Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NEVER in my lifetime > > >

Featured Replies

Ok, I could learn to catch right-handed pretty easily. But throw left-handed??? The people in the stands may want to keep their eyes open.

Ok, I could learn to catch right-handed pretty easily. But throw left-handed??? The people in the stands may want to keep their eyes open.

 

Very true. Also, I'm sure my mechanics would be so bad that I'd end up hurting my left elbow just as bad. Quite impressive young man.

Great example of perseverance and a lot of admiration to this young man.

I watched a college baseball game on tv about 2 weeks ago, where they brought in a relief pitcher and he pitched with either hand.

 

Right to rh batters and left to lh batters, he used the same glove. It appeared to have a place for the index fingers. This was a D-1 game and he did very well....I can't remember the school or the pitcher but I want to think he was with a West Coast school, perhaps San Diego.

I watched a college baseball game on tv about 2 weeks ago, where they brought in a relief pitcher and he pitched with either hand.

 

Right to rh batters and left to lh batters, he used the same glove. It appeared to have a place for the index fingers. This was a D-1 game and he did very well....I can't remember the school or the pitcher but I want to think he was with a West Coast school, perhaps San Diego.

Wasn't it Mike Flanagan who did that in the majors, when he was on those good Baltimore staffs of the late '70s/early '80s?

Flanagan never did it, but Greg Harris (a reliever with several teams in the 80s) talked about doing it during his career. He even had a special glove made to fit either hand. I don't think he ever had a pitching coach and manager that would allow him to do it in a game.

This kid has got all my respect, just incredible :thumb: What a story of dedication and perserverance. :dancingpa

That's a great story. I would think he just increased in recruit value. Not just by being left handed, but from the determination and desire he has shown.

Flanagan never did it, but Greg Harris (a reliever with several teams in the 80s) talked about doing it during his career. He even had a special glove made to fit either hand. I don't think he ever had a pitching coach and manager that would allow him to do it in a game.

 

Harris did it once - against the Reds:

 

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=mlb_20000303_holtzman_cols&team_id=mlb

Have watched his progression and am amazed everyday. Determination and belief in oneself are keys to any athlete. I am very proud of what Tyler has accomplished.

I watched a college baseball game on tv about 2 weeks ago, where they brought in a relief pitcher and he pitched with either hand.

 

Right to rh batters and left to lh batters, he used the same glove. It appeared to have a place for the index fingers. This was a D-1 game and he did very well....I can't remember the school or the pitcher but I want to think he was with a West Coast school, perhaps San Diego.

 

Bobby Detzel of Highlands used to pull this same feat off back in early 70's...I believe his catcher was Dale "Smiley" Mueller.

A friend of my brother's could throw with either hand. He preferred to throw with his right, but he could do it with his left also. He was not very good with either hand, though. ;)

 

I think I could switch hands, had I worked on it from a young age.

 

Dennys Reyes (former Red) switched from right handed to left-handed when he was something like 11 years old. He is Venezuelan and idolized Fernando Venezuela. He said he spoke with the agent who signed Fernando and asked him when he would be back to sign him (Dennys). The agent said whenever you turn left-handed.

 

Reyes hasn't thrown with his right hand since...(at least that's how the story goes).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.