Here is a challenge for you

stick1

Everytime the Public/Private debate comes up I cringe when people don't understand that there is a HUGE difference in the number of kids at different Private schools. I keep seeing the complaining about the percentage of Private schools winning championships etc.

I challenge one of you numbers kind of people to go back the past five years and give me the percent of Privates that have won the 1A each year, 2A each year, 3A each year (football) We know Trinity and X dominate the 4A class. I would love for somebody to give the % of champions the last 5 years in 1A through 3A for each year. I think it should squash the crying of unfair advantage of Private schools!

Example:

1A 80%

2A 2% etc

I don't think anyone understands what you want.

If you want the private Class A champs it would be one (NCC) this year. If you want the private Class AA champs it would be one (NCC ) in 1984. If you want private Class AAA champs it would be this year (LexCath) and CovCath in 1987, 1988, 1993, 1994, 1997.

I don't think anyone understands what you want.

If you want the private Class A champs it would be one (NCC) this year. If you want the private Class AA champs it would be one (NCC ) in 1984. If you want private Class AAA champs it would be this year (LexCath) and CovCath in 1987, 1988, 1993, 1994, 1997.

That's what I would like to see. A breakdown over the last 5 or ten years of Private school Championships in football in each class by %. So if 1A was won one time in 10 years then it would be 10% of the time over ten years 1A has won it. I'd like to see this for 1A, 2A and 3A. I see all the time % thrown around how it's unfair that the Private schools have an advantage. I think it's a crock. If you take Trinity and X out of the equation then there isn't much of an argument.

If you are going to do it that way, you need two separate percentages.

I mean if there are only 4 1A Private schools and 52 public schhols, you really need to see both the precentages to get an accurate feel I would think. I don't know what the breakdown is. 4 was a guess. I know NCC and LCA...

Private school state championships from 1991-2005 (15 year period)

1A - 0 (not sure how many privates play football in this class)

2A - 0 (4% are privates for 14 yrs and 6% this year)

3A - 4 (27% of the time while 4% of the teams are private(5yrs) and 2%(10 yrs)are private schools.)

4A - 10 (67% of the time while only 4% of total are private)

3A - 4 (27% of the time while 4% of the teams are private(5yrs) and 2%(10 yrs)are private schools.)

Do you have the stats for the past 10 years?

Ummmm. Doesn't NCC state championship this year count as one?

From 1996 to 2005 (10 year period) on the KHSAA website the number of private schools that have won state titles looks like this:

Class 4A 80% of the state title were won by privates.

Class 3A 20% of the state titles were won by privates

Class 2A 0% of the state titles were won by privates

Class 1A 10% of the state titles were won by privates.

From 1996 to 2005 (10 year period) on the KHSAA website the number of private schools that have won state titles looks like this:

Class 4A 80% of the state title were won by privates.

Class 3A 20% of the state titles were won by privates

Class 2A 0% of the state titles were won by privates

Class 1A 10% of the state titles were won by privates.

That's what I was wanting to know and is pretty much what I thought. The argument that football needs to go to a Public vs Private is a bad one. Trinity and St X have dominated 4A but the other classes are in great shape. The Private schools aren't dominating the other three classes at all. These figures get thrown around all the time but the bottom line is that if you take X and Trinity out there is no argument for a split as far as football goes! There is no simple answer to the X and T dominance. They have more kids to chose from which is an advantage. You have schools like Henderson Co with close to the numbers but only about 35 dressing (or at least that's what they say) and a couple of more schools close to their size but nowhere near their accomplishments (although John Hardin took some HUGE strides this year). There is always going to be a numbers advantage until we have more BIG schools in the state. Public/Private isn't the poblem. I would also love to know how a school like Owensboro Catholic is on a "level playing field" when they play one of those two big schools? There isn't a simple answer but it bugs me how the numbers are scewed and the simple minded people that don't really know what's going on can't see the big picture.

Private school supporters need to understand something. The proposed seperation isn't about leveling the playing field, it isn't about football, it isn't about fairness. It is about eliminating competition, period.

As stated earlier most private schools don't even field a football team. This is just as much about the small private schools as it is X or Trinity. Here in Boyd Co is about eliminating Rose Hill from the basketball picture. Anyone on this end of the state who claims to be concerned about X and Trinity is full of manure.

That's what I was wanting to know and is pretty much what I thought. The argument that football needs to go to a Public vs Private is a bad one. Trinity and St X have dominated 4A but the other classes are in great shape. The Private schools aren't dominating the other three classes at all. These figures get thrown around all the time but the bottom line is that if you take X and Trinity out there is no argument for a split as far as football goes! There is no simple answer to the X and T dominance. They have more kids to chose from which is an advantage.

I AGREE!

The problem isnt Private vs Public, noone is arguing about Desales, Holy Cross, Collegiate or some of the other SMALL schools. The only ones really with an unfair advantage are X and Trinity. They are simply to large to only field one team and expect to be considered fair. I have said it before, I would expect both of those schools to recognize this unfair advantage and address it out of good sportsmanship. The 2 largest public schools still have 25% fewer males enrolled, most publics average 40%-50% fewer males in their enrollment than X and T.

I have heard so much criticisim of Lex. Catholic I am beginning to believe they may have some ethics issues, but the folks I know at X and T have always been about being fair and doing whats best for their kids. The numbers are only going to go up for X and T, congrats to them for having such great schools that so many kids want to attend. But some kids dont want to attend for various reasons and they should still be able to compete athletically against teams from a student body of similar size, not a 40%-50% difference.

That's what I was wanting to know and is pretty much what I thought. The argument that football needs to go to a Public vs Private is a bad one. Trinity and St X have dominated 4A but the other classes are in great shape. The Private schools aren't dominating the other three classes at all. These figures get thrown around all the time but the bottom line is that if you take X and Trinity out there is no argument for a split as far as football goes! There is no simple answer to the X and T dominance. They have more kids to chose from which is an advantage. You have schools like Henderson Co with close to the numbers but only about 35 dressing (or at least that's what they say) and a couple of more schools close to their size but nowhere near their accomplishments (although John Hardin took some HUGE strides this year). There is always going to be a numbers advantage until we have more BIG schools in the state. Public/Private isn't the poblem. I would also love to know how a school like Owensboro Catholic is on a "level playing field" when they play one of those two big schools? There isn't a simple answer but it bugs me how the numbers are scewed and the simple minded people that don't really know what's going on can't see the big picture.

Stats are great if you look at them very narrowly. Two stats that puts a better focus on your stats is the number of private teams competing. For example, if there have been 4 private school state champions during that time, it is impressive if there are only 3-4 private 3A schools competing against 40-50 public schools.

The article in another thread pointed out that 5 of the 8 state finalists were private schools and the 3 publics DID NOT have a private school to compete against in their region.

Also, you have made this argument exclusively about football. While it is a straw and maybe the last straw that broke the camel's back, it is not the only straw. You must look at the domination in girls sports and other sporting areas.