Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calico Jack

Former Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Calico Jack

  1. Kiffen has the personality/ego along with the healthy amount of not give a ? (in terms of Lane is going to Lane. Like me or don't like me) to take it. Kirby isn't coming, you're right. Call me crazy, and I'll call myself crazy if I'm wrong, but I don't think this job is going to be as desired as the majority think. For starters, where in the history of sports does this end well for the next coach, let alone in today's day and age? The absolute only one I can think of is when Joe B. took over for Coach Rupp, but had that been today's world? With two of his 1st four season's either being .500 and/or no tourney birth? Fired wouldn't be a shock (sad to say, nonetheless). I think guys like Kiffin and Kirby are going to look at where they are, what they are getting paid and the chance to maybe do (or close) what Saban has done, but at their current school(s). Obviously, Kirby is on his way. The same can be said for Dabo. Who will it be? No clue. But I think it will end up being somebody out of left field for the majority of thinking, yet someone connected either directly to coaching alongside Saban or part of his extended tree.
  2. By no means am I a Dabo homer, but there are two programs that have won at least 9 games/yr for the last 13-15. Bama & Clemson Saban & Dabo Their "fall off" as some would call it has also been attributed to the fact he had two QB's back to back that were among the elite in the college game, with Trevor Lawrence arguably being the best in his time there amongst all. Those guys matter just a little bit, just ask Hoodie in New England. ?
  3. Maybe not the most ideal, but he could still teach at Beechwood and coach at St.Henry. I know of at least one, and he might be the only one (teaches public, coaches private) in regards to football. Eric Dick, Lou. Holy Cross, teaches at a JCPS high school and is the Head Cougar on Dixie Highway.
  4. I love everything about what he said. I wasn’t there, but I’m guessing these 3 minutes were just what he said, “ending on a personal note” and that the other 2 hours were all about the boys with I’m sure plenty of thank you’s to parents, support, etc. Parents (some) can talk behind their backs amongst one another, they (some) can talk about them to their son at the dinner table and car, they (some) can even go to the administration about petty stuff that is nothing more than their own personal vendetta’s towards whatever ulterior motives that they (some) have. He at least had the guts to say it in front of those (that it applied to) and not behind the backs like so many in their own distructive pods do at every school in the state (and, all have them). I'd be willing to say that what was said had no effect on plenty, and then for some? It bothered. If the shoe fits, then wear it. I have no clue about all the other stuff in terms of stopping kids from transferring. If that’s true, then I can see where that could be just a little bit contradictory. Then again, that could be him “go on. Do what you have to do. I won’t fight another transfer.”
  5. Union won a region title in 2008, and ran into Louisville Central.
  6. Agreed on the last part, which, for Washington County (and, many others) has been the issue dating back to several coaches and good ones at that. I have no idea if the admin chose to go in a different direction or if Eric chose to step away on his own accord. However, it's been a struggle there regardless of who it is. Their last region final birth was in '97 if not mistaken. Tim Mattingly, who has been at Central Hardin since 2014 was the head Commander from 01-03 and finished with a win percentage of 40% (what Sagrecy finished at as well) He's only gone onto win two 6A Region Titles at Central Hardin, and coaching in his 5th this Friday. Mark Perry was at Washington from 04-10 and finished with a win percentage of 47%. They went 9-2 in 2010 (he was at Washington for 7 years, and had 3 winning seasons) and he then left for Central Hardin (never won less than 5 games) & in 2011 where he guided them to a 2013 6A Region Final, and then left to go to Lexington Catholic from '14-'17 where he never failed to take his Knights to at least a Region final, winning 2 of them and having a State Runner Up team. Their alignments and geography has done them no favors whatsoever. From 2011-2023 (and, even back to sometime during Perry's years) they were in districts-cross districts with the likes CAL, DeSales, Bardstown, LCA, Somerset, Glasgow and/or Danville among others. This year? They finally get away from having multiple of those schools in their district (and/or region), having "just" LCA and they finish 7-4. Eight winning seasons dating back to 1998 and four coaches, two of which went onto OTHER places, while struggling to find success there, and coach those teams to a total of 10 region final appearances, four region titles and one state runner up.
  7. I could be way off here, but I’m pretty sure he is from Washington state or somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
  8. It's not, but is it really ever? If, and they do, Bethlehem has a good core nucleus of talent, they'll be just fine. Hiring a coach in January or June isn't going to make a difference when or if you have the above in place as well as going along with the amazing support system with the administration they have at their school. Their administration is top notch, their new facilities are amazing, supportive parents, etc. Kids are resilient, much more than us adults. It's no different than seeing administrators leave for other jobs this time of year and countless other coaches who have resigned/moved onto other jobs in these spring-early summer months (too many to count over the years). If they have the people (players and administration) and support in place? They'll be fine. If they don't? They won't..whether the new coach is named in January or June. These things aren't the end of the world, nor close, especially for a program like Bethlehem has in place.
  9. *their game. (In my next to last post)
  10. Solid & accurate take right there.
  11. @barrel said a whole lot there and is completely accurate. I’ll add this, too, as I hinted some in my first post and that he also spoke on. When it comes to those wanting to be “coordinators”, especially young guys who are also aspiring to be head coaches. You better be just as willing to be a “laundry coordinator”, an all things “Home game Friday field set up Coordinator” and all that goes on before kick off. If you don’t see the head coach sitting down, you shouldn’t be and even if he is? I guarantee there is a “chin strap that needs fixed Coordinator” or the freshman “Coach I don’t have a knee pad coordinator” needed, all things “bringing energy coordinator” (both positive and dropping the hammer when needed), being one of the “paint the fields coordinator”, a “little league coordinator” even if just popping by every now and then for a practice or game from time to time of time allows around your own children’s schedules and it doesn’t have to be a lot, a “I’m going to ODK, D/D, Hash, etc. Coordinator” on Hudl before the HC and/or Coordinators do, a “transportation coordinator” for underclassmen games and changes. In doing all of these? Doing them in an “all in”, taking an initiative in doing so and not helping doing them so that you can say you did them to make you look good and while low key throwing the head coach under the bus to those few interested in hearing that. As for the coaching age? I’m with you @NotMattJones, I don’t have a clue either. I don’t think there is one. As you said, and you’re right, the NFL is a good barometer because if younger guys can do it at that age, at that level? Why not every level? However, though, you look at the college game and it’s absolutely flooded with guys 50-70’s that are still at the top of there game. Be it Nick Saban or never has stopped, to Mack Brown who stepped away for what seemed like over 10 years or more, before coming back to UNC and making them relevant again. Conversely? Mention hiring a 50-70 year old leading a Kentucky High School football program in some of the open job threads? And you’d think those guys are just ready to be moved out to pasture. They are exactly what Alabama, North Carolina and so many others need, but they aren’t what “Joe Average (at very best) High School” in KY needs? Makes sense (no sarcasm there at all). Great thoughts by all and great thread!
  12. I whole heartedly agree with that and I think some head coaches get burned by that, because at the end of the day? Your/their name is on it thing. Head coach gets fired, they are almost always done coaching at that school and the "O.C" or "D.C" have the option to stay with the next head coach. If you have somebody(s) 1- You can trust with your life and 2- They know at least as much as the head coach at a minimum, preferably more? Then by all means. Name away one or both sides. If not? Call them both yourself. That used to be, in the not so distant past, more common than not. If you have assistant coaches who sell out completely to "do your job" - "know your" role? It's not that hard for a head coach to do both if they are comfortable doing so. Truth be told, IMO, one of the best things a head coach can do is delegate all of the "other stuff" to assistant coaches or make them equal parts of it, because once you become that man? You learn real quick that your days become about 1% football and 99% all the other things. That, IMO, is one of the best things head coaches can do for aspiring head coaches, but, handling those things isn't as flashy as having the "O.C" or "D.C" graphic on your twitter banner. So, finding guys that want to just be a position coach and have a heavy hand in all the tedious behind the scenes goings on isn't as easy to sell. With that said, I know current head coaches as we all do who were "coordinators" before getting a head job and many of them happily took the role of "coordinating" knowing and wanting the head coach to either 1- Sign off on any and everything they did or 2- The head coach saying, "Here is what I want us to do. I'll teach it to you and you 'run' with it." @barrel
  13. In this day and age it's just becoming tougher, period. However, I heard this once upon a time and I personally believe it holds true despite the age. If they're a young age, for example, take Haddix @BEChargers, before he took the Perry County Central job he was at Breathitt County coaching under Mike Holcomb who he just so happened to play for and wasn't calling the offense (maybe I'm wrong). He had played under Mike Holcomb, then went onto have a very good career at WKU where he obviously learned from some good ones, and then went back to learn some more under Mike Holcomb. Point being? I think who someone has learned under carries a lot more weight than anything. You can't play and especially coach under legends and not know how to coach the game well unless you're just not very smart. I heard something once that I think makes even more added sense, IMO. "Two things help me determine whether to take a job or not: is there great administrative support and can I win there?" ("win"= all relative to the situation. For first time head coaches? Maybe that's being able to compete year in year out for a district title. Heck, nowadays, that's even the case for guys who have either had long tenures at one school or have been at multiple. Maybe that's realistically competing for region titles? Then obviously state titles. Does my community, my school have all the things it takes that are beyond my control- town size, job opportunities to keep and attract other familes, demographic/geographical layout- aka- are we a 3A sized school, but really a 1A program in terms of where we draw our kids from) I think, and this goes back to what Coach Smith said, but many times first time head coaches (even multiple time) don't analyze the above enough and just have too much of the 'Head Coach or bust mentality'. Personally, I think this day and age it's easier than ever for coaches in their 20's to get a head job, but I'd say they have to be willing to pack up and move (see Frankfort High's new head coach, Pikeville to Frankfort). I would be completely comfortable in saying that only 15-20% of the jobs in the state right now have head coaches that left one program immediately for another and I'd assume that 90% of those are either coaches who have taken jobs within the same county, school system, a metro area like NKY where there are 3 counties, yet everything is right there next to one another meaning they don't have to pack up their families and move, lastly they've left one for another the following year because of family being there and/or it being a school they attended.
  14. And even tenures like that are almost always at places that are few and far between, like Beechwood, Mayfield, Bowling Green, Bardstown, Male, X, T, Pikeville, Highlands, etc. Even with the periods of turnover that even some of those schools have had (some have had very few in the last 50-70 years- namely Bardstown, Mayfield, BG, Russell being another) the average tenures still come out to be 10-15 years overall for the programs. You remove 20-25 programs across the state, and the average tenure might be 5 years at best.
  15. Those are important. Very important. That’s why I said there are many, many teams across the state and across the country that have those, but neither are the trump card(s) when compared to who has the best dudes. They aren’t more important than having the best players on the field. Look at the FD/Boyle game last fall. That’s all that needs to be said. Both very well coached? No doubt (as are many others nowhere near the programs that those two are) Both have great culture? Absolutely (as do many others) Both have very good offseason programs? Without question (as do many others) Both with very good players? For sure. One with more of those very good players all over the field than the other? Without question.
  16. I’m going with Anthony, not that Tim Davis couldn’t and wouldn’t be able to do it, he’s as good as it gets. Factor in that Tim coached Anthony and then Anthony also worked under Davis while he was still the head boys coach and/or AD? I think this has Anthony Epps name written all of it if he wants it. If not? Working that ladder in the college game isn’t a bad option, either. Obviously it’s all about what he feels is best for him and his.
  17. Either or. All can and have done both, or really all 3 when you count playing QB.
  18. I don't see why either of them will sit, unless needed to give them a break some to play defense. With Dawson at QB, Bodner and Brown along with Quisenberry then the Driver brothers, those 20/21/22 sets could be just a little bit nasty to say the least.
  19. The thing about Brown, also, and this is pointing out the obvious on here whether people know it and admit it, or know it and won't (for reasons unbeknownst to me). He's a season changer typer player. If your team is full of supporting cast type kids? He makes you a handful (at least) of games better that you otherwise lose and/or are scratching and clawing with everything in you to make it a good game, win or lose. He's that kind of guy. It's the same with Quisenberry, Dawson, etc. They are those types of players. Just get them the ball. Quisenberry is a prime example of that, as a freshman playing QB, he had 2,500 total yards. I know some out there will bring up the scheme he was in or wasn't in and that's just foolishness, just save it. 2,500 yards both rushing and passing is just that...2,500 and as a freshman. He plays for Garrard this year? You are easily looking at a 8-9 win team, maybe more with a. possible region title appearance. Guess what (you know this, but for others)? He still gets his offers. Take into consideration they had another game breaker type player move over the summer? Then their best RB injured and out for the season early on? Who knows the season they have. Bottom line is? It's players. It's always been about players and it always will be. All the feel good stuff and sayings? Culture, next man up, off season work? Bull. There are plenty of places that have teams of good, hardworking, respectful, dedicated kids. There are plenty of places that have players, despite their differences in natural ability/experience, that have coaches ready put them in the best situation they can at the time to serve their team to the best of their abilities, there are plenty of places where kids have been getting after it in the weight room/track, etc.
  20. I’d add in Male’s complex, football, baseball and softball as well as Manual Stadium. Fern Creek really makes their place look nice w the playing surface and it all painted up (largely, if not all privately fundraised), Eastern has a nice, big, newer stadium. Their baseball infield (I believe) was just recently turfed, as well as Butler’s this year and PRP’s a few years back. But, you’re right. I knew what you meant. These upgrades are way past due for the vast majority of the schools and programs there. Extremely excited to see it!
  21. The new coach I’m sure will be pressured by all the “who have you hired?” questions and that’s a good thing to get those. Anytime people care it’s a good thing! But maybe it will be a smooth transition, but maybe it will take some time? Ultimately he has to find people he can trust. That’s the first thing. If he can surround himself w a couple few coaches he can trust? That work hard and know the demands that high school football is and can be? The football part is easy. You can teach that, even if they know nothing about it. Obviously much of their success this season will be determined by their talent vs those they have to compete with, namely in district and region. For whatever reasons that’s a topic that's always “proceed with caution”, but in the end? That’s what matters. Are your guys better than their guys?
  22. It is and it always has been a tad overrated. It's great to get outside, change things up from the off season, but it's nothing that can't be done in June (outside of full gear). You can change up the culture with offseason workouts and start there. 8-10 practices in March, April, May and more times than not, without you better players due to baseball or track, come August, September, October and beyond holds zero relevance. I'm a fan of it. I think its good for nothing else than to break up the offseason, but to truly believe it plays any factor whatsoever in an upcoming season? Can agree to disagree, though on the big picture impact of it! ? The bold also takes time. I heard once from a HOF HS football coach out of state (I'm talking one of THE states when it comes to HS Football) that when you're a new hire? It usually takes TWO full offseason and TWO full season's before your new team is YOURS.
  23. They'll be fine. Spring ball isn't that big of a deal- it's really not.
  24. To go along with @gchs_uk9, I personally love the set up at Campbellsville High School. Pikeville High School has the same set up as well and I'm pretty sure a good chunk of center field all the way to right field at Lexington Catholic is part football field. Here is a "What If" in terms of atmosphere, but what if enough fans came to where the football bleachers were full? Talk about something different and unique in (another) better way! Campbellsville and Taylor County both have remarkable athletic facilities for all. Both have turf football/soccer, Campbellsville has an all turf softballl field, Taylor County has the infields of both their baseball and softball fields turfed. Both school systems also have brand new, resurfaced tracks. Taylor County has a new gym at their new high school about 3 miles north over the shortstop area of the pic and it hosts region basketball tourney's. Campbellsville HS's gym is just to the left of the press box in the picture above. While not big enough to host region tournaments, it's a very unique, one level, bowl shaped venue that I hope never changes. None of which come to mind like that in Northern Kentucky I don't believe? Kind of like Beechwood and others who only have one side of bleachers in their gym. I love that. For those wondering where the softball field is for Campbellsville Independent? It's about two miles to the right of 1st base in that picture at Campbellsville Middle School, which, oddly enough is practically right across the road from, wait for it, Taylor County Middle School (old Taylor County High School), which is where Taylor County's football and baseball complex's are located. I love the 'all in one' set ups like this, even better that there is no track around them when it comes to football. All makes for much more intimate settings IMO.
  25. Been an assistant several years with Kevin Wallace, both at Bowling Green and then went with him to St.X. He went to WKU, maybe played there as well and might be an X grad, too?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.