Moeller (OH) 5 Saint Xavier 3

Tigers run into a buzzsaw dropping 2 in Indianapolis. They also lost to Noblesville, In Spalding was losing pitcher in game 1. I believe Zach Clooney was loser in game 2. Mighty men of Moe are nationally ranked.

Winning pitcher for Moeller was Kevin Brinkman.

Tigers run into a buzzsaw dropping 2 in Indianapolis. They also lost to Noblesville, In Spalding was losing pitcher in game 1. I believe Zach Clooney was loser in game 2. Mighty men of Moe are nationally ranked.

Winning pitcher for Moeller was Kevin Brinkman.

I think stating that X lost 2 without giving any details would not be justice. I would offer that the Tigers did themselves in, rather than “running into a buzz saw.” I offer this perspective of the game.

In the first game, Moeller played solid, quality baseball. They won 5-3. Their catcher repeated blocked balls in the dirt that good catchers should do. Their outfielders ran down fly balls and caught them. All of the runs Moeller got came in the second inning. The Tigers had a lot of chances to get out of the inning with minimal damage.

It was a windy day, but both teams played on the same field. I am not for sure why 4 players started for X in the field that have not been regularly starting. The right fielder for X misjudged a relatively routine fly ball and let in drop for a hit. Two other balls hit to the outfield might have been caught as well. An outfielder that made plays against Lexington Catholic was not playing. Spalding played in the outfield against Lexington Catholic and now was on the mound.

There were balls that were repeatedly going off the mitt of the X catcher. With a runner on first base and a passed ball by the catcher, the runner advanced all the way to third. I do not know how the catcher did not get to the ball more quickly. With runners on second and third, a bunt by the Moeller batter went only five feet or so from the plate. The runner on second was moving on the pitch. The catcher threw the ball to third and the runner was safe. No out was obtained. On another play with a full count, the batter swung and missed. The runner ran to an open first base. The catcher held the ball. The runner was safe on first after being struck out.

X gave Moeller at least 6 outs that inning, maybe more. For X to beat quality opponents, these mistakes cannot be made. They seem to be able to make plays when they beat Lexington Catholic just 2 days before, but it did not happen on Saturday. Hopefully, the Tigers will learn from the experience. I do not know of any high school team in Kentucky that is not going through a learning period early in the season.

Noblesville was preseason number four in Indiana. They came to play baseball. The score was tied 1-1 after 4 innings after Clooney left the game.

Can't wait to hear from 58Bulldogs.

Sorry Marley, been on vacation. What would you like to hear? Homerun gave an accurate synopsis and I don't have much to add. Bottom line is that Moeller and Noblesville played better and deserved the wins. X bounced back tonight with a 6-2 win in Cincy over previously unbeaten Cincy X. Spalding went 5 ip, 8 K's, 2 runs, 0 ER. In my opinion Moeller and Cincy X are evenly matched teams. It will be interesting to see who wins the GCL.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry Marley, been on vacation. What would you like to hear? Homerun gave an accurate synopsis and I don't have much to add. Bottom line is that Moeller and Noblesville played better and deserved the wins. X bounced back tonight with a 6-2 win in Cincy over previously unbeaten Cincy X. Spalding went 5 ip, 8 K's, 2 runs, 0 ER. In my opinion Moeller and Cincy X are evenly matched teams. It will be interesting to see who wins the GCL.

Cincy St. X 6-- Moeller 3

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110414/SPT0301/399990326/

• 4 weeks later...

Game 2: Cincy ST. X3 - Moeller 1

LinK: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110510/SPT0301/305100016/-No-2-St-X-beats-No-1-Moeller-again-?odyssey=nav%7Chead