Is Ashland a 5A contender or just another Harbin Cow?

theguru

What the heck is a Harbin Cow?

LOL, The Harbin system is what Ohio goes by to determine who makes the playoffs. Ohio teams want to play teams they can get Harbin points from, you get points by beating a team, and then they get secondary points for every win the team they beat gets.

Ashland is a bigger school, so an Ohio team that beats them gets more points, and the more wins Ashland has, the more points Ironton gets. Will Ashland have a lot of wins this year? Which will give Ironton more points. If so, then they are a "Harbin Cow" A HUGE amount of Harbin points.

Cincinnati Moeller didn't travel to Henderson Co a few years ago just to play a football game, they were after A LOT of Harbin points.

They just may be a Herbin Cow. This game really surprised a lot of people, not who won, but the margin. I talked to some people close to the Ironton program before this game and they were worried, and no one thought the margin would be what it was either way.

I spoke with a friend whose son plays for Ashland and he said that it was the most flat he's ever seen those kids play. No heart he said. I listened to it on the radio and as expected got the "we got totally homered angle" at first and then as it ballooned to "it didn't matter what the officials did" it was hopeless angle. They aren't typically a good barometer of what goes on from an opponents point of view. I saw both teams in person, and frankly would never have thought Ironton would win, let alone blow them out, homefield or not.

Emotion had a lot to do with Ironton's win over Ashland. Great coaching and preparation also had alot to do with it. What many people don't understand with Ashland and Ironton is that last year it was the first time the ironton kids had ever seen their Tigers lose to the Tomcats. After the Tomcats took their team photo in front of the Putnam Stadium score board (something I doubt a guy like Coach Conley would have ever done) while the Fighting Tigers were still in the lockerroom, the kids and coaches that were coming back, were never going to let that happen at tanks memorial Stadium.

I believe Ashland will be just fine. A serious contender for a 5A State title, i dont know. However, I do believe they are one of the best, if not best teams in Eastern Ky. this year.

Good luck to the Tomcats the rest of the year. As you can see from this game and last years game, this game is great for the athletic departments of both schools. May that always continue.

It was funny how so many said Ashland was the favorite in this game.

I saw both Ironton and Ashland in person, and I was convinced that Ashland would win this game. I wonder how much coaching played in this one? Seems that Ironton was very prepared.

I saw both Ironton and Ashland in person, and I was convinced that Ashland would win this game. I wonder how much coaching played in this one? Seems that Ironton was very prepared.

Coach Lutz is the DC and I am sure that last year burns in his memory and he wasn't allowing it to happen on his field. Great, great coach that will be missed next year.