Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WoodyJr

Suspended
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by WoodyJr

  1. We are so far apart geographically. I dont even know what class you're in. Our last real good run was winning the 3A title in 1990 (13-1, I think it was) Since then we've been stuck at: Bell, B'Birds, Cov Cath, Mason(Lofton et al), and Rock - all tough. I think our new coach is going to get us back on the road to Louisville though. :thumb: Cheers, Woody Jr P.S. I loved the Clooney "ol timey" line
  2. well... I'd just be guessing, but I wouldnt be surprised if you were correct. I was trying to guestimate but I'm not sure about their ages due to the impact of the war. We're going to have to get some "long-timers" on here to help us - notice i didnt say old timers Woody Jr Is that Estep Greg's papaw or someone else? I get a kick outta that Mgr Jackson - he looks like a real ladies man !
  3. and folks, ... thats Greasy Neal of NFL Hall of Fame "fame"
  4. Wow, this is a classic old time matchup of schools with great tradition.:thumb: Was our last face off in football maybe 1967-68? Go Cats Cheers, Woody Jr
  5. OK guys, I'm fine with taking another look at anything I post. :thumb: I do APOLOGIZE to 3Wishes for posting something that could be taken in anyway as hostile. :sssh: Perhaps I was bored late at night and had been watching the never ending banter between other folks on here:p . There seems to be a very gray area (a large one at that) between friendly banter and "presumed" hostility and moderators seem to have vastly differing styles and timing for entering in others exchanges - sometimes this seems to be effected by their opinion or involvement in the persons or issues being discussed. 3 wishes posed a very good question for a thread. Watusi noted the remarks(many childish) last year over the Ashland-JC game. I agree, thats why it annoyed me that 3 wishes chose to not just to bring the issue up, but to INSINUATE JC would have gotten the win IF taller goalposts were in place. I felt that was an unnecessary addition to a good original question. Looking at my post now and considering the number of nice posts by 3Wishes in the past I realize my poor attempt at sarcastic humor did not reflect well. I just thought it was rather silly to think nets have anything to do with calling a kick and showed a lack of understanding about the whole process. My post reflected the way I was thinking at the time, not my opinion of 3Wishes. Nets are for keeping the ball from going in the stands (saving $) and the other poster who is a referee made a nice post explaining the process(thank you). I felt that 3Wishes comment that the nets "...would leave no doubt for all to see and witness" suggested that what the fans, coaches, MEDIA, etc witnessed was of some importance. It is NOT - thats why we have so much childish stuff on here (and at games) because too many people havent learned to respect an officials call and their role in the process. I've always stressed to the kids I've worked with, as well as their parents!, that you have to be good enough not to have to rely on ONE call by an official and that what they call is the way it is. This is called learning to respect the game - not to mention other people!!! HATZ put it fairly when he said "Not sure about the hostility/sarcasm ....in your post. WATUSI was a little more blunt:p telling me to "..lose the attitude" and then telling us why 3Wishes posted as he did. Watusi is also SURE that JC AND Ashland were embarrassed by some fans actions so Ashland would have wanted to pay $10G for the goalposts. HATZ's thoughtfully worded post that was directed to MY WORDS gave me no hesitation in taking a look back and posting an apology for my possibly too strongly worded post to 3Wishes. Watusi's more personal, authoritative, demanding style of post to me along with his mindreading statements makes me want to post more of my original:sssh: I'll just say that Ashland has nothing to be embarrassed about and we don't care if other schools want to keep arguing about a referees call - whether thats childish or not is in the eye of the beholder;) To the original thread's question: Due to costs I believe the best you can do is have KHSAA request/require that any new goalposts erected be the taller version. Cheers, Woody Jr P.S., I'm not "embroiled" in anything - I just have a hard time not teasing certain fans b/c they are so easy to get a response from.
