Everything posted by WoodyJr
-
Who should be the New Boyd County Coach?
Yeah and Love is one I don't think we would want to get away from us either :thumb: Woody Jr
-
Mercer / Harrodsburg Consolidation
Mike, Everyone here knows it's a football board. I simply pointed out that you chose to state on here that you don't care about academics. That's OK - some people don't care about those things and as you have made plain many times, there are many things you don't care about. I won't try to complicate things for you further.:confused: I was curious why there might be so much excitment about the consolidation by sportsfans there so I went to the KHSAA site. They only show the playoff brackets back through 1995 but I checked for Mercers record. Is it true that last year you achieved your FIRST playoff victory? (at least since 95). I can see being excited about gaining the great sports history of Harrodsburg but how do you go from winning 1 playoff game to thinking that you'll have a chance to win the entire state? Maybe next year when your new team is up with my team in the division where they wont have an advantage that others don't, we'll see if your rah rah HS cockiness has worn off yet Woody Jr
-
Mercer / Harrodsburg Consolidation
Mike, Wow what is the problem here? My very 1st sentence should have clarified things for anyone who read it. I was simply making an observation - theres no need to take it as an attack. You have made many, many posts on this matter which are presented as basically factual and you have repeatedly been rather dismissive and/or sarcastic of others comments at times IMO. You have plainly presented yourself as a big fan of Mercer so to now make a special point that you don't live or work in Mercer gives an appearance of playing both sides of the discussion. You can admit to being a big fan - its OK :thumb: I think unbiased others reading the thrad could reasonably ask about the possibility of "taking advantage of the numbers for a year". It's not hating Mercer - I dont know or care about Mercer, it's just a question about the scenario presented on here. Also, you did state you didnt care about the academics - that was one of my main points. Woody Jr
-
Mercer / Harrodsburg Consolidation
I've caually followed this thread and glanced back at some of your posts to try & get the proper background on your statement - but forgive me if I missed something or misread anything. It sounds like you are saying that the administration did this on the schedule they did specifically with the intent of avoiding a reclassification at the time of consolidation and basically to gain the benefit of the extra numbers in athletic competitions for a year (or until reclassification is due?). Theres nothing wrong with folks being excited about a consolidation - it certainly beats the alternative we have occasionally seen:creepy:, but a rather strong indifference to the academic component of this process in favor of how it can be maximized athletically doesnt put everyone in a very good light IMO. If the choiced is to keep students apart academically and unite the athletic teams a year early to gain an advantage before reclassification, that "seems" to give everyone a particular impression - and not a good one. I'm guessing that other 2A schools will not hold you guys in high esteem ??? Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. Making Cuts During Last JV Game
Just joshing around
-
Boyd Co. Making Cuts During Last JV Game
Nicely put:thumb: but I think I'll refer to you as : he B Crules Woody Jr
-
Raceland 3 Boyd County 1
As I was saying OldRambler, the first guy I'd take is that big tall guy in the dugout Woody Jr
-
Who should be the New Boyd County Coach?
Yeah his DB's at Ashland were usually toasted "extra dark" when he was there:D Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. Making Cuts During Last JV Game
I'm not a BC personn but have heard this exact thing for years from many different adults in the BC system. I've always wondered whether coaches that do this just can't face cutting a senior at tryouts of his last year or if they are so enamored with "choosing" and cultivating the next great superstar so as to build up their coaching resume. Everyone has to face being told they aren't good enough at some point but as others noted, kids can develop physically AND emotionally in a short period of time at this stage. How many of us know someone who was out of HS before they developed physically etc? IMO since it's the end of JV season it is not the JV coaches right to do this. It concerns the "next" season so it's the head coach's call - he should allow the Sr. to work towards his last season and see if he can make the varsity or go to him and tell him personally face to face Woody Jr
-
Who should be the New Boyd County Coach?
