Everything posted by HATTRACK
-
Newport 60 Bishop Brossart 0
It is going to be a long year for Brossart. Besides them getting into the groove of just playing football, hitting the weights and starting a youth program, when will the time come when the kids from southern Campbell County start going to Brossart for football instead of Newport Central Catholic? I'm sure that St. Joe's and St. Mary have some good athletes that opt for New Cath football instead of going to Brossart football. Are there any rules on this, or can any kid in Campbell County go to Brossart or New Cath?
-
1983 State Champ Ring
From my understanding, Miles did play for the Newport Firefighters when he was younger. I think his dad played for Newport in the mid 1960's.
-
Newport / NewCath Predictions
About everybody on the planet will pick New Cath for this game. For the Breds to have any chance to win State this year, they will need Kues at QB. I don't know what is wrong with him, but he needs to sit out until he heals. If this happens, this game may be interesting. But, we will see how good the Breds are without their starting QB. Newport has nothing to lose in this game. They will have no pressure on them. The Cats need to key on Kelly running the ball and pressure the QB. Newport needs to play hard and play smart the entire game. And if, New Cath puts a whooping on the Cats, the players need to show good sportsmanship. Go Cats!
-
Newport / Lloyd Predicitions
It is easy to sit back and say that you are good, have talent & don't like to lose. That doesn't cut it though. The players have to lift weights in the off season and commit themselves to the game. I don't mean just practicing hard during preseason and during the season. Many teams are successful because parents and coaches have high expectations of the players and team. Do players know what it takes to become a winner? I would hope that the coaches have high, but realistic expectations of their players. If the team & coaches are doing everything in their power to become a good football team, what else can you do? I encourage the Newport players to do the following: listen to your coaches, attend all practices, work hard in practice, become a smart player, practice good sportsmanship, and leave it all on the field. I wish the Wildcats success for the rest of the season!
-
Newport / Lloyd Predicitions
Erlanger Lloyd's QB runs the ball a lot and throws the ball a lot. This will be the first team that Newport has faced that will throw the ball. I look for the QB to run at least 10 -15 times. Herthel is back for Lloyd and will be a factor. If he gets the ball, see ya later. You need to see this kid run at track meets. For Newport to have any chance in this game, they need to put pressure on the QB and key on him for the run. Newport's pass defense will finally be tested in this game. And that is what we want, don't we? Remember this, when the Lloyd QB goes back to pass, he may pass or he may run. Newport's best defense may be ball control if they can pull it off. Let's try to keep the ball out of the Juggernauts hands. Good Luck Wildcats!!
-
Coal Grove, OH 29 Newport 14
Coal Grove probably ran the ball so much (only 2 passes in the game) because Bellevue & Whitley County piled up over 700 yards on the ground against the Wildcats. If I were Coal Grove, I would have kept the ball on the ground too. It eats up the clock while you move the ball.
-
Newport/Coal Grove (OH) Predictions
They lost their 1st 2 games of the year and presently have a 1-3 record. There are 420 students in their high school, so they are similar size to Newport.
-
Bellevue names Mike Herald as Boys' Head Coach!
He is not only a great coach, but a great shooter. I still remember his days at Dayton High School in the early 70's. He lit it up at the Devil's Den many times. A great addition for Bellevue.
-
Top 10 Players in the 9th
Tucker is a Junior and has the potential to be a great player. He can be a point guard or shooting guard. Hopefully he'll do a lot of both.
-
Top 10 Players in the 9th
I hope you are right. Newport hasn't won their District since 1985.
-
Coaches On BGP
I'm sure that many coaches check this forum out on a regular basis. Most of the people that replies to the football forum are big time high school fans, have a vested interest in his team or just like to talk high school football and give their opinion. It is easy for us to criticize and give solutions for the woes of our favorite football team. However, many of the replies are positive and it is great that some of these outstanding football players are recognized. Coaches probably laugh at some of the things said in forums. I really believe that there are several members of BGP that have a great knowledge of football and are presently coaches or have been in the past. If a coach picks up a suggestion or idea that someone has mentioned,a good for him. A coach, I mean (good coaches) should be continually learning and always have their minds open to new ideas or improvements. Just my opinion!!
-
How many teams elect captains?
This is absolutely true. A captain should be somebody that the players & coaches respects & looks up to. Many times, a senior with no leadership characteristics gets selected just because they have been playing forever. There are many definitions of a leader and there are some captains that think they are leaders, but really aren't. A player can lead by example. Some players are natural leaders. These are easy to pick out. They work hard, give encouragement, don't cuss their teammates. It is an honor to be a captain and these positions should be filled by honorable players. Go Wildcats!
-
Highlands 70 Holmes 6
I don't see what the big deal is about having the 2nd string QB of Highlands passing the ball when the bluebirds are up. He needs reps and that is the perfect time to get them. The subs for the Bluebirds are going to play as hard as the starters. And that is the way it should be. If Holmes loses 100-7, big deal. They need to get over it and try to improve. Coach Lickert knew what he was getting into when he went to Holmes. If some of you people think that is too harsh, that's your opinion. I guarantee you that Travis Alford will hit somebody as hard as he can whether he is in a tight game or if he is up 60. Some of these Holmes Bulldogs that took this whipping on the football field will probably be dunking on the Bluebirds come basketball season.
-
Whitley County 52 Newport 12
We hope that the Wildcats will get going in the right direction. In the 2 Wildcat losses, they have given up over 700 rushing yards. Not good! Bellevue and Whitley County did not throw many passes against us probably because they didn't need to. If our defense can't stop the run, it is going to be a long season. Teams are not going to pass against us as long as they move the ball on the ground. Is our running defense not doing the job because of the defense we are playing or is it because the other team has better players than us? If we can force a team into passing situations, things may get better. I am hoping that all of the players are leaving it all on the field and playing smart and that the coaches are doing everything in their power to improve the team. Go Wildcats!!
-
Newport 20 Pendleton County 12
- How important is a JV Football game?
I think JV games are very important. A schedule of 5 games does not help the program. I can understand not scheduling a JV game after a long road trip the night before. However, an 8 or 9 game JV schedule is a necessity. JV games are for players that don't get many reps in the varsity game. The varsity subs look forward to JV games because this is their chance to show the coaches what they have. It is very frustrating to the sophomores and the juniors that do not get to play much in the Varsity games. By having JV games, they feel more a part of the team and are able to develop their skills. Besides that, some kids are pushed into playing positions that they normally don't play. And this can be a good thing. I want our kids to stay interested in the game of football. Also, I believe that the JV schedule does not have to follow that of the varsity. With that being the case and our team having a turf field, there are many teams that would come to play you. Gate receipts, concessions, home field, varsity coaches being able to watch. This is just my opinion!!- Who still runs the Wishbone?
I think they won the State Championship running the single wing. Seeing that ball being snapped to any of those 3 athletic backs was quite a unique thing. They did so much out of the single wing that opposing teams struggled to defend it. Bill Baldridge was the head coach at Bellevue then and I think he left after that year to coach at Morehead State.- Newport / Whitley County Predictions
Whitley is 1-1. They beat Middlesboro pretty good their first game with almost 300 rushing yards and only 9 yards passing. Bell County (ranked #1 in 4A) thumped Whitley County 38-8 this past weekend even though total yardage was about even. Whitley did pass for 175 yards, but a lot of that may have been because they were losing the whole game trying to play catch-up. Whitley is a 5A school that only won 2 games last year (1 against us) with questionable calls resulting in a Whitley County win. They dress 48 players and have only 8 seniors, plus they have a 3+ hour drive to get to our place. We have some things in our favor: We are coming off a win, they are coming off a loss, we are at home and hopefully this is the last time that we will play Whitley County. Newport has nothing to lose in this game. Whitley may not pass early in the game and if that is the case, Newport needs to take advantage of it. Bellevue beat us with only 4 passing yards and Whitley beat Middlesboro with only 9 passing yards. Newport needs to play with pride and leave it all on the field.- Newport / Pendleton County
Hopefully, Newport will bounce back from their loss to Bellevue. According to KyPost.com, Bellevue only passed for 4 yards while running for almost 300 against Newport. This is not supposed to happen! If Pendleton decides to run the ball, and I'm sure they will after seeing the Newport-Bellevue game, Newport needs to get some more guys up in the box. Newport needs to cut out the turnovers and maybe do a little extra running to get in shape. Come on Newport, have some pride and bring us a win!- Bellevue 18 Newport 6
I would assume that Kim & Carter are 2 of the top fastest guys on the team. I'm sure the coaches have a reason for this. I assume Price is still returning kickoffs. He did a great job at that last year. Collins may get better with time. However, Newport needs to establish a running game to set up the passing game. If your passing game is not that good, the defense can key on your running plays and will shut you down. Defenses will take chances, recognize your running pattern and shut down your offense.- Bellevue 18 Newport 6
Sometimes the newspapers cover who they want to cover. Many times this is key games. The Bellevue & Newport game was not a key game. However, I would expect a box score or a mini-write-up about the game. I don't know if the winning team is responsible for this or the host team. It is a shame that there was nothing in the paper about this. I would assume that the Campbell County Recorder will have something about the game this Thursday or Friday. The game did not involve 2 powerhouses, but they at least deserve a little ink. I too, wasted a dollar on a paper today.- Cardinal Mooney, OH 57 Covington Catholic 0
This may be. However, I remember Newport Public flogging Cov Cath around 50-0 around 1976 or 1977. Does anybody remember this?- Cov. Cath Coach?
He was also an assistant to Kenny Shields at Highlands back in the late 70's. After leaving Highlands, I believe he went to Harrison County as a head coach for a year, but it was not too memorable. I think he only stayed there 1 or 2 years. He has redeemed himself since then. I think that coach Listerman is one of the top 4 coaches in the region- Housley Eligibility?
We can even go farther back: Kyle Napier. Posey, Dan Schwalbach all went to NCC after going through the 8th grade in Newport schools. I guess the grass is greener on the other side.- Bellevue 18 Newport 6
Sorry to hear about the Wildcats loss. Who did the scoring for Bellevue & Newport? How many passes did Newport complete for how many yards? - How important is a JV Football game?