  6. could I do this :scared: This youngster did it in a few short months:cool: What an incredible story of determination. CONGRATULATIONS Mr. Oliver - you have my total respect :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/14396280.htm BIG Cheers, Woody Jr
  7. Well, we certainly have experience dealing with individuals around us with tiny little brains who tend to spin their wheels a lot - uh, so to speak Cheers, Woody Jr
  8. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You're statement that nets behind the goal posts would solidy the fact that a kick was good "to the ref" shows a complete and utter zero understanding of how referees call kicks. Just to help you with your interest in football; referees do NOT look back behind the goalposts to see where the football went ........excuse me, while I stop laughing at that one :laugh: :laugh: The goal posts could have been 200 hundred feet high and JC would still be riding their school bus back to Johnson County crying about something. Poor JC, Boo hoo hoo ..............:cry: :cry: :cry: Cheers, Woody Jr
  9. Great points LN, Thats why I've always loved a diversified approach. I'm sure all coaches would like to have enough talent to do everything well but Ive seen quite a few that have one "style" or approach year after year. HS is not like college or pros where you go out and pick players for your style of play. The truely great coaches adapt their style to their players. We've all seen those great coaches :thumb: Cheers, Woody Jr
  10. Thats why the year round AAU stuff drives me crazy :creepy: We are turning teenagers into minature pro athletes and I'm guessing 99% of them are not getting much future gain from it. Using Lebron James, O J Mayo, etc as examples is just plain silly. In the past you could find pro athletes who were more-or-less HS stars in one sport yet developed into pros in another sport b/c they were playing multiple sports - NOT focusing on refining 1 sport specific skill set. We've got 12-13-14 year olds dropping everything to basically focus on 1 sport when their bodies aren't even developed then. How do they, or MORE importantly their parent(s) know what these kids are going to develop into? Parents need to quit listening to these "coaches" who tell them how good their kid is and what he/she can become if they focus on that sport - and usually with that coaches team:rolleyes: This opinion will probably elicit lots of opposing comments by the other side but so be it :thumb: Cheers, Woody Jr
  11. So many folks just need to look for an excuse. Ashland's team last year was extremely speed based at most positions. A late season game was played where it rained during the day the another storm hit just as the game started. The other coach questioned if we had watered the field down ahead of time. What a joke :laugh: We have played several playoff games in the mud at Cov Cath & didn't use that as an excuse for getting thumped. Woody Jr
  12. Congratulations to Ashland's Corie Rakes on starting a new Tomcat Tradition: http://www.dailyindependent.com/content/current/front/sports.pdf I'm not real knowledgable on this computer stuff, so just in case the above pdf link with nice picture:thumb: does not come through, here is the regular link to the plain article: http://www.dailyindependent.com/articles/2006/04/18/sports/1rakes18.txt Big Cheers, Woody Jr
  13. Hey the catholic boys get nothing but respect from us in Ashland. We lost to St X back in those days when we were at-large champs. I'm sure the Blue Tornado remember our visit to Paducah the week before. I'm for lining up & playing ball. I just like good football, my team, your team, just so it's not that darn team up north:fight: Cheers, Woody Jr .....yes, still hating those new OSU jerseys :cry:
  14. Whew, I'm just glad there are some votes.:thumb: I was afraid Trinity was so darn intimidating that no one wanted to win this one just to then get demolished by the rocks Woody Jr
  15. I figured the Louisville teams would prefer playing earlier in the playoffs. That way they can get it over with and just face some piddling school from out in the state that simply isnt commited to having the best football program, has coaches who just aren't as smart or hard working, as well as players who aren't as dedicated or willing to give what it takes to win. :bunny: Then the finals can simply serve as a fun coronation where the Louisville team can let their subs and freshmen play in a title game while the varsity signs autographs and gives interviews on the sidelines. :sleep: I do have this correct don't I? Cheers, Woody Jr ....everyone understands this is just a little parody, right
  16. Lots of good stuff from others. I think lots of books and/or videos can help you in visualizing what you want to get across. Plus, everyone uses somewhat different language to describe similar points and the more you research & study it, the more you will soak up - the AhHa moment! Remember KISS with kids! Focus on the basics and don't complicate it for you & them both. One point I think is important is whether the player has a parent or adult working with them or influencing them. You need to be on the same page so try to co-op the parent or educate them if need be. That way the player is getting good reinforcement from all involved. In my experience the taller, gangly, less coordinated kids will have a harder time getting their mechanics down so be patient and encouraging. I'm big on not having little ones/weaker arms have to change their motion or mechanics to "get the ball there" - it just creates bad habits that must be changed. If they want to start practicing pitching mechanics I move a plate up to a distance where they can get it over "with" good pitching form. Some stress a windup and others begin with a stretch position(even though there is no leading off in LL). From the stretch they can just pick their knee up and stride to the plate. Windup can feel overwhelming for them at first but it just takes time. :sssh: As noted, balance is important. I have them pick up their knee so that its