Wow that is an incredible change from when I first started coaching JFL in Ashland. That is a very bad indicator Woody Jr
-
Ashland Weight Lifting
I'm confident that our Cats are getting stronger. From the great weight room and equipment that supporters provided to the excellent strength coaching and supervision by Tomcat coaches combined with the players dedication - we'll be improved this next season. I have a related question ......... We see so many discussions of the combines that seemingly have sprouted up so much. Also, every level of recruiting from the NFL down seems to be putting more and more significance on those "measurables". Primarily we see bench repetitions(185 for HS?), shuttle time, 40 time, standing jump? and what else??? Anyway, can someone tell me what speed & agility components we incorporate daily/weekly? Do we maxout similarly with "tests" or something? Also whether we make the standard combine drills a part of our regular workouts? - especially since that seems to be something that recruiters, scouts, coaches, bloggers, BGP'ers, etc use for comparison to every other athlete competing on the same level.? How bout it??? Anyone ?? Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
Yeah, keep it sealed up in ziplock bags ,etc. Sweeney talked me into bringing it over to his memorabilia shrine one time and I made him agree to give me everything he owned in exchange if anything happened to it. I'll definitely let you read it sometime. It is a true classic. It's called 'Hotline to Victory" and was sold as a book I guess but it's like 8.5 x 11" or bigger size pages with the wide plastic spiral rings (like for office manuals). He diagrams all his plays against various defenses, defensive alingments, drills, even taping ankles, etc. Got it when I was like 12yo. People wonder why I got into coaching huh? early brainwashing will do that. Keep em cool in Oldham, Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
STOP STOP !!! You guys are killing me. :banana: :banana: :banana: Rex Kern, Jim Stillwagon, Jack Tatum, .....:jump: :cool: I won't be able to sleep for days !!! aaaarrgggghh Woooooooooodddddddy JR
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
Ahhh yes, my little chickadee You're not going to believe this my dear Franny but I just purchased a new black "Block O" Woody hat on Ebay TODAY! - looking forward to the upcoming season:thumb: My old one is almost grey in color now - purchased it at Longs Bookstore on High street more years ago than I can count. Thinking about getting a glass case to display it for all the little grasshoppers I even saved my pair of old black spotbilt coaching coaching shoes with the long tongue that folds over - kids today would crack up if they saw those! :laugh: The black shoes, white socks, with rolled up pants is THE reason I tune in whenever Penn St. is on - Joe Pa still carries on the tradition [albeit with those darn NIKE swooshes - Woodrow would magic markeer those babies:D ] & surely everyone knows where Lutz got that offense - strictly "I' formation with the "Robust T" formation to beat you into submition. Remind me to show you Woody's playbook published after the 69 Nat Champ season - with autograph to Jr.:thumb: I've got to stop. I'm shakkking soooo haardddd ii ccccan't tttyppppe Cheers, Woody JUNIOR
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
Frances, you know these young 'ens don't have history classes any more ;) Woody Jr
-
2006-2007 Ashland b-ball schedule released
Hoping a lot of fans will cheer just being happy to see them play ???? Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
I dont mind my team winning but I hate it for the kids - whatever uniform they wear:cry: Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
Isn't Damron an East Carter boy? Bill Tom was at Ashland, but is he originally from Catlettsburg? Perhaps I should have said: far, FAR away Actually, as a Tomcat fan - just keep doing what you've been doing for the last several decades Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
Perhaps Boyd needs to get someone from NOT around this area ...for a change WoodyJr
-
Ironton, OH Coach resigns after 34 years...
I see a Mini-Series or at least a Movie of the Week As passionate as people are about Ironton football this could be wild :scared: Woody Jr
-
Bill Walker: Rose Hill Days
I believe he was a para? Im sure someone more knowledgable on it can say
-
Bill Walker: Rose Hill Days
Odd that someone would behave that way, or what ?
-
Bill Walker: Rose Hill Days
I love how some people now question these kids "handlers" and talk about how terrible it is that they were used, yadda, yadda - especially when those same people were benefiting personally and knew exactly what was going on and why the kids were there from day 1 ! from Ashland's Daily Independent: http://www.dailyindependent.com/localsports/local_story_133003404.html?keyword=topstory Woody Jr
-
Boyd Co. coach Dane Damron resigns
Has he been a head coach somewhere?
-
Pendleton County Coach Quits
Must be great then :thumb: Woody Jr