Covington Catholic has New Coach

For those that are interested......

Covington Catholic High School has named Scott Ruthsatz as its Head Basketball Coach. Scott has a degree from Heidelberg College; a B.B.A. degree in accounting from The Ohio State University, and an M.B.A. from the University of Notre Dame. His experiences as a basketball coach include an assistant coaching position at the college level at Heidelberg, a head coaching tenure at St. Mary Central Catholic High School in Sandusky, Ohio, and most recently he was an assistant coach at St. Anthony High School in Jersey City, New Jersey. At St. Anthony he worked under the guidance of Hall of Fame Coach Bob Hurley Sr. and this year was instrumental in St. Anthony attaining a 33-0 record and the 2011 High School National Championship.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a pretty strong resume to me. Good luck to the new coach. My understanding as well as the the coach will be introduced Monday nite to the team and parents. I am guessing will be a pretty good crowd.

I also should say THANKS to the committee and administration for selecting someone who appears to have all the credentials to get Cov Cath basketball to where we would all like it to be.

Although I still feel that unless a change is made at AD, this could be a challenge:D

From St. Anthony's website:

Mr. Scott Ruthsatz came to St. Anthony High School from Sandusky, Ohio. He has undergraduate degrees in Economics and Accounting and a Master of Business Administration. Mr. Ruthsatz is an assistant varsity basketball coach at St. Anthony High School and is Dean of Discipline. He has owned a company that distributes carbon dioxide for fountain beverage systems. As owner-president, he has become responsible for all financial aspects of the company. The company has over 700 customers in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

From the CovCath web site....

New Basketball Coach Announced!

Posted 05/13/2011 05:20PM

Covington Catholic High School has named Scott Ruthsatz as its Head Basketball Coach.

The last few weeks has been busy for the selection committee for the next head coach of the coveted CCH basketball team. Following in the footsteps of Colonel legends, the next coach needed to be exceptional not only on the court, but inside the classroom as well. The committee had over 50 qualified applications to make their choice from, however a coach from New Jersy stood above the rest. The Colonel Family welcomes Scott Ruthsatz as the new Head Basketball Coach.

Scott has a degree from Heidelberg College; a B.B.A. degree in accounting from The Ohio State University, and an M.B.A. from the University of Notre Dame. His experiences as a basketball coach include an assistant coaching position at the college level at Heidelberg, a head coaching tenure at St. Mary Central Catholic High School in Sandusky, Ohio, and most recently he was an assistant coach at St. Anthony High School in Jersey City, New Jersey. At St. Anthony he worked under the guidance of Hall of Fame Coach Bob Hurley Sr. and this year was instrumental in St. Anthony attaining a 33-0 record and the 2011 High School National Championship.

Bob Rowe made the announcement this afternnoon: “I am very pleased that a thorough and extensive search has led us to a new coach in Scott Ruthsatz. He brings us a successful career as a coach and I feel confident he will have much success here at Covington Catholic. I am also pleased that he has put considerable emphasis on excellence in the classroom and the students’ faith.”

Athletic Director, Mike Guidugli agrees that Ruthsatz is the right choice for CCH.

“Covington Catholic has an outstanding basketball tradition that is now in the very capable hands of Scott Ruthsatz. His knowledge and his passion for the game are impressive on their own, but combined with his ability to lead, and his proven work ethic he will be a great addition to our athletic staff.”

Even though he hates to see Ruthsatz leave his program, Bob Hurley Sr. had this to say about his assistant, “Over the last three years I have watched Scott become more comfortable and confident and in turn have delegated more responsibilities to him. Scott has a true passion for the sport, a passion he has carried since his years playing in high school and college. Now he derives satisfaction from teaching the game and watching young people grow. Scott is a knowledgeable coach who relates well with his players and has excellent rapport with them on the court and in the classroom. In addition, he is a wonderful family man and a devout Catholic who values the role faith plays in the lives of his student athletes.”

Scott Ruthsatz is thrilled to be returning closer to this region. “I am very excited and appreciative to Mr. Bob Rowe, Mr. Mike Guidugli and the entire basketball selection committee for giving me this opportunity and I look forward to being a part of the proud tradition and rich history of Covington Catholic.”

“Kentucky High School basketball has a great national reputation and I look forward to competing against some of the best coaches in the state. I am eager to develop the student-athletes of Covington Catholic by improving their individual skill level and passion for the game through great attention to detail and commitment to hard work.”

Coach Ruthsatz will meet the team and parents Monday night at 7:30 in the school gym.

That is an impressive resume. Congrats to the Colonels on what looks like a great hire!

Very impressive!

WOW! Very nice!

Also, very cool to get someone from outside of NKY with such a strong resume.

Bringing his impressive resume and combining that with KHSAA not having restrictions on out-of-state players, watch out.

With Mr.Ruthsatz's experience and ties to a national power that puts players into big time D1 programs he should be able to make a huge impact in this region and state.

By region, I mean Tri-State area I feel that his reputation will be a HUGE draw for local basketball players.

Then you read were his HC, Mr. Hurley says that he is a "wonderful family man and a devout Catholic who values the role faith plays in the lives of his student athletes” couple that with his apparent passion for molding players both on and of the court.

It appears that CCH has hit one out of the park!

Good Luck Coach!

Wow very nice...Could he build Cov Cath into a sort of prep school almost bringing in the best catholic school kids from NKY year in year out...I know with that resume as a parent I would send my kid to play for him, he definitely knows what it takes to get his players to the highest level of college basketball...