2011 Boys' Kentucky All-Star Basketball Roster

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the players who made the team. There was a lot of good talent on display and some very good players did not make the team.

Not so sure what the perfect system would be to pick a team and until someone can come up with a better way this is pretty much what we have. All Star games have become increasingly less important to the kids with the growth of AAU. These guys already play against these players every summer on the circuit. I think it is more important to the fans than it is to the players as you can see from the level of players that chose to not even try out.

Congrats to the players who made the team. There was a lot of good talent on display and some very good players did not make the team.

Not so sure what the perfect system would be to pick a team and until someone can come up with a better way this is pretty much what we have. All Star games have become increasingly less important to the kids with the growth of AAU. These guys already play against these players every summer on the circuit. I think it is more important to the fans than it is to the players as you can see from the level of players that chose to not even try out.

Poor system of selection, I agree with you.

How do other states pick them?

Honestly, I think an exclusive group of BGP members should pick the team and the coaches. Most reputable source for Ky High School athletics and every region would seen, heard and represented. The group could take feedback from the board and I'd be willing to bet money a team the whole state could get behind would be picked. Wishful thinking though......I know.

I'm not defending any of the choices, but I've seen instances over the years where the coaching staff makes a selection or two based on how a certain player fits (or doesn't fit) in their system. My guess is that happened here with one or two picks.

I'm not defending any of the choices, but I've seen instances over the years where the coaching staff makes a selection or two based on how a certain player fits (or doesn't fit) in their system. My guess is that happened here with one or two picks.

And this is why Kentucky is miserable in the series.

First off, congrats to all those who made the team. I look forward to watching this game at Bellarmine on June 10th.

Secondly, I would love to hear how the coaches came up with this team and how and why they chose each individual player just so I can understand the process they used to pick this team.

Thirdly, I am not going to pick and choose who should be off and on the team in my opinion. I wasn't at tryouts nor do I have a say in who makes the team. I will say I am definitely surprised that Kimbro, Parker, Shanklin, Jackson and Knipp didn't make the team.

Good luck to those who made it and good luck to the team. I look forward to the game.

A mature approach, PP92.

Every coach has a picture of the type of "team" he wants to put together. You can't simply put the 10 best players regardless of position on the team. In addition, if you plan on pressing your team is going to look different than if you're going to play a zone and pound it inside offensively.

You then have intangibles like attitude and hustle involved. I'll always defer to the coach to pick his team. I refuse to believe a coach is going in with the idea of losing the game therefore I suspect he's picking the boys that he THINKS will help the cause.

How do other states pick them?

Honestly, I think an exclusive group of BGP members should pick the team and the coaches. Most reputable source for Ky High School athletics and every region would seen, heard and represented. The group could take feedback from the board and I'd be willing to bet money a team the whole state could get behind would be picked. Wishful thinking though......I know.

You can't be serious?