pointed at 3rd base (for right handers) and their shoulders are lined up pointing at the target (catchers mitt). Let them practice just picking the knee up & turning their shoulder - see if they can stop & balance at that point! Talk about drawing a line through their shoulders to the mitt and the striding out just to the left of that line. This allows the hips to open up and the arm/shoulder to come through. [you can have the player stand directly behind you as you demonstrate how the hips lock up IF you stride to the right of that imaginary line. If you stride too far to the left of the imaginary line it can open up the hips too quick and drag the shoulder/arm through. You can also show them they have a better chance of throwing strikes if they keep everything on a straight line to the plate with just up/down variance INSTEAD of dropping down to 3/4 or sidearm where you have to "catch the strikezone" sideways as the ball is on a more parallel plane] Lastly (for now) I stress keeping the elbow as high as the shoulder with the hand (ideally) more or less straight up forming an "L' shape. Everyone is different and has a "natural" throwing slot so don't freak out if some are lower than others. I do STRESS that when the elbow drops down BELOW the shoulder then the stress is being placed on the elbow. Neither joint is designed to throw a baseball, but the shoulder is the stronger part of the body, so keep the elbow up IMO. The first thing you'll usually notice when a pitcher gets tired is he starts dropping that elbow when he throws. Sorry if I duplicated others or confused you in any way. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Cheers, Woody Jr
  17. I figured the Louisville teams would prefer playing earlier in the playoffs. That way they can get it over with and just face some piddling school from out in the state that simply isnt commited to having the best football program, has coaches who just aren't as smart or hard working, as well as players who aren't as dedicated or willing to give what it takes to win. :bunny: Then the finals can simply serve as a fun coronation where the Louisville team can let their subs and freshmen play in a title game while the varsity signs autographs and gives interviews on the sidelines.:sleep: I do have this correct don't I? :confused: Cheers, Woody Jr ....everyone understands this is just a little parody, right
  18. I'm going back to my 1st post here questioning the source and validity of Mr. Fields' statement. No one was quoted or cited as a source in that article so I wondered whether this was Mike's "opinion" or maybe one unnamed source? Here's a snipet from the Friday CJ on the same subject: In other business, Cope said, the board: Discussed expanding the football playoffs from four classes to five or six and asked staff members to draw up possible alignments for examination at the May board meeting My point is that CJ, THE Louisville paper, had a quote from Cope yet made ZERO reference to the Louisville schools impact on "possible alignments." I just question the anxiety over this until we see what comes out in May.:sleep: To the issue itself; No matter how many teams Louisville has it just seems odd to split schools as close geographically into different "regions?" Super tough districts & regions have always existed in basketball - so what? You don't apportion by level of play - this isn't court mandated gerrymandering for equal rights is it? Woody Jr
  19. CDS, Come on, spit it out , do you have a team or are you just a habitual hater? It seems that for you winning at least 1 game every year in the playoffs means a team is not competitive - is that a correct read of your opinion? (If 2 of those 7 victories were over losing records, that probably means Ashland was competitive enough to earn the higher seed - right?) Are you saying that losing to Rock last year was a disgrace? Do you think Rock is not competitive b/c they lost to LexCath? Are you saying that losing to Bell Co the year before that is a sign of a uncompetitive team? Are you saying that losing to Mason Co before that is a sign of an uncompetitive program? How about Hoptown. Are you saying they are not competitive also? They have a pretty strong program if you ask most folks. Bowling Green hasnt had a lot of luck winning championships. Are they not competitive enough for you? Those are all good, competitive programs. Where do YOU draw the line? Just give us something to go on here so we can gauge the seriousness of your argument Woody Jr
  20. CdS, Since I'm dealing with someone who apparently has the working memory of a 5yr old, I guess we'll just have to try & go further in the playoffs from now on to conform to your opinion of what competitive is. You did fail to qualify what you consider competitive; perhaps it's ONLY the teams that win the final game? or perhaps it happens to be a school you support that just happens to have advanced further in the last 5 years? You can go ahead and reveal the truth - it won't hurt:p Woody Jr
  21. @ Raceland There is a brief rundown on girls & boys game in Ashland paper: http://www.dailyindependent.com/articles/2006/04/16/sports/3all-stars16.txt Woody Jr
  22. Dear CdS, Ashland has been rather competitive playoff wise. Perhaps you could share with us which team/fan(s) have a perverted view of good programs? Cheers, Woody Jr
  23. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :sleep: :sleep: Hey Mac, You guys are so much fun. ...it's too easy Cheers, Woody Jr
  24. Come on now. We're just reminiscing about a few of the incredibly hard fought playoff games in our long histories. Thats how it works when 2 programs respect each other [these were gut wrenching season ending games that could have turned on any one play, mistake, OR officials call] and you don't see either one of us crying, whining or complaining about getting cheated, do you? Unfortunately everyone isnt like that Cheers, Woody Jr
  25. OK, I'm just curious whether its really serious or something just thrown out there. Woody Jr

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.