Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who still runs the Wishbone?

Featured Replies

I know the Mountain powers do; Bell, Belfry, Johnson Central. But do any other teams that are succesful run it?

Raceland runs "the bone" but not as a mainstay, they also go out of the spread (is their main offense) along with showing some "power I" and "wing T" sets as well. I know that Raceland came out in the wishbone in their opener vs. Ashland and the Tomcats could not come close to stopping it.

Raceland then went away from it after the first two or three series and back to the spread. For this season imo they woud be very effective out of any running offense but that is why I am sitting here and not coaching, the coaches know what to do.

Raceland has imo two of the better backs in our area in Denton and Carver, an experienced and smart QB in Boyles along with a dominating line which is a must for any running offense.

 

I love the wishbone offense, some say that it is outdated but nothing could be further from the truth imo. A lot of these spread option that teams are using work on the the wishbone principles. Wishbone, veer, wing t..... any of it. I am old school and love watching these teams.

Mercer Co. runs it some.

Murray High is running it this year.

^ I can remember when Bellevue ran the old single wing with the Sutkamp boys.

Nelson County runs the "veer" exclusively.

LaRue County runs the Wing T with Wishbone mixed in.

Valley in Louisville runs it.

Looks like many schools still run the outdated wishbone with fine results.

"Outdated" huh. LOL Football is so faddish and trendy. I remember a few years back the Wing-T was a cult following, then the spread came around, I guess it will roll back to the bone in time! LOL

When ran to perfection it is a beautiful product. I used to absolutely love watching the Air Force Academy run the bone.

^ I can remember when Bellevue ran the old single wing with the Sutkamp boys.

 

I think they won the State Championship running the single wing. Seeing that ball being snapped to any of those 3 athletic backs was quite a unique thing. They did so much out of the single wing that opposing teams struggled to defend it. Bill Baldridge was the head coach at Bellevue then and I think he left after that year to coach at Morehead State.

I am of the firm belief that you can run any offense with success if:

 

1. the coaching staff and players believe in the offense

2. the coaching staff knows how to evaluate positives and negatives of the current personnel

3. the players get enough repetitions in practice of base plays so that they become second nature.

 

I love run oriented offenses including the Wishbone (of course, I am an OC in a spread offense, so I am partial to it).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.