2011 Boys' Kentucky All-Star Basketball Roster

I agree with MNCM 100 percent. Congratulations to all those who got to try out and to those picked for the team. Im happy to see a nice tenth region presence on the team.

Ive seen a lot of Gilbert and Smith; Id give the slight edge to Gilbert overall and that is no offense to Smith at all. Both are very good point guards.

Gilbert is a very nice player and would agree with an earlier poster that he was the most underrated player on Mason County the past couple of years. I would state that if he played his way onto the KY All Star team with a great tryout over Shanklin & Smith even better for him. However, to state that overall he is a better player than Smith overall?? I don't think you have seen Smith play very often with that statement. Smith averaged 19.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg and 7.5 apg this season and he was voted by the Northern Kentucky Basketball Coaches as their D1 POY and Defensive POY. Smith will also be getting his education paid for at the D2 level. Led Scott to their 4th consecutive District Championship and was MVP for the tournament for the 3rd year in a row in the toughest district in the 10th Region. Intangibles...led a team with very average talent to 19 wins, district championship and regional semifinal. Basketball IQ....his coach has been quoted as saying he is the smartest player he has ever coached.

While you might have seen a lot of Gilbert I don't think you have seen a lot of Smith....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the Ky all star roster from the Ky/Ohio game. Only 4 players different from that roster. Ohio came back and beat this team. Will those 4 players make a huge difference? We all know that the Indiana All Star team is much better than the Ohio team. What were the players stats from the Ohio/Ky all star game?

Player

High School

Ht

Position

Remy Abell

Eastern

6’4

Guard

George Fant

Warren Central

6’7

Forward

Chris Freeman

Muhlenberg County

6’5

Guard/Forward

Lyonell Gaines

Eastern

6’6

Forward

Anthony Hickey

Christian County

5’11

Guard

Jermaine Jackson

Iroquois

6’5

Forward

Donovan Kates

Christian County

6’5

Guard/Forward

Tony Kimbro, Jr.

Jeffersontown

6’5

Guard/Forward

Timmy Knipp

Elliott County

6’7

Forward

DeOndre McWhorter

Moore

6’8

Forward/Center

Jordan Percell

Cambellsville

6’7

Forward

Jordan Shanklin

Warren Central

6’0

Guard

Treg Setty

Mason County

6’8

Forward

Ryan Taylor

Western

6’6

Forward

Kameron Woods

Eastern

6’9

Forward/Center

Stats form the Ky/Ohio all star game. We will have to play much better than that to beat this Ind. team.

Remy Abell led all Kentucky scorers with 20 points, Anthony Hickey was named Co-MVP and finished with 14 points. The Breakdown in scoring includes: Timmy Knipp (13), Jermaine Jackson (11), George Fant (8), DeOndre McWhorter (7), Jordan Shanklin, Ryan Taylor (5) Donovan Kates, Lyonell Gaines and Chris Freeman (3).Treg Setty(0).

Jordan Percell (0),Tony Kimbro, Jr. (0).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kentucky boys might not have all their stars

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/06/10/1769253/kentucky-boys-might-not-have-all.html#ixzz1OryTuQwe

Glen Drury, coach of the Kentucky All-Star boys' basketball team, seems sure that his players will give their all.

He's just not sure who all the players are who will be at his disposal when the Kentuckians take on their Indiana counterparts Friday at Louisville's Bellarmine University and Saturday in Indianapolis' Conseco Fieldhouse.

After reading that article I admire and respect Vinny Zollo even more today. Those two spots on the team could have gone to two other people. I understand they have classes and it's all about their education and I applaud them for making their classes a priority. That doesn't change the fact that they could have given their spots up. Two kids didn't make the team so Hickey and Fant could "maybe" show up for the games this weekend. Just seems kind of unfair to me.

After reading that article I admire and respect Vinny Zollo even more today. Those two spots on the team could have gone to two other people. I understand they have classes and it's all about their education and I applaud them for making their classes a priority. That doesn't change the fact that they could have given their spots up. Two kids didn't make the team so Hickey and Fant could "maybe" show up for the games this weekend. Just seems kind of unfair to me.

Thank you and I agree. I know Zollo and Stenzel got bashed on here for not trying out. Hickey is Mr. Basketball , so he didn't have to try out, but with Fant and Hicky missing practice all week, really effects how the coaches can prepare for these All Star games. Can you imagine if you had 4 players out all week of practices.