Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ACE

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ACE

  1. Raceland was clearly the better team on this evening. Ratliff and Coburn kept this one from being a real blowout. Their elusiveness was quite amazing. If Ashland can't figure a way to better their line play they will struggle all season. Congrats on a solid win for the Rams.
  2. If Brown is in the Ashland lineup, Ashland just might be a team to be reckoned with. He can be a 1500 yard rusher type of player.
  3. Is Mike Flynn still the Highlands coach?
  4. From an Ashland fans perspective....Raceland may have very well been the best team on the field. Messer was the best all around player in the game. If he hadn't cramped up, I think the Rams win. The Rams played with a lot of heart for sure. I think most everyone, including myself, thought this one was over with Ashland up 41-20. Very impressive for a team to dig deep on the road and push Ashland to the brink. Good job Rams!
  5. Agree with everything you said, if Baker gets loose Ashland wins, if not, anybody's game. Glad Raceland is now the Ashland home opener:)
  6. Not kidding at all. These are 17 year old kids, they ate very adaptable. Wouldn't that have been better than not playing at all? My guess is the kids would have wanted to play.
  7. There are several obvious reasons Ashland wanted to play this game. Money is number one, I am sure. This game was expected to be a sell out and would have meant somewhere in the neighborhood of $15k to $20k to the school(my guess completely). The reopening of the new stadium happens only once every 75 years or so, this it was very important to the community and a much anticipated event. Many, many people had come in from out of town for the event. The "significant" donor to which you may be referring is probably John Koskinen, the Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service. Mr Koskinen, is an Ashland graduate and had made a special trip to Ashland from DC to be here for the weekend. It's very unfortunate for everyone that the game couldn't be played. I personally feel NCC should have made the trip back for Saturday. I can't imagine that having much of a negative effect on the play of 16-18 years. Seems like there was a lot of upside to attempt to play Saturday and no true downside.
  8. Historically speaking, AHS has been the dominate Eastern Ky school, historically that is. With Ashland's city population dwindling(over a 20-30 year period) they will never be the power they were. IMO, Johnson Central has been the top program over a 10 year period. I would say that beating AHS by any team east of Winchester would be considered a real major victory and especially so for the more local teams. AHS is solid but not spectacular and will likely never compete again with the strong NKY teams. Football is primarily a numbers game and AHS doesn't have the numbers anymore.
  9. Obviously, that's a near impossible question to answer. At the same time, when is the last time Ashland had a critical call go in their favor with the game in the balance? Who knows when?-- i sure don't. As someone previously mentioned, apparently officials are assigned at AHS games(I thought about that, but wasn't sure so I didn't go there). I think the bottom line is most non Ashland fans have a strong dislike for AHS(and i fully understand those reasons, but won't elaborate here) and strong desire for AHS to lose anytime. Therefore, they usually don't look at officiating objectively. Most fans see bad calls that go against them, not the ones that go in their favor.
  10. All points well taken....I have always set on the visitors side at Putnam(why? because that's where my dad liked to sit in the 60's, the seats are perfect, I go to watch football only and not for social purposes). Over the many years I have observed a lot. Many teams come into Putnam not expecting to win and sit quietly to support their team. Many teams come into Putnam extremely emotional and hoping/expecting to win--these fans can border on the absurd/insane, cursing EVERY possible call. From the first flag(good or bad) it's "here we go, it's Putnam!" It's quite fascinating to watch. I simply chalk it up to mostly emotional, irrational parents and the die hards.
  11. I respect your position to disagree. Are the "bad officials" out there? Absolutely.....and I have never watched any sporting event that there weren't atrocious calls. Happens everywhere, every game all the time. I just think painting officials as favoring a certain team with a broad brush is a bit of a reach. I have found that most fans are overly emotional and see the event with "colored glasses"
  12. OK, I begin with I am an Ashland fan, always have been and always will be. But I truly think of myself as a fan of football(and bball and....). I simply go to watch and rarely get exited and emotional. I enjoy watching young high school athletes playing competition for the love of the game. I catch other games occasionally at Russell, etc. I even play to catch Pinecrest High School in Pinehurst, NC on an upcoming golf trip. Call me naive maybe, but I really don't think officials, as a general rule, "intentionally" miss calls to the detriment of another team. I truly don't believe any happens at Putnam Stadium any different than any other high school field across the country.
  13. Early season games are hard to predict and I know nothing about NCC. What I believe is that Baker should be primed for a monster year and one would expect him to run for 150 to 225 yards in this one which should translate into 28+ points for AHS. NCC will have to score a lot to have a chance to win this game. Ashland 35-21. It will be a fun opener.
  14. I stopped by the stadium this morning to get a look and although there will things we wish were different, I find it to have a very classy look and believe all will be very pleased with the final result. The complete horseshoe look is awesome for a high school venue. PS--great pictures!
  15. Ashland's Jeff Tipton(6' 11")ad a very nice career at Morehead. Louisville Central have a very good 6' 11' player who played at UL, i believe. Also, Felton S pencer.
  16. ...on Ashland's Ross Thompson and Stephen Friley(I apologize if this has already been mentioned). These are two tremendous young men. Excellent athletes in all respects, but even better young men away from sports. It's great to see young people who do the right thing in all aspects of their lives athletically, academically and personally.
  17. Winners never quit and quitters never win....you should ALWAYS stick it out.
  18. This game shocked me. Ashland handled Ironton fairly easily last year by a score of 26-12, I believe and it didn't seem that close. Ashland appears to be an improved team this year. Ironton struggles a bit with Russell and Ashland destroys Russell. By all indications Ashland appeared to be a favorite entering this game. Ironton was clearly better prepared physically and mentally for this game and really wanted it more than Ashland. It is never an embarrassment to lose to Ironton but I NEVER saw this score coming. It will be interesting to see how Hart's team regroups. I expect them to come back strong but probably as an overall contender. Just my perspective.
  19. For those of you who are more astute than I-What is the strict definition of a "team rebound"?
  20. I personally hate the play where the player jumps up, catches the ball and calls time out. The worst play in all of basketball!:madman: What I really hate about this play is when the referee rules the ball/player was out of bounds, going against the player attempting to call a time out. The referee then gives the ball out to the other team without assessing a time out when the player clearly signaled for a TO. If the officials would assess a time out then maybe this play would go away. Shouldn'T the official assess a timeout in this situation???
  21. The game program indicated he was a senior.
  22. My game observations: Putnam stadium, in my memory, has never had 3 crowds like this to start a season, this has been an AD's dream The crowd was large but a bit quiet I thought for such a big game Hunter and Wetzel are 2 of the best, toughest sophs Ashland has put on a football field, they simply have a nose for the game What a hard hitting contest-I wouldn't have wanted to take those hits out there. If Alber was sick, I can't wait till he gets healthy, phenominal effort:ylsuper: Lack of kicking game hasn't hurt AHS yet, hopefully it won't, but sometime I fear it will cost the 'Cats at an inoportune time It looked like the same old Ironton teams of the past, just 2 or 3 less horses Number 44 has a tough game for Ironton, but he really played his heart out. Finally, in the second half as the game was winding down, a few of us thought Ashland had worn Ironton down and the Tigers seemed to "give"-I think credit must go to Ashland's hard hitting I hope Swift comes back strong
  23. My take is that in the past 3 or 4 years the Raceland coaching staff has completely out prepared the Ashland coaching staff for this game. All the credit in the world goes to the Raceland staff. Ashland once experimented with Matt Thomas at QB, which was a complete disaster and cost Ashland that particular game. Ashland "should" be better prepared for this game mentally and physically. If Ashland is unable to win this game I will be surprised and very disappointed in the Ashland coaching staff. Just my take.
  24. Notes on the game for me: Huge crowd, it took 20 minutes in line to get a ticket, I missed Greenups TD Sam Hunter, IF he works hard and has the right attitude, can be a special QB Carter-the only surprise was he didn't get more touches, but then again they did not need him to carry it more(did he have one ankle heavily taped?) AHS can effectively throw or run the ball it appears Greenup had a great crowd, better times are ahead for GC Fantastic atmosphere for a HS football game AHS needs Will Skaggs to put the pads on. Lack of PAT/Field Goal kicker will eventually haunt them.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.