Beechwood vs Cov Cath 4/20 Predictions

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it's a KHSAA rule that no alcohol is to be served. They didn't serve it in the 9th region tournament the last few years. Plus the sales would be down since all Cov Cath faithfuls would have snuck in their own!:D

That's a fair point. We wouldn't sneak it in though since Clint is a fellow fishhead but we would tailgate.

I believe it's a KHSAA rule that no alcohol is to be served.D

Partially correct.

The KHSAA only gets involved in post-season. During the regular season it's up to the local schools/regions to decide. However, do not be surprised to see that change and the KHSAA ban it altogether.

Partially correct.

The KHSAA only gets involved in post-season. During the regular season it's up to the local schools/regions to decide. However, do not be surprised to see that change and the KHSAA ban it altogether.

I do not believe there is any regular season rule that prevents two teams from playing at a venue that legally serves alcohol. It cannot be sold if the event takes place on school grounds obviously. I was told Freedom specifically contacted KHSAA and was told it was acceptable for them to sell alcohol. Unless there was some allegation that Freedom was serving people under 21, I just don't see why the big objection. Alcohol is served at many school-related functions which kids are around - festivals, fundraisers, sports stag nights, etc.... I heard beer was served at the BHS-NCC game last weekend and apparently there were no problems - no fights, no serving kids, etc... Apparently a great crowd and great atmosphere. Shame that it now becomes more difficult to use the Freedom's field, as the gate for most regular season games isn't enough to offset Freedom's costs and they will no longer be able to let teams play for free.

I do not believe there is any regular season rule that prevents two teams from playing at a venue that legally serves alcohol..

You are correct.

It is going to be looked at again though so that could change.

If it's allowed then why not sell beer at all high school football games? What's the difference. As long as people are ID'd and it's not sold to minors. Could raise alot of money for the athletic programs.

Coop, BW was not allowed to play for free against NCC on Sunday. It was stipulated that if the 5.00 coverage charge for the fans covered Freedom's cost then it would be free. So whoever told you otherwise is not telling you the truth. Even if it was Clint Brown. He told me differently Sunday night.

If it's allowed then why not sell beer at all high school football games? What's the difference. As long as people are ID'd and it's not sold to minors. Could raise alot of money for the athletic programs.

Coop, BW was not allowed to play for free against NCC on Sunday. It was stipulated that if the 5.00 coverage charge for the fans covered Freedom's cost then it would be free. So whoever told you otherwise is not telling you the truth. Even if it was Clint Brown. He told me differently Sunday night.

But the gate fees did, in fact, cover the cost, correct? I heard there were 300+ fans there that night, so at $5 a head, that would have more than covered their expense. And yes, it was Clint Brown.

I can understand a philosophical objection to serving alcohol on school grounds. Probably doesn't project quite the image that school/athletic boards are seeking. I don't, however, see why a business/venue that regularly sells alcohol, has a valid license, and no history of serving to minors should have to alter their revenue stream when they offer to allow high school teams to use their facility. Especially when such sales allow them to offer the facility to the teams for free (or at a reduced rate).

No matter where a high school game is played, beer sales should not take place. It does not project the proper image to our young people. The Freedom should be able to get by with Gate and regular concession sales at these games period.

No matter where a high school game is played, beer sales should not take place. It does not project the proper image to our young people. The Freedom should be able to get by with Gate and regular concession sales at these games period.

Some of these games at the Freedom draw no more than 60-70 people, sometimes less. Gate admission hardly covers that, especially when your $3 ticket also gets you a free drink at the concession stand. Fans are only there for 2 1/2 hours at most, so they don't exactly do raging concession sales. I'm assuming you feel no beer either at all the festivals that hundreds and hundreds of students attend every weekend in the late Spring and Summer?

The young people at the Freedom are either playing the game or watching the game. They could care less, nor are they morally harmed, because a couple of adults around them are drinking beers. It's no worse than taking them to Applebee's where adults at the next table (or the very table where the kids sit) are drinking alcohol. If they (Freedom) start having issues - loud, obnoxious, drunk patrons or drinks getting into the hands of minors - then I can understand. Otherwise, hard to see the harm in it, especially if it is what the Freedom needs to open up their park for free for these games. What a great experience for these high schoolers.

It's been a few years, but last time I went to Chucky Cheese's, of all places, you could by a beer. I would say there's a few youngster's running around there. Beer is a legal product and should be allowed to be served at the owner's place provided he has a license.

Charge $5 to get in. Standard rate for a high school varsity sport. I would bet that most high school administrators would have an issue with this. A restaurant or a festival is not the same to me. This is a high school event and no other high school event in the state in any sport serves alcohol. (that I know of) We will have to agree to disagree on this one Coop.

Some of these games at the Freedom draw no more than 60-70 people, sometimes less. Gate admission hardly covers that, especially when your $3 ticket also gets you a free drink at the concession stand. Fans are only there for 2 1/2 hours at most, so they don't exactly do raging concession sales. I'm assuming you feel no beer either at all the festivals that hundreds and hundreds of students attend every weekend in the late Spring and Summer?

The young people at the Freedom are either playing the game or watching the game. They could care less, nor are they morally harmed, because a couple of adults around them are drinking beers. It's no worse than taking them to Applebee's where adults at the next table (or the very table where the kids sit) are drinking alcohol. If they (Freedom) start having issues - loud, obnoxious, drunk patrons or drinks getting into the hands of minors - then I can understand. Otherwise, hard to see the harm in it, especially if it is what the Freedom needs to open up their park for free for these games. What a great experience for these high schoolers.

I agree. I honestly don't think the kids or schools are affected if beer is served until there is a issue. Freedom is nice enough to let them use the field let them try to make some cash!