Everything posted by rjs4470
-
Disney Owned Channels (including ESPN, FX, SEC and Disney Channel) Go Dark on Spectrum
I had Spectrum for internet only as well, but dropped it in favor of AltaFiber about a year ago. Spectrum just kept going up in price. I've now got 1gb service for 1/4 price locked in for 3 years. I had DirecTv for over 20 years and dropped it in favor of Youtube Tv in February once I found out DTV was losing Sunday Ticket. Even with YouTube's price increase I'm still saving $75/ month.
-
8/31 - 9/2 What games are you attending?
I'm originally from and played high school football in Delaware. Salesianum (The Sallies) are a long time football power. DMA didn't exist when I played but have built a good program. Abessinio Stadium is supposed to be a state of the art facility. It was built on the grounds of old Baynard Stadium, and serves several high schools in the Wilmington Area. Smyrna has been the best football school in Delaware over the last decade or so and has undergone tremendous growth from a not so good small school in the 70's and 80's to a large powerhouse. I look forward to hearing about these games.
-
Highlands' Drew Rom to Make Major League Debut
He pitched well against a very hot Phillies lineup and kept his team in the game. Unfortunately for him, the Cards just aren't hitting.
-
Newport 48 Holmes 6
I've heard less than 20. The KHSAA roster shows 30 so I'm not sure what the real number is.
-
Simon Kenton at Woodford County Predictions/Updates (Canceled)
It is an issue when as somebody said earlier they didn't get in until about 1 am. Would be completely unfair to play the game early in the morning, and with temps predicted in the 90's, there's a good chance they wouldn't be able to play in the afternoon. I suppose they could play in the evening, but you've also got the problem of getting officials, scheduling transportation and putting all the other logistics of moving a large football team on short notice. Again, all of this isn't so bad if you're only traveling a few miles. But even 1.5 hours, makes things more difficult.
-
Simon Kenton at Woodford County Predictions/Updates (Canceled)
If the schools were closer to each other the game would’ve have been made up. But with the distance involved it would be absolutely unfair and a huge disadvantage for SK. Plus there’s no guarantee they’d get in tomorrow. The only way this game would have been played is if they would have moved it to Saturday earlier in the week.
-
Heat wave this week
This extra precaution shouldn't be done for liability sake. Every precaution should be taken for the health and well being of the athletes.
-
Heat wave this week
I'm not sure if it's changed this year, but KY is one of the few states that used just the heat index. Most states use the WBGT method which takes into account windspeed, angle of the sun, etc. That method is actually a little more forgiving than just using the heat index.
-
Campbell County 56 Scott 6
Over the last 10 years, I think the series would have been pretty even. Each team would have probably had a couple blowouts.This series tends to be streaky in most other sports where they do play every year, and football will probably be the same way.
-
Heat wave this week
For sure. There are workarounds, obvious by changing Practice to before school. And you will likely see game times pushed back until things get cooler.
-
Highlands 34 Lexington Catholic 27
The receiving/passing would likely be an either/or situation. If a player is good enough to throw for a bunch of TD's, he's likely a full time qb, and thus not likely to catch that many. I guess one factor could be a position change at some point in the season.
-
Jacob and Jerad Smith (Corbin) rumor - True
I think the flakiness is mostly due to the lack of information provided to the public regarding what the decision is based on. And for the most part, it really isn't the public's business as to why someone transfers, especially since some of those decisions are based on private, personal reasons. These aren't pro athletes....they are kids. And because everything we hear is second hand, or just conjecture, many are left with the idea that the rules aren't being consistently applied.
-
Scott at Campbell County Predictions/Updates
Makes sense.....I guess that is a bridge....not a big bridge, but a bridge.
-
Scott at Campbell County Predictions/Updates
I can't figure out which bridge either. Anyway, I'm glad to see this game happening, and hopefully on an every year basis. The schools have developed a nice rivalry in most sports as members of the 37th district. And the middle schools have been in the same division and have played some very spirited games over the last decade+ too. I really can't figure out why these teams haven't been regulars on each others schedule. I know they did scrimmage each other a few times back when Dave Campbell coached Scott, but otherwise I can't remember the last time they played a regular season game.
-
WiFi Range Extender recommendations
I tried extenders, but none of them really did the trick, especially as the demand increased. Ultimately, at least for me, a mesh router answered all of my problems, and was money well spent. My situation though required some horsepower, as nearly every electronic item I own is some sort of smart device, from lights, to several tvs, computers etc. And I work from home, so I need rock solid reliability. If your needs are simpler, an extender may work out.
-
JCPS staggered school start times
This just sounds awful. Can you imagine a bus driver's work day now with those staggered times? I wouldn't work a split shift like that for $50/hour. They obviously need more drivers, but how many people are going to willingly sign up for that insane schedule?
-
Carroll County schools to restrict cell phone use with students
Does it matter or are we just looking for ways to demonize the poor? A family of four can earn almost $55k and get reduced lunch. Families in poverty situations figure out ways to afford and access things they need. I would say phone/internet access is pretty important to everyday life these days. So while they may figure out a way to afford a phone for their kids, there may be many other things they have to give up.
-
Carroll County schools to restrict cell phone use with students
There have always been students who have access to tech, and students who do not. Those disadvantages/advantages have always existed, whether you're talking about encyclopedias, computers or phones. There are students who don't have access to the internet outside of school.
-
Carroll County schools to restrict cell phone use with students
Obviously, not every student has a phone, and schools should not provide one. Some schools/areas will have nearly 100% with phones, some will be much less, and many will be in between. Statistically, over 80% of high school students have phones. Thus, to ignore the impact and effect that phones can have on learning is shortsighted. And as adults we've all encountered things that are becoming more difficult to do without a smart phone. Which is one of the reasons why I don't think a blanket policy like this is necessary or even good.
-
Small roster substitution
Yes. But you still need to develop someone that can provide a breather for that player, as those are two of the most demanding positions on the field.
-
Carroll County schools to restrict cell phone use with students
The comparison isn’t even close. It also ignores the fact that phones have become a virtual necessity just to be able to get around in life. It’s a tool that makes many things beyond just simple communication easier. And as such, it can and does play a role in education. And I completely understand that this was not true a generation ago, but things have changed and to just ignore that and say “phones don’t belong in school” is a shortsighted and antiquated take on the issue.
-
Carroll County schools to restrict cell phone use with students
That’s why kids need to learn this “skill”.
-
Carroll County schools to restrict cell phone use with students
This is more where I stand on the issue. Handling, removing, keeping other people’s property is asking for potential trouble. The horse is already out of the barn with phones. Teaching appropriate phone usage I think is the better plan as opposed to temporarily confiscating them.
-
Carroll County schools to restrict cell phone use with students
Phone technology has become so ubiquitous that nearly everyone now has a phone. And while they can be distractions, there are also benefits. For diabetics, their phone is often part of their blood sugar management. Phones could also play important roles in the case of emergencies. And if I were a teacher, I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of collecting and redistributing phones at the beginning and end of every class, even if they are just throwing them in a collection bin. Adults manage to survive meetings, and work with their phones on their person...it's a skill that kids will have to learn eventually.
-
Digital Scout High School Software Goes Belly Up - What are the alternatives?
The two that come to mind are HUDL and GameChanger. It’s been a couple years, but stats should already be part of your teams HUDL package. I’ve used it and it’s does everything I think you’d want and is pretty easy to use. It also matches the stat tags to the video which can be helpful for coaches. Should be an easy move. I know other sports use GameChanger and they do have a football option, but I’ve never used it. Really though as long as HUDL stats is still part of their package, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t use it.