Here is a challenge for you

stick1

By domination in the girl's sports one would assume you refer to volleyball. I would contend that the advantage enjoyed by the private schools in this sport has much more to do with the preparation of the players in the parochial grade schools and participation in club volleyball than it has to do with where these players come from geographically.

If adding basketball to this mix as well (it may be a stretch to consider that sport dominated by private schools) I would point to the same factor. The parochial grade schools seem to do a superior job preparing the athletes for high school competition. A private HS gets athletes from a number of parochial grade schools (let's say 6 grade schools) that each had school teams while the public schools get their athletes from typically one or two middle schools. So the private school gets players from six teams and the public school gets players from one or two. The number of students to draw from is not the issue here as much as the number of experienced athletes.

By domination in the girl's sports one would assume you refer to volleyball. I would contend that the advantage enjoyed by the private schools in this sport has much more to do with the preparation of the players in the parochial grade schools and participation in club volleyball than it has to do with where these players come from geographically.

If adding basketball to this mix as well (it may be a stretch to consider that sport dominated by private schools) I would point to the same factor. The parochial grade schools seem to do a superior job preparing the athletes for high school competition. A private HS gets athletes from a number of parochial grade schools (let's say 6 grade schools) that each had school teams while the public schools get their athletes from typically one or two middle schools. So the private school gets players from six teams and the public school gets players from one or two. The number of students to draw from is not the issue here as much as the number of experienced athletes.

In girls' basketball, private schools have won the last five, don't consider that a stretch. Soccer and softball has seen some consistency of private schools in the finals.

Stats are great if you look at them very narrowly. Two stats that puts a better focus on your stats is the number of private teams competing. For example, if there have been 4 private school state champions during that time, it is impressive if there are only 3-4 private 3A schools competing against 40-50 public schools.

The article in another thread pointed out that 5 of the 8 state finalists were private schools and the 3 publics DID NOT have a private school to compete against in their region.

Also, you have made this argument exclusively about football. While it is a straw and maybe the last straw that broke the camel's back, it is not the only straw. You must look at the domination in girls sports and other sporting areas.

No doubt Catholic schools dominated the state championship in football this year but if you go back past this year the argument doesn't hold much validity. Football is at an all time high right now in this state and I don't want to see it degress which is what will happen if people don't look at the big picture. I'll be honest with you, I could care less about the Public/Private in girls sports. I'll let the experts in those sports argue that one. If they want to go Public/Private split in the other sports then whatever floats their boat is fine by me although I think most arguments are knee jerk and there are a lot more problems out there. I hope people look at how fast our football across the state has progressed in the past 10-15 years. If there is a Public/Private split then I hope they exclude football because it would be a HUGE mistake to ruin what is happening with football in this state. We are getting more kids in college, look at UofL/Georgetown/Morehead/Westen and the recruiting class UK is getting in this year with a lot of instate talent. The High School programs are also making our college football programs more attractive. Even if you look at the 1A,2A and 3A winners this year you will notice that NCC hasn't won it in awhile, Russell hasn't won it in about 30 years and Lexington Catholic had never won it. Programs like Catholic and Boyle have raised the bar to try to catch up with programs like Highlands instead of water things down. If you look at the recent dominance in football the last 10 years in 1A, 2A and 3A then you have to look at Highlands, Boyle, Danville, Beechwood, Mayfield, Belfrey etc. Every one of those schools are Public schools. I just think if you look at the BIG picture (exclude what Trinity and X have done) football is in great shape in this state and tinkering to apease a few people would be a bad mistake. Football has come leaps and bounds! It's only getting better so why mess it up? Until more school consolidate or break down their closed borders, nobody is going to catch X + T year after year unless it's a school like Male or maybe Manual.

Although privates have won the last 5 girl's sweet sixteens they have sent only 12 of the 80 participants during that 5 year stretch. During the same stretch privates accounted for 15 of the 80 participants in girl's soccer. I would imagine the 15% and 18.75% of state participants in those state tournament brackets would be somewhat similar to the state total % of teams that are private. Hardly domination.

Although privates have won the last 5 girl's sweet sixteens they have sent only 12 of the 80 participants during that 5 year stretch. During the same stretch privates accounted for 15 of the 80 participants in girl's soccer. I would imagine the 15% and 18.75% of state participants in those state tournament brackets would be somewhat similar to the state total % of teams that are private. Hardly domination.

The final four in girl's soccer that past five years has consisted of 50% private schools and 50% public with the private schools winning 60% of the titles.

so now the argument is not that too many teams (or a disproportionate amount) of the participants in the state tournament are private, but rather that they did too well?

It also appears that teams from NKY have won that last two state tournaments and representated just under 50% of the state finalist teams over the last 5 years. Should we then consider making NKY teams play in Ohio's state tournament?

so now the argument is not that too many teams (or a disproportionate amount) of the participants in the state tournament are private, but rather that they did too well?

It also appears that teams from NKY have won that last two state tournaments and representated just under 50% of the state finalist teams over the last 5 years. Should we then consider making NKY teams play in Ohio's state tournament?

Classic! That's pretty funny!

I agree with what stick1 said in post #18. The private/public debate should hold no water in football. It is my opinion that true private school dominance should be in the "country club" sports; golf, tennis, swimming, volleyball, and to a lesser extent, soccer. Probably not the most politically corretct thing to state, but look at everything that has been written about the split, and this is not the worst.