: :jump: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
The latest football class rumor is...
You're right Obviously I didnt go into the math field Woody Jr
-
The latest football class rumor is...
I was under the impression that Highlands was already on the lower end of AAA # wise, so increasing the # of classes would likely drop them to AA I believe. Woody Jr
-
O.J. Mayo suspended!
I find it rather ironic that this thread is in the College Sports section Woody Jr
-
What is going on at CovCath?
Anything us Tomcats can do to provide support :thumb: Woody Jr
-
What is going on at CovCath?
I'm not near the situation but would coach Ray step back in for 1 year? Woody Jr
-
Preseason Mr. Football
He won Baseball
-
Crutcher to Morehead State
What about the books? :confused: Woody Jr
-
Should High School replace their goalpost?
I really liked Warrior1's idea but I think you are spot on - just too flexible. I can envision a freezing cold Thanksgiving weekend playoff game. It comes down to a last second kick to decide a trip to Louisville. The kick is up, ......it has the distance, ......... and, ........ it hits the goalpost, .......and, ........the goalpost snaps in half !!:eek: Both coaches & teams are out on the field yelling at the refs' who are huddled in a corner of the endzone trying to figure out what to do:confused: Nah, maybe the PVC wasn't such a good idea afterall Good try though:cool: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Top 5 in 3A
My understanding is that the referees association(or commissioner?) assigns the referees for all games [at least in the Ashland area they do]. I think? that coaches may have a "blackball" or two they can announce before the season if there is a ref or 2 they prefer not to have in their games. That should be the extent of a coach or schools ability to determine who wears the striped shirt IMO. Although we "did" have a visiting coach lodge a complaint about assigned officials in the past and demanded they be changed - coincidently that coach ended up announcing that those refs call cost him the game .... ah the irony of it all Perhaps it's karma that those who obsess and unecessarilly complain the most about these petty type things are the ones who end up playing on wet, muddy fields, ref's they don't like, etc. ??? Sidenote: you are welcome to ride with us to Ironton, OH every other year where they choose who they want to referee each game. Thats a real comforting situation. I'm NOT questioning Ironton's ability - they always have great teams & I enjoy watching them play, even if we are on the other side of the scoreboard As far as football fields, I know Ashland has a small group of VERY dedicated individuals who invest a LOT, I mean a LOT of their own time into taking care of the Doug Childers Field @ historic Putnam Stadium. It's traditionally one of the nicest, well kept fields around. (there was even a post elsewhere by a No. KY player who listed it as one of his favorite fields to play on). These caretakers obsess over the fields condition all year round and yet don't begrudge our numerous JFL teams playing EVERY game on it, plus 7th grade, 8th grade, freshmen games AND the varsity games. And when the playoffs arrive, they are right out there painting the maroon & white checkerboard & big A in the center of the field. We enjoy & take pride in a nice field but some seasons the combinations of weather and all that traffic can do a lot of damage to God's green carpet. I'm pretty sure other schools have devoted fans who do their best with the field they've been given too:thumb: If a team loses a game because of field conditions then they just weren't a good enough team - end of story. Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Top 5 in 3A
Thats OK I just got a chuckle over how detailed this "debate" has gotten. Figured I would try & bring some humor to the thread. We've had some of the same type logic, or lack thereof, presented by our opponents in the past [NO particular school, coach, administrator, mascot, or school custodian is being insinuated in this posting. I don't want anyone assuming that I talking about them - Please, I'm simply responding to ubc14] P.S., ukbell14 has just been named as the winner of the Most Thoroughly Researched Comeback in a Defensive Mode (MTRCDM) as a BGP'er for his response to DaBirdman's initial post which by now everyone probably knows was the winner of the MTRGETD (Most Thoroughly Researched Gauntlet Ever Thrown Down) in a single post in a leading role by a BGP'er. The utterly unillustrious committee of BGPMania has officially declared a draw for the title between the Mountain region and No. KY region in the Most Throroughly Researched Posting Division (MTRPD). There will be a rematch at a date to be determined probably sometime around Thanksgiving '07 unless a team from Northeastern KY can prevail in a Preliminary PostOff the week before Hope everyone has a nice day. I can't make it so hope everyone gets out to support the Cats at the Blue-White game and in baseball against So. Carolina today & tomorrow. :thumb: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Top 5 in 3A
Wow I don't have a dog in this one but that is one intense comeback. You may just have won the award for most thoroughly research gauntlet ever thrown down in a single post in a leading role by a BGP'er Either that or the entire mountain region may have to cry uncle in this edition of BGPMania due to the amazing submission hold you have put on them. Totally awesome:thumb: - a thing of beauty :D Cheers, Woody